"Star Wars: A New Hope" by "George Lucas" [Del Rey, 1976]

Discussion in 'Literature Review Forum' started by Errant_Venture, Feb 7, 2004.

?

"Star Wars: A New Hope" by "George Lucas" [Del Rey, 1976]

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
10 (Excellent) 18 vote(s) 47.4%
9 5 vote(s) 13.2%
8 7 vote(s) 18.4%
7 5 vote(s) 13.2%
6 (Average) 1 vote(s) 2.6%
5 (Average) 0 vote(s) 0.0%
4 0 vote(s) 0.0%
3 2 vote(s) 5.3%
2 0 vote(s) 0.0%
1 (Poor) 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus

star 6
  2. Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Star Wars: A New Hope by "George Lucas" ghost written by Alan Dean Foster.

[image=http://www.theforce.net/books/images/c_sw_1ed.jpg]

Synopsis

Luke Skywalker dreamed of advantues out among the stars and alien worlds. But when he intercepted a message from a beautiful captive princess, he got more than he had bargained for--and that was how the adventure of his life began....
  3. The Gatherer Jedi Youngling

star 6
    My favourite part is the prologue. Who would have thought that out of such a small writing, that George Lucas could have extrapolated it into the prequel trilogy.
  4. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling

star 10
  5. LaYa_ Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  6. MyEternalRest Jedi Knight

star 2

Among other things, my favorite except from any EU book that I have so far read is found in this book, loosley quoted here(As Luke and company are blasting off of Tatooine):

...And then, for no apparent reason, Luke found himself thinking about a dog he used to have.

7. hansen Force Ghost

star 4
    I gave it a 9. It's the best novelization of them all, and actually the best Star Wars novel of them all.
  8. Grand_Duchess_Olga Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    10, because it's a good read.

One funny part, though. When Obi-Wan is explaining the Force to Luke in his hut, Obi-Wan says no one knows where the Force comes from, scientist one day might though. Guess Obi-Wan was asleep in class the day Midichlorians were mentioned ;). Honestly, that is so minor, I'm not bothered by it, it's good for a chuckle.
  9. fett 4 Chosen One

star 4
    Hmm I always thought thew original idea for Palpatine a guy who lost touch and was in the control of yes men and boot lickers was more interesting than as an evil Sith Lord.
  10. Grand_Duchess_Olga Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    nah, I kind of like him to be evil. Or we would get a story of a befuddled but generally ok fellow who was emperor, who had the Rebel Alliance kick sence into him, and he gets rid of the bootlickers and then there will be a golden age. Too many movies are like that.
  11. Boba_Fett_123 Jedi Master

star 4
    Er...This one is tough. Alan Dean Foster is a bit lacking in talent, and it would be interesting to see what would have happened if Lucas actually wrote this. This is too sci-fi for me. It loses a sense of wonder, as well, from screen to paper. I don't know, this one just doesn't do it for me. Sorry.

12. neeldawg66 Force Ghost

star 8

Still a great read. Even after all these years, multiple readings and countless viewings over the years.
  13. andre Jedi Knight

This gave me a fresh look at something I've seen hundreds of times. In that respect it was very exciting for me. I also loved the participation of all the scenes that were cut from the film, which up until now I never cared to examine.

I give this a 9 because it's like a great new taste to an old favourite flavour of mine!

Everything felt so retro sci-fi, and specific, and although the final portions of the novel were somewhat slower I could always see some humor I hadn't before, or define the answers to questions the film posed for me, mostly logistics.

And perhaps only now I'll able myself to appricate this as the best part of the saga. If you've never given this a read threw, and you've seen the movie dozens of times, read it. You'll get a kick out of it!
  14. Darth_KindaEvilGuy Jedi Knight

star 1
    I always liked the quote at the end of the Prologue:

"They were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Naturally, they became heroes."
    -Leia Organa of Alderaan, Senator

When I was a kid, the subtitle "From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker" always made me think that there a whole slew of books out there that they were making into movies. I can remember looking in every book store I could find to see if they had the book for the next movie that would be made (hey, I was 8).
  15. Cloned_Sidious Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    The best book, because it was the first.
  16. Obi_one_and_only Jedi Grand Master

star 5
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.