main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars about Exar Kun

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DARTH_MARSHALL, Jun 27, 2005.

1. DARTH_MARSHALL

DARTH_MARSHALL Jedi Youngling

Jun 11, 2005
    I think that Exar Kun is perfect person for a movie.
    Opinions?

2. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    Unless they do a TV series about TOTJ, he won't be in any movies.

3. Mythra

Mythra Jedi Youngling

Jun 16, 2005
    Yes, but the more... "junior" star wars fans might not know who he is and would not make the effort to expand their view of the star wars universe to a totally different age in the star wars history, with a different feel, a different intensity and no princesses (:_| ).

Unless Exar Kun action figures or whatever start selling like mad, it ain't gonna happen. [face_shame_on_you]

4. Sith-Pirate

Sith-Pirate Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2001
    Yeah, I think he should be played by a thin Steven Segal or Antonio Banderas.

The only two actors I've seen who don't look too bad in a pony tail. ;)

I always thought the Sith War would make a great movie. There's so much of the war that the comic simply doesn't cover.

Sudooku likes this.
  5. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    They seem a bit old for Exar Kun, anyways, it would be cool if they made a novel for each of the TOTJ, expanding on it and making it better

6. Sith-Pirate

Nov 16, 2001
    Segal might be, but they could use make-up. look at the cover art for the individual comics with Exar Kun on the front. He at least looks mid-thirties-ish.

7. phantasm66

phantasm66 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 31, 2000
    Segal? oof

I think I'd spring for Christian Bale over Segal..

8. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Hmmm...Seagal. I could see that. I kid, of course.

But seriously though, as bad as his films have become, there is no question that he was turning out great stuff between '90 and '95. I'm not big on Out for Justice (love the pool hall scene, hate the accent -- anyone know why he did BOB-EE LU-PO??), but the rest is like boffo. If I had to pick one for a DVD special edition, I'd go with Marked for Death. At the very least, FOX needs to get enough taffy together to persuade Seagal to join Keith David to do a commentary for this action classic.

I like to imagine that Seagal's entire career was an Eliza Doolittle exercise; that one of Hollywood's most powerful agents could turn anybody into a star: "Hey, what about that guy you take Aikido from on Wednesdays? He has no charisma whatsoever." "You're on, my friend."

And a star was born.

Not to say he hasn't made some highly entertaining movies post-1996, but I think he simply stopped caring about his films the moment he got sent out with a cruel and unceremonious "Colonel, we're not gonna make it."

They say he died getting sucked out thirty thousand feet in the air...but I believe he died of a broken heart.

JechtShotMK9 likes this.
  9. Sith-Pirate

Nov 16, 2001
    I've honestly only seen a few of his movies. But I think it was Marked for Death that he showed a cocky and sarcastic sense of humor.

I thought it would work using that humor while having him play a bad guy (like Exar Kun). After all Seagal never did play a bad guy before did he?

Plus he's capable of doing his own stunts since he's a martial arts expert.

10. Mythra

Mythra Jedi Youngling

Jun 16, 2005
    Maybe Hugo Weaving

[image=http://www.my65cuda.net/Elrond.jpg]

11. Telbithus

Telbithus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 24, 2005
    ooo i enjoy hugo weaving and i believe he could pull it off. maybe even viggo mortenson ( he may not work because most people have seen him as a hero and would not want to see him as a villain) and i may be crufcified but i think maybe even collin ferral could pull it off..he has a crazy look about him lol.

can someone explain TOTJ

12. Mythra

Mythra Jedi Youngling

Jun 16, 2005
    Tales Of The Jedi... 5000 to 4000 years before A New Hope... What do you mean "explain" it? What do you want to know?

Bruce Payne for Exar Kun ?...[face_tired]

[image=http://ecomm.mercanti.it/dvdstore/Foto/DPT1374_1030908160530.JPG]

13. Telbithus

Telbithus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 24, 2005
    i just wanted to know the meaning of the abbreviation...im trying to catalogue them for the use of anyone who needs them into one easy nto navigate topic

14. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    I prefer Hard to Kill to Marked for Death by a very slim margin, partly because it was the first Seagal I saw, but mostly for the laugh-'till-it-hurts gurney-escape scene. Although Marked for Death concludes with one of the most gloriously brutal killings ever. There is enough brutality and one-liners in that film for a series of lesser films. I'm saddened by his films today, and remember lovingly being there at the video store on release day to watch Sensei damage people in the best possible ways.

It's probably true that Executive Decision may have been the first sign of trouble for Seagal. With that cast it should have been the Delta Force for the '90s, with Seagal taking the Lee Marvin role. If you must, kill him off at the end, not 40 minutes into the thing.

After the Eskimo junk, On Deadly Ground turns into a halfway-decent film, thanks mainly to R. Lee Ermey and his squad of mercs on Seagal's trail. And Sven Ole Thorsen. When you make it through the Eskimo stuff, you get to see Seagal kill Billy Bob Thornton, R. Lee Ermey, John C. McGinley, and Michael Caine in a span of 10 minutes. I can't say many bad things about a film that pulls off this amazing quartet of kills.

I also think the fight scenes are pretty brutal. Under Siege is a better movie, but I think Ground is a little more of a throwback to his badass persona. Plus, he makes a silencer out of a two-liter bottle of soda. I have no idea if that would work, but it sure looked cool.

I think the first film of his that really went south for me was Fire Down Below, because it simply felt like an over blown episode of Walker: Texas Ranger. If I recall correctly, no one died in that one, and people got tired of his rantings about the environment. NO ONE DIED! IN A SEAGAL FLICK! That's just plain wrong.

I liked Seagal's brief comeback in Exit Wounds, because it showed he could still play a character that wasn't all about preaching about the environment and wearing flashy jackets. It took Seagal back to old fashioned crooked-cop type stuff, and I could overlook DMX being in it. Sadly, Seagal threw the credibility he got from Wounds away with Half Past Dead, a film that has some moments of interest (including Claudia Christian), but really sets the stage for the movies Seagal is doing today.

15. DarthRavenus

DarthRavenus Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2005
    Andrian Paul for Exar Kun...Bruce Payne would make a wicked Freedon Nadd and Micheal Ironside as Marka Ragnos!

Sudooku likes this.
  16. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    As an addendum to this whole discussion, my personal picks for screen-villainry:

FAVORITE BAD DUDES WHO ARE STILL ALIVE, AND I'M GUESSING COULD USE THE WORK:

Stacy Keach
    John Saxon
    Henry Silva
    William "Big Bill" Smith
    Richard Lynch
    Bill McKinney
    Ed O' Ross
    James Remar
    David Patrick Kelly

In an offshoot of the main discussion, regardless of who you cast as the main villain, his team of henchmen should include any one or all of the following:

Al Leong
    Danny Trejo
    Michael Berryman
    Chiaki Kuriyama
    Michael Madsen (as long as he's not in Sin City mode)
    Sid Haig
    Branscombe Richmond (in many ways, the thinking man's Al Leong)
    The Legendary Nick Dimitri
    Basil "stop di blaadclaat cryin" Wallace
    Sir Juicy of Busey

(feel free to add your own)

As for main villains, I want to throw in Erik Todd Dellums, who was amazing as Luther Mahoney on Homicide. He's a woefully underused actor with a load of talent, and I'd kill to see him get another meaty lead villain role before I die.

Leong and Trejo are awesome henchmen, but I believe Patrick Kilpatrick should be part of that holy trinity. Just don't make him the main bad guy, or you end up with Death Warrant.

He was the Russian ambassador in The Hunt for Red October, and the nice old hockey-skate maker in The Mighty Ducks. But before that, he was one evil bastard in Lethal Weapon II. I give you the fat, the bald, the accented...Joss Ackland:

"Diplomatic Immunity --!!"

BLAMMM!!!!

"-- Has just been revoked."

Wonder about Brian Bosworth as a baddie, ever since Stone Cold? Good Lord, I can't believe I've seen (at least) three Bosworth movies.

I wonder how close to Hitler my special place in hell is.

17. Sith-Pirate

Nov 16, 2001
    Hey, that's a good one! Andrian Paul would make an awesome Exar Kun.

Sudooku likes this.
  18. DarthRavenus

DarthRavenus Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2005
    Frank Langella was fantastic as Skeletor(He wouldve been my pick as Magneto in X-men)...He would make an excellent Sith lord!

19. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

If you think I'm going to sit in a cinema hearing Kun pronounced Koon by some yankee for two hours when sun and fun are pronounced correctly, stop hitting the bottle.

I have Kun's battle armour, by the way. Anyone jealous?

20. Sith-Pirate

Nov 16, 2001
    Well this yankee happens to agree with you Excellence. :p I will always say Kun pronounced the same as gun.

21. razzy1319

razzy1319 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2004
    [image=http://us.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0297181/ISpy2.jpg]

i vote for the guy on the left

22. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Unlocked and bumped by request.

23. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003