main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars about Exar Kun

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DARTH_MARSHALL, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Chromide

Chromide Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    I haven't read much of the comics, or much pre-republic or Old Republic, but I do know that Exar Kun's spirit messed with Luke Skywalker and one of his trainees on Yavin IV, so that's pretty cool..... and probably would make him not over rated.

darklordoftech likes this.
  2. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    Hi Chromide,

IMHO Exar Kun cannot be overrated. :D He was not only a super-powerful master in the force, an unmatched swordsmaster who invented the double-bladed lightsaber. He was also an incredibly apt sith-sorcerer. And a shrewd and charming manipulator not only of individuals but of crowds too. Not to forget his outstanding and sure fashion-taste and always impeccable appearance.

If there is a title like "Sith of Hearts" it belongs clearly to Exar Kun. And that with 24 years in age only if I can believe SW Fanon.

3. Chromide

Chromide Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    What about Darth Bane? Wouldn't he be better than Exar Kun?
    Not that I know anything about the Old Republic, but what about Ludo Kressh?

4. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    If you look at concept art for the episode, it's pretty clear the Sith Academy from TOR was the direct inspiration for their design of Bane's tomb.

5. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

Darth Bane arguably knows more about Sith philosophy and doctrine than Kun. His Rule of Two is the embodiment of the egocentric goal of the Sith: Only the strongest shall rule, and only the mightiest can overthrow the ruler. It's all about I. Exar Kun, Naga Sadow, Ludo Kressh, and others were ancient Sith who were like the foundation of a building. All of it led to Darth Sidious, the main antagonist of Star Wars. Everything led up to him and those Sith that followed him struggled to catch up.

Chromide likes this.
  6. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    Now in my country they show in free-tv "Ninjago" season 4 "Tournament of Elements". This Clouse is looking very much like Exar Kun while Chen could be Freedon Nadd while still alive as a ghost and they even have some red-dressed massassi-like servants and adorers. What they do in that season? Try to win the Ninjas over. And some hidden agenda. Just check it out!

Also mentionable in this regard: The episode "Winds of Change" in Season 5 "Possession". Where Sensei Wu (Vodo-Siosk Baas) is deploring the fate of his once best, now fallen apart apprentice Morro, the Ghost-Ninja.

7. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    I only realized Ezra's scar when Ahsoka talked to him after she showed up in "Fire across the Galaxy". It reminded me immediately on Exar's scar. I will have to check out how he got it.

Another thing I don't understand is the fact that in "The Lords of the Sith" it is stated that after Freedon Nadd's blackmailing of leaving Exar dying at Korriban he embraced the Dark Side and it is written that Exar is unable now to use the Light Side of the Force. So he doesn't have any Jedi-Powers anymore because the access to the force is different by Jedi and Sith. When the same is the case when Ulic Qel-Droma became a Darksider how did it come that Nomi Sunrider cut him off his Jedi-Forces? Or can she cut off anyone from his Sith- or Jedi-Powers? That cutting off was completely unnecessary because Ulic had already been redeemed after he did remorse the killing of his own brother. But what do I want? Ulic was cut off the Force and Revan off his memory. Seems Ex-Sith are to dangerous to be trusted anymore by their fellow Jedi if not being pruned in some way.

Anyway that cutting off the force was far to unrealistic even for Star-Wars IMHO. Then Obi-Wan could have cut off Vader from the Force while visiting him on the Death Star in order to punish him for his hideous massacre in the Jedi-Temple. He could have done that before becoming an immortal Force Ghost . Why not while Vader needs only his blade to decapitate his old Jedi-Master? What an absurd turning of the SW-OT that would give. [face_laugh]

8. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    Ulic had not yet been redeemed. He was remorseful but redemption is something that requires action especially after what he had done. He is not remdeemed till the incident with Vima and Slyvar in the later Comic called redemption.

Nomi can cut anyone off from the force, either side. It is a very rare ability and very hard for her to do, in fact we only have her doing it to Ulic as an example. It also may not have been completely permanent as he Force ghosts at death. His spirit even appeared to Anakin in the original clone wars game that came out after episode 2.

Iron_lord and Sudooku like this.
  9. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Yeah, I think thats one element clearly gone from SW canon thus far, Vos did not lose his connection to the Force, lightside and there was no such punishment - and he went full darkside red eyes and murder and all. Sidious could not cut off Maul's connection to the darkside either, his main advantage was cause he still had control over Maul as a Sith Master over an apprentice, and Maul was half machine - in Fry's book(I think based on early scripts or even cut material) Maul's mechanical legs were shortening and giving out and Sidious kept smashing his back against the stone deliberately to weaken him - in fact it reminded of Sauron smashing Gandalf at the ruined castle against the floor and wall in the "Desolation of Smaug". In SOD Maul has more control and Sidious lost whatever dominion he had over Maul as the battle is quite different.

Vader being mostly machine and disgraced since ROTS has been motivating Sidious to find a new apprentice in the Marvel comics - but with the Sith, its survival of the strongest and if Maul and Vader are surviving it proves they are the strongest and that is something the Sith Master has to acknowledge and apparently Sidious does but its also apparent whenever an apprentice starts to wane , becomes damaged or dies, he goes searching for another replacement. He became disappointed in Vader for his failure on Mustafar and so he had Cylo start his program 20 years back from ANH/Marvel so Sidious had immediately began looking for a stronger apprentice much to Vader's chagrin but its the way of the Sith Master as Sidious made clear. But at the same time Maul and Vader delight Sidious, in their strength, survival, retaliation their will to go against him against him - all reminds me of TFU on how Sidious looked upon Vader and all the plotting and rivalry, and reminds me of the Clone Emperor in Dark Empire where he new Luke was going against him and it was further fueling his desire for Luke to be his apprentice but like Vader, was little more than obedient watchdog until he had yet another apprentice. Reminds me of SOD's warning to Dooku and Maul's realization of what Sidious truly is, a great deceiver who relies on apprentices to give him power.

But it was made clear by Palpatine to Anakin that Sidous in ROTS had knowledge of both sides of the Force. Yoda seemed to have some knowledge of the darkside as he was so far the only Jedi capable of absorbing Sith Lightning - and it does not look like something he shared with the entire order and no Sith has so far demonstrated this either Sidious had his own Lightning turned back on him ROTS and to where it injured him. The Mortis family however show the greatest ability to wield the Force like no other, whether their entirely unique is unknown.

10. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    I would love to see on screen that scene at Ossus where Master Odan Urr is teaching Nomi Sunrider the secret of separating someone from the power of the force, showing her the Sith-Holocron while Vima is next to her and Exar Kun is standing ante portas (do you say that in English too?) watching the three from very close. That looks like extreme tension in "The Sith-War". But as far as I know there is never a direct encounter between Nomi and Exar.

11. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Sunrider and Bastila Shan surely had some similarities, I would imagine intentional, but don't think Sunrider faced Kun in combat. Ulic in that sense was more like Revan.

12. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Well, Bastila was originally meant to be Vima Sunrider . . . hence all the queen bee of battle meditation stuff. Originally it was a "like mother like daughter" situation.

Alas, that idea was scrapped, and so poor Vima with all that swirling Force of destiny around her never managed to accomplish much of anything next to the likes of Revan and the Exile. (The latter could have quite easily been retconned into Vima, herself. Oh well)

I guess sometimes swirling Force is just swirling Force.

AusStig likes this.
  13. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    Luda Kressh's tomb in KOTOR 2 is epic. Wish there was a book about him.

Chromide, Sudooku and darklordoftech like this.
  14. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Like I said in another thread, KJA's concept of an evil Sith Ghost was actually really good and (at the time) new. Where he fell down was in the Execution of the idea which was typical KJA awfulness.

Back from page 1 regarding Segal, a quick poll question

Steven Segal V Chuck Norris death match who would win ?

darklordoftech likes this.
  15. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    I liked the Aleema Keto in "Lords of the Sith" more than in "The Sith-War". In Lords of the Sith Aleema was dark and devilish. In "The Sith-War she was lighter and with blue eyes that I thought she was Krynda Hulis from "Vindication".
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    left: Aleema Keto in "Lords of the Sith" right: Aleema in "The Sith-War".
    I like Aleema more in "Lords of the Sith".

And I had difficulties to distinguish between Onderonian King Oron Kira and Exar Kun at the first glance.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

And here the picture of the scene I would like to see in an Exar Kun-movie so much:
    [​IMG]

Darth Dreadwar likes this.
  16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Isn't that quite a common problem in SW comics? I think the same happened to Bink in the later Tag & Bink comics.

Jedi Knight Fett and Sudooku like this.
  17. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    I found it quite moving that in Kun's last appearance in the flesh on Yavin IV, Exar unravelled his hair before he met his undoing, despite of becoming a ponytailed specter.

Do you think, that ultimate hair-unleashing had some deeper meaning?

18. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
  19. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    When I saw Ezra's scars on the cheek at the end of Rebels s. 1 I thought of Exar Kun immediately but didn't care much.

Now I saw a video forecast for Rebels s. 4 by Dash Star.

When we consider that after abandoning the rebel's base at Atollon, the drive of "Rebels" will head to Yavin IV, where Exar's temple is, then Ezra's scars will make even more a "writing on the wall"-sense. Do you also think that Exar Kun may star the s. 4 of that cartoon-series?

20. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The Maul and Ezra episodes definitely brought Freedon Nadd and Exar Kun to mind, partly because of thr scars.

21. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    This guy should return someday in the new continuity.

Of course with changes such as he stays dead when killed and no living in spirit form. Meaning that instead of being influenced by a Sith Ghost to the darkside it could be from a holocron. If Exar Kun has any presence in modern star wars it can appear in a holocron he made. Harassing future generations as a ghost doesn't fit with the vision of star wars being given.

His blue double bladed lightsaber is quite iconic for him, and while Disney has recantly beeing promoting how Sith have a technique to "bleed" crystals creating a red coloring, Exar Kun shouldn't do that. He should still wield his old blue saber. He could use a blue crystal from a dead jedi to create a double blade saber of the same color.

22. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I'd love to see an actual Exar Kun novel adaptation of TOTJ. It would be very useful for getting inside the heads of the major characters-Kun, Qel Droma, Nomi, The Krath, etc...

kalzeth and darklordoftech like this.
  23. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    They'll never do it. I don't think Disney has any plans to do pre-Phantom Menace for quite some time.

24. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    They'll release Disney version of the OT first.
    I'm calling it. They will edit so that The Rebels Characters are in the OT. Ezra and co will be added into the background of Echo base.

25. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    A possibly inclusion of Exar Kun in Rebels could work as a test about if and how fans would appreciate to see an Old Republic character like this on screen. If the viewers would want to see such even for longer.

And given the fact that Disney had increased the Star Wars films output remarkably, it is reasonable for them to explore other time windows too like the Old Republic. Exar Kun showing up on screen could also pave the way for other SW-Media. Marvel could win too. I can't remember when I saw a TOR-comic in my local comic-store last time.

But why, SWF91, should Exar change his lightsaber crystal anyway when the color remains the same unless his original crystal is damaged?

So let's see if the dashed prediction will materialize in S. 4 of Rebels.