main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars about Exar Kun

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DARTH_MARSHALL, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I honestly would rather they leave these pieces of Legends lore to rest. If Disney ever wants to do the old republic era they should make it a clean slate.

kalzeth and V-2 like this.
  2. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    Aaaand isn't the rebel group led by General Jan Dodonna called "The Massassi Group"? (Attack on the rebel base in the final arc of Rebels, s. 3) Just another coincidental detail or leading directly towards Exar Kun's presence on Yavin IV?

3. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    They recanonized Thrawn, so the door's open to Disney recanonizing whoever they want.

I honestly prefer if they recanonized Kyle Katarn though. Last surviving member of the New Jedi Order who escaped Kylo's purge, they can start a new series of games for him.

4. jedisor

jedisor Jedi Master star 2

Apr 22, 2011
    The name "Massassi" has been around since Lucas's early drafts, so the mention in Rebels isn't necessarily connected to their Legends history.

darklordoftech likes this.
  5. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    As much as I understand your preference, I suppose Ezra to become the young hero in distress to be possessed by Exar's spirit. Whey Disney can hand over lil Ben from Luke and Mara to Han and Leia they also might hand over another young fresh body to Exar... if they ever go down that path again. For restoring his former self, I would prefer Kun to drain some energy from a group of people instead, no body-hopping.

6. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    QFT.

Rogue_Follower likes this.
  7. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    Uhm ...Ulicus,

more to say, you have?

When I cross a thread whose subject I don't like, I just pass to another thread of my preference.

Star Wars is not just about adhering strictly to a certain legacy or even lore. Star Wars is certainly not about brushing away aany ideas and assumptions diverting from the mainstream. Star Wars is about innovation, to cover things up which seemed to be lost in oblivion too.

I'm quite optimistic that there will be ways to make you talk differently. At least when S. 4 of Rebels will reach it's peak and in the TV-Rebel section on this board Exar Kun will have his own thread.

8. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    It's not the subject -- who doesn't love Star Wars about Exar Kun!? -- but it was, and remains, stupefying ("...") that a thread from 2005 with a smattering of responses was unlocked and bumped in 2015.

. . .

u wot m8

9. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    So far, what we canonically know about the Massassi is this:
    They were enslaved by the Sith and built temples for them on Yavin 4 (Ultimate Star Wars) about 5,000 years before Episode IV. (Journey Through Space) They had some kind of connection with the ancient Jedi heresy known as the Ordu Aspectu. (Doctor Aphra #3) That's pretty much it.

10. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    BioWare should do a TOR expansion called Massassi Effect.

11. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    TotJ Exar Kun is my favorite Legend antagonist because although in the Jedi Academy trilogy he was ancient force ghost, in TotJ he subverted the overused "old/ancient evil coming to haunt us" in the SW universe. Instead he was a very young and extremely ambitious individual, not some supernatural monster like Vitiate. Ancient evil like Nadd was betrayed and killed by him because Kun didn't want to be his tool.

He was evil but like a real evil person, doing bad things for his ambition unlike some of the "galaxy devouring monster" villains. We can show he still had some emotion with his master as well, in the end he disregarded it.

In the later story he wasn't overshadowed by anyone else as well, but acted as the leader of the villains. He never loses a duel(other than that plant Jedi master). The ending was pretty cool as well. He didn't get defeated by a single Jedi or a group of them, but thousands of them.

The only problem I've got was his betrayal against Crado, Crado was pretty loyal to him, killing the guy was a bit pointless. Also too bad he didn't have a showdown with Nomi Sunrider.

Nom von Anor and Sudooku like this.
  12. Captain RX

Captain RX Jedi Master star 2

Jul 30, 2014
    I feel like a movie trilogy about ancient Jedi/Sith would be too boring for audiences. That works better in games comics and novels.

13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    ... o_O

I feel your opinion is wrong.

14. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Exar's powers were of a very esoteric sort. More on the level of Mother Talzin's occult magicks than Darth Sidious's raw Dark Side powers.

• Exiling a spirit from it's body
    • Unleashing Dark Side serpents (similar to the ones Zannah uses against Bane in their fateful duel)
    • Conjuring illusions at will, as Darth Wyyrlok was adept at doing
    • Creating sithspawn monstrosities and commanding them to do his bidding
    He was also skilled with a lightsaber, but most of Exar's powers weren't good for pure physical combat and battle. He was more of a Sith Sorcerer than a fighter, something that all of Bane's Sith were. Oddly enough, that's another trait he shared with Talzin. Physical combat wasn't her forte either, as the duel on Dathomir proved.

15. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    Vialco,

Actually Exar Kun was referred to by his Jedi-Master Vodo Siosk Baask to be his best and most brilliant Padawan. And for Exar Kun was not skilled yet in Sith sourcery, when leaving for Onderon, I would say that Exar was an outstanding duelist in lightsaber-combat as well. His overwhelming abilities in Sith-sorcery acquired later under Nadd's tutelage only did overshadow his other skills. In the end, being the supreme lord of his nascent empire, he let fight others for him so that he didn't have to prove his battle-skills that much like some other lone warrior-Sith we know later of.

I have also a problem with the betrayal against Crado. Crado was portrayed as an eager and ardent follower of Exar Kun. He was the Cathar's role model to be followed in every way. That Exar was annoyed by this imitation like some sophomore-pupils are when some guys in their class are imitating them, is understandable but not the sending into death like Exar did with Crado. That was totally nonsense. Also treasurous Sidious did not betray Sate Pestage or Sly Moore later. Every Leader, good or bad, needs staunch followers. I suppose the writers did add this to enhance Exar's evil character. For until then Exar was more like an explorer and conquerer to get everything he could from the galaxy - not so much material wealth but knowledge and skills. For he was such a young good-looking upstart, the writers might have been concerned that Exar would get too much sympathy for being a villain.

16. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Yeah, other than that he didn't betray his own buddies, Aleema has betrayed them first.

You can see there was some emotion flowing when Exar Kun was fighting his master as well, just chose the dark way in the end.

Sudooku likes this.
  17. ForcePushUp

ForcePushUp Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 19, 2016
    I love the idea of Kun. This ancient fallen Jedi is almost a Satan like figure to the modern crew of new Jedi being trained by Luke. Its a neat idea.

Unfortunately that neat idea was introduced in the gigantic mess that was The Jedi Academy Trilogy. There are about 45 ideas is that trilogy that could have worked as its own story, but all smushed together, its just a trainwreck.

Sudooku and kalzeth like this.