main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Star Wars actors in retrospect and their feelings on their work

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Seagoat, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I came up with this thread idea a short while ago, but I decided to post it now. I'm weird

This applies mostly to the PT, as many OT actors are now either reprising their roles in the ST or are deceased, but it still applies in some cases

Now that their work is done and they likely will not come back for more (as we know currently), what have some of the actors said about their feelings after the fact?

I know Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor, Samuel L. Jackson, and Frank Oz have publicly stated they enjoyed it and would indeed come back if they were for whatever reason invited. However, some other actors, such as Terence Stamp and David Prowse have looked back rather negatively, and Denis Lawson seems pretty apathetic about the ordeal. I believe back in the day, Natalie Portman had some positive things to say, but since ROTS I don't think she's said a single thing about it

I'm quite curious as to what information could be gathered. Sources are appreciated. Go wild

2. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I have a feeling that Hayden is still very proud and thankful that he got to be a part of it. He always seemed enthusiastic!

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The only thing Natalie Portman really said in recent years was how difficult it was to get other work, because casting agents and Hollywood execs looked down on her due to being in the films, and ignoring her other body of work. It took Mike Nichols going to bat for her which lead her to where she is now.

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity...eople-think-i-was-a-horrible-actress-20141912

She doesn't say that she regrets doing the films, but noted that it did lead to some issues.

4. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Liam didn't like his part at first but he's changed his tune in recents years. He was really excited for TPM 3D release and expressed interest in coming back.

5. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Even some that have died have expressed feelings on being involved in SW some weren't too keen on it like Sir Alec and Dave but I think media and the fandom have made it much more of a 'thing' than it was. Then there's a few like Peter that didn't seem to understand the space fantasy bits but thought it was wonderful for the young and did express pleasure at doing it and wanting to come back.

6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

He didn't say he disliked the character. He just wasn't a fan of the whole process of working with something not there, which he did in 1997 and then again in 1998 for "The Haunting". Doing two effects heavy films that involved CG imagery would be daunting to someone who hadn't really done that before.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  7. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Also he felt his character was dull or something.

8. GuardianSoulBlade

GuardianSoulBlade Jedi Knight star 3

May 26, 2015
    Natalie Portman has also said she's sad Padme's dead because she can't be in the Sequel Trilogy.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  9. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Really now? Do you have a source for this statement? I was under the impression she was done with SW

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk

10. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    A lot of what the actors say can be taken with something of a grain of salt. Often it depends on the state of their careers at the time at which they say it. Who do / don't they want to upset? Which bridges do / don't they think they want to burn?

True Sith likes this.
  11. GuardianSoulBlade

May 26, 2015
    I'm not sure if i can find the article anymore 'cause it's buried under those "Star Wars Nearly Ruined Natalie Portman's Career" articles, I'm pretty sure she's too busy with her own life to think about Star Wars, since she's got her family and her career I'm pretty sure it's the last thing on her mind, I can at least hope that she doesn't have PT haters harassing her about "ruined childhoods" like poor Jake Lloyd had to deal with.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and mes520 like this.
  12. Thiazzi

Thiazzi Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 27, 2015
    I heard that Hayden hated himself for a while after RLM videos came out. He took it pretty hard.

13. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    I thought Prowse was pretty much eager for any involvement, but he sorta ran afoul of TPTB because of his loose lips and the company pretty much distanced themselves from him.

14. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Liam Neeson complained that his beard was blown as far as Algeria in a sandstorm during production on Episode I and sold on the black market, eventually winding up in North Korea. North Korea has denied all knowledge. Liam Neeson doesn't want to start a nuclear war, but he is thinking of going all "Taken" on their tooshes.

After seeing that both a cartoon platypus thing and a flying blue walrus thing had four times as much dialogue as he did in Episode I, Ewan McGregor turned to meth and began playing every Nintendo game ever released in his basement. He couldn't be enticed back for Episode II. Adding considerable subtext to the film, a sophisticated clone was created. In order to save money, parts of Liam Neeson's blown-away beard were retrieved from the back of a yak in Mongolia and stitched to his face after it was discovered his doppelganger could only grow hair out of his nostrils.

Ahmed Best played a string of Marvel characters using a combination of extremely sophisticated facial surgery and advanced mo-cap. No-one noticed. He then attempted to scale Everest in his Jar Jar costume, but the costume tore when he was almost at the summit and he fell to his death. Rumours are that he actually survived and now works in an ice cream parlour in New York.

Natalie Portman developed a reaction to the Queen Amidala make-up and her face exploded. She went to Ahmed Best's surgeon who simulated Luke being attacked by the Wampa in TESB and magically restored her face, promising her that her career would bloom from that point on. In recent years, Natalie has begun writing her memoir on what it was like to act three weeks pregnant in a space movie and emote with CG eyebrows. She had a fling with Ewan at the end of the prequels, but that ended after he kept trying to stick cinnamon rolls on her head at the kitchen table every morning.

Hayden Christensen is the actor who least regrets his association with Star Wars. He stole a bunch of lightsaber props and used them to decorate his bedroom ceiling. When he was gifted with more of them, he realized he had enough to attempt to construct a land bridge between Alaska and Asia. He is currently filming a documentary of his various exploits in Siberia.

Samuel L. Jackson is happy to have been a part of the prequels, but he took to the alarming habit of occupying third-floor hotel rooms and jumping off the balcony, waving a bamboo stick around and setting his bathrobe on fire, and ripping his bathrobe off and casting it to the ground as he landed. He would then continue to wave the bamboo stick around and terrorize local occupants. Eventually, he was tranquilized and briefly interred in a mental hospital. Upon emerging back in the real world, he began preparing to play the lead role in a new Quentin Tarantino movie as a one-legged, legally-blind, obscenity-shouting, punk-styled transvestite. The picture has not yet gone into production.

The only definitive quote from anyone I could track down comes from Jimmy Smits: "I'll never work with a green frog again." I was unable to confirm a second quote floating around where Smits complains that he wanted to wear pink boots in the scenes of Bail strolling down the Tantive.

All in all, these are a bit of a fickle, ungrateful, taciturn bunch. Not sure why anyone ever hires 'em.

15. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Go home Cryo you're drunk
    <3

16. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    When it comes to possibly returning, Temuera Morrison said he doesn't like repeating himself.

17. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    That is fairly common for performers. Peter didn't either.

18. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Odd, considering he reprised his role as Jango/clones in at least four video games

19. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I heard somewhere on the internet that, after TPM, Ewan McGregor turned to meth and playing Nintendo in his basement. Not sure if it's true or not, though.

TX-20 and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I am in ****ing tears. [face_rofl]

Seagoat and Cryogenic like this.
  21. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

And I'm still drunk. :p

Naw. J/K. Never was, actually. Scarier still, huh?

Glad you like it, AF! :)

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  22. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Regarding the original post: I was told otherwise about Ewan McGregor but I'll gladly just go by what you say.

Anyone know what James Earl Jones thought of the prequels?

23. JackP

JackP Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 11, 2015
    I found it recently, but it was cited in a "George Lucas sucks as a director" rather than one relating to Natalie Portman.

I would imagine now she's getting work, she's not resentful or anything towards Star Wars. She wouldn't wear a tshirt like this if she wanted it to be part of her past:
    [​IMG]

Seagoat likes this.
  24. GuardianSoulBlade

May 26, 2015
    ^ The Anonymous Tumblr poster is so LOL worthy, how can you forget about Natalie Portman being in them? I suppose people forgot she was in them, becausee she's one of the least complained about when it comes to the PT.

25. Jangounchained1990

Jangounchained1990 Jedi Knight star 2

May 31, 2015
    Excuse my ignorance but who did this Dave play?