LA, CA Star Wars Adidas collection

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Sol_Jedi, Jan 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sol_Jedi LA Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
  2. Varekeii Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Oh, I saw these someplace else on line. I think Homing Beacon or something. At first I didn't get it, because the pictures didn't show up that well. Then I took a second, closer look.
  3. SoccerRyot Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Wow. Some of those are really cool (some not as much, but that's just personal taste). I am tempted by the Millenium Falcon shoe and the Princess Leia shoe (though you'll have to google the Princess Leia Adidas shoe because the Adidas site picture does not come up).
  4. Bowen Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I have to admit I really like the Vader shoes, lol. It's not that they are Star Wars, it's just the general design is exactly what I have been trying to find in a shoe since my black Nikes are falling apart. I tried finding new ones over x-mas break but couldn't find anything I liked...

Then again, I still would like to meet girls in the future, eventually, and I'm not sure how much of a dork I should be ;) It's bad enough that when you get back to my condo it's loaded with Star Wars everything! LOL
  5. Varekeii Jedi Youngling

star 2
    We've had this discussion on this board before. Things are very different than the last century. You guys just can't believe how many young, pretty female Star Wars fans there are out there. Star Wars sneakers are only going to be a detriment if your 'type' is shallow, mundane females. Remembering it's not all about you but neither are you a doormat is far more advantageous in meeting worthwile young women than whether or not you have a Star Wars collection at home.

6. Bowen Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Haha, ehh not so much in my experience! Girls give you a tough time over everything, from stupid little stuff like they don't like your pants, you should wear a different color, blah blah, your hair is ok but you should mess it up more, I like messy hair, to you like Star Wars? That's dorky, do you watch Clone Wars? That's a cartoon for little kids! You can't really enjoy your hobbies with most girls, honestly, because they make it a big deal to complain about everything you like. At the same time, they're watching Grey's Anatomy and The Hills, the most mindless nonsense around, and dressing in impractical clothing that sorta makes you go hmm... Very hypocritical society!

I have not met any hot girls who were big Star Wars fans really so far, aside from Sarah Wilkinson, Star Wars artist, but she's paid to do that ;) Most girls I know don't really know anything about Star Wars. The few I know who are Star Wars fans or are into the films are the dorky not-so-good-looking girls that make fine friends but I wouldn't date, lol.
  7. Lowbacca_1977 Jedi Master

star 6
    Bowen, you may want to invest some time in meeting quality women, then. Cuz, you seem to be doing it wrong.
  8. Bowen Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    LOL, well wise one, what's the secret? Because I haven't met many quality women in my life so I'd love to know what you think is the best way to do that ;)

Most girls I know, if they find out you love Star Wars, sure, if they're not totally shallow and stupid, they will "tolerate" it, but they're not into it. To them it's just something they tease you about, "You big dork!" Even if it's playful, it's something you just gotta laugh off pretty much and go ya whatever. Especially when about 100% of guys like Star Wars, so it's kind of silly for a girl to say a guy is a dork for liking Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, or something that every single guy loves. haha
  9. Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus

star 8
    If you'll excuse the cheesy pun, I think you're looking in Alderaan places, dude. ;)
  10. Lowbacca_1977 Jedi Master

star 6
    Miana, that was an a-Byss-mal joke.

Well, then you should definitely reassess how it is you're meeting people. I'd say most women I know are Star Wars fans on some level (ranging from, liking the movies a lot to owning a slave leia costume), and probably a third of them I know directly through Star Wars, one way or another. There's some fairly high trends of them being into a lot of sci-fi, Lord of the Rings, all sorts of stuff like that. Heck, it's a few female friends that twisted my arm into the few weeks I played DnD. Course, I'd also describe almost all of them as smart as well, which is a segment you seem to be missing out on, what with the mindless nonsense you mentioned.
  11. Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus

star 8
    That and anyone who actually enjoys The Hills isn't good company. [face_laugh]
  12. Bowen Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    No kidding Miana, LOL. And if you ask me your joke was great! Star Wars corny humor, ha, can't beat that.

Yeah well I'm not easy to please, I have to find the girl very attractive but I'm not shallow, i.e. very attractive girls who are stupid do nothing for me at all. Sure, may be fun to go on a few dates with, but I get fed up with that too quickly. I like to have someone I can talk to about all kinds of things whether it's totally random, or philosophical, or political, or whatever. It doesn't all have to be serious it can be just fun silly stuff too but it's too difficult to date a girl or connect with a girl, obviously, if she doesn't have something to offer intellectually.

I can't say I really know any girls through Star Wars, one I can think of I guess on Facebook, old member of Oregon Fan Force. I will say when I've been to Star Wars Celebrations, there were a surprising number of attractive girls, but I couldn't tell if those were the tolerant / cool girlfriends or actually fans themselves, haha. I know my mom was just the mom of a fan, not really an actual fan in the sense that she wouldn't have been into it without me.

I don't date the nerdy smart girls, though, lol, I mean I do have to find her attractive. It's very difficult to find a girl who is good looking and cares about her appearance but also makes time to be more intellectual too. I know a few! But they have boyfriends, haha.
  13. Lowbacca_1977 Jedi Master

star 6
    I don't think its that difficult at all. I know a lot of very attractive AND smart women. I get the impression you're looking in the wrong places.

One of my friends has suggested that that attitude itself could well be putting off the smarter girls as well, though. I mean, its worth noting when you want to take a stance of "oh, women can't be good looking, star wars fans, and intellectual all at the same time" that the women that do fit those categories are going to avoid someone who has that view of women, as they also tend to be smart enough to know that they're in strong enough demand to not need to put up with those views to get a guy.
  14. Bowen Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Uhh, no. It doesn't work that way. If you say that a certain type of girl is RARE, it means you appreciate a girl who has those characteristics, not that somehow you have a bad attitude about her.

I don't care if a girl likes Star Wars to date her, though, honestly there are a lot more important criteria. I would hope that any worthwhile girl would at least learn to respect what a guy enjoys and what makes him happy, even if she doesn't personally take interest in it. I've never asked a girl to like the same things I do, just understand that I have my hobbies that I really enjoy and respect that I will spend some time and money on those things, whether it's Star Wars, the Yankees, poker, whatever.

I think it's a question of standards, personally. I'm not exactly that green anymore, I'm 27, I've met hundreds of girls and haven't really found any I've been too impressed with overall. As friends, perhaps, you know, casually speaking -- sure. But not any I was too interested in. They aren't "everywhere," and no there aren't great girls everywhere. I would say the vast majority of girls I really have very little in common with and no interest in dating, but that's why it makes the few girls who are appealing that much more special. I can tell that most people share your attitude, though, when people get married at like 24 years old. That just shows me people aren't too picky, apparently. I could go 100 years and potentially not meet one girl I'd want to spend more than a year with, and someone else could pretty much settle for the first half-way decent girl that comes along. I have a theory that it comes down to how happy you are with the rest of your life and how much emphasis you put on relationships. As I'm very happy with the rest of my life and my goals, friends, hobbies, etc., I don't really feel much pressure to jump into any relationship, and as I value relationships pretty low on the totem pole of life and have no desire to get married or have kids, I can afford to be pickier. If there was some sort of clock running where I better "settle down" and get married by the time I'm 33, perhaps I'd lower my standards, and then I'd be sadly stuck in the same situation as most of America -- in a miserable relationship and unhappy, lol.

It should be noted that by definition, whatever type of girl I'm into is not offended or bothered by my opinions, because if she were, she would not be my type of girl whatsoever. If anything, it's better to be honest upfront and express yourself fully, because then you don't waste too much time with someone you have to put on an act just to impress. That's not a good idea.
  15. Lowbacca_1977 Jedi Master

star 6
    You've totally changed the discussion, though. This isn't "what are the dating standards", but your claims about:

And I'm saying that your of view of women there seems to indicate you're failing at getting into good social circles in this regard. Because I know a lot of attractive girls that are also smart, and a good portion are also nerdy. I spent a chunk of CIV helping a friend of mine that flew in just for the convention by herself try to get her slave Leia costume ready to go. With one exception, every woman I met during CIV was there because she wanted to be, not because she was just going along with it. (Exception is one person I know that had his wife come, but I don't know her enough to know if she was just coming along or also into Star Wars)

I'm not saying "go after the first one with a pulse", I'm just saying that there's a lot of intelligent and attractive women out there that have an appreciation for the nerdier things in life, and so you saying that women are primarily into mindless entertainment and intolerant of Star Wars means that either 1. your views are not at all representative of reality or 2. my reality is apparently far more awesome than yours.
  16. Bowen Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    That's exactly why I said I had no idea whether the girls I saw at CIV were there for themselves or for boyfriends, I made no claims either way, lol. I didn't talk to many random people so really wouldn't have the ability to make an informed guess, so I'll just assume what you're saying is probably true.

I have a lot of things I look for besides simple stuff, though, like I said I'm tough to please. I will not date religious girls, I gave that a go the last time and I was right that it just doesn't work out. Atheists only for me, and that's pretty rare for girls, but I cannot tolerate religious people on any sort of deeper level than just dealing with them work-wise, that's fine. I just don't have the patience or tolerance to date someone like that, too different life values and goals. That already narrows it down quite a lot, fortunately not so much in Los Angeles as some other cities. Then there are just all kinds of little things that you learn you really can't tolerate, you give it a go, that's what dating is about, and then you realize, you know what, I can't date someone who is into that or who acts this way. It's great you have met so many awesome people, heck, I'd like that experience. I would definitely venture to say that my experiences have been on the far low end, and must not be totally representative of a wider reality, because my guy friends certainly say that. I mean, my guy friends say I have the worst luck with girls of anyone they know -- not exactly comforting. I'm sure it's funny for them, but it becomes less and less funny for me.

Then again, how do you really know? Perhaps I'm just pickier than they are, so my experiences seem worse by comparison. But I don't really think that's entirely true, I mean there may be an element of that as well but definitely I've not exactly met many girls who would be right for me for any duration of time. Clearly, it can be a tough situation, because if you've had awful experiences in the past, it's actually pretty rude and inconsiderate for people to say, "Well you're just too cynical about it now, you need to be open minded, blah blah." That's like telling someone who has had 5 Toyotas break down on them that Toyota is a great brand. They're not going to buy it, even if it's statistically true, because they have had awful luck. My experiences have been terrible, and every time I've gotten over the last few bad experiences and tried again with an open mind, figuring well, this time will be different, I hope, it never is. Sort of like being a Cubs fan -- after enough years of losing, I'm sure Cubs fans aren't too optimistic about any given year. It's sort of like, "Well, one can hope, but probably not going to happen." Whereas as a Yankees fan, I expect to win, and I'm ticked when we lose because I go into every single season expecting we should be able to win it all.

So forgive some of my cynicism but if you have enough bad experiences, especially for someone like me who is really quite happy with the rest of my life and enjoy my alone time a lot, then you tend not to be too excited or optimistic about dating in general. I think the best thing you can do is what I do, which is always maintain my health and good looks, focus on myself and my career goals, and be happy, live my life, and if I happen to meet people along the way that's fantastic. If not, that's ok too.
  17. Lowbacca_1977 Jedi Master

star 6
    You seem to fully miss my point, though. You made the claim not that you can't find a girl you want to date that's into Star Wars, but that women aren't into Star Wars in general, the ones that are aren't attractive, and that one can't find women that are smart and attractive.

And those are the points I'm questioning. Dating doesn't enter into it on those claims. Quite a few of my close friends are attractive and smart female Star Wars fans. Just because I'm not trying to date them doesn't make them any less attractive or smart. Similarly, I'm not pushing any attitude of "they're there, date them" as I've not dated for years, and I logistically won't be dating for the next few years here on out, after.

I'm just saying that I think it takes having blinders on to really think that there aren't women out there that like Star Wars and won't snub someone for it, or that are into Star Wars themselves, or that women can be attractive and a Star Wars fan, or that a woman can be both smart and attractive. None of that has a darn thing to do with dating.
  18. Bowen Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Blinders on? Well you know you can look up the stats, about 90% of Star Wars fans are male, that has been proven by numerous polls. That doesn't leave many women out there who are actually die-hard Star Wars fans in the first place.

And it's not blinders on, I've met thousands of girls in my life, very few expressed any interest in Star Wars. Among my girl friends or people I know on Facebook, etc., only one of those girls is a real Star Wars fan and she was from Oregon Fan Force. None of the hot girls I know, actresses, models, whatever, are Star Wars fans, or even like the films that much, some haven't even watched them at all. When I was in a religion class in high school, the teacher was a huge fan, and asked how many people hadn't seen Star Wars. Like 5 girls raised their hands, of course every guy had seen the films. That's life.

It's not blinders, it's reality. This is the larger reality of the real world -- your reality must be a very small niche-community of sci-fi fans or something, because out here in the real world, no, most girls don't like or appreciate Star Wars, whether they're good looking or not, but certainly not hot girls, haha.
  19. Lowbacca_1977 Jedi Master

star 6
    Well, I'd highlight that this started off with your making the claim of women as intolerant of Star Wars. It's moving the goal posts to say "die hard fan" is now what we're after. I suppose I do have a bit of a unique situation in that most of my friends are, as a starting point, educated and intellectual. So I do have a natural filter in my life in that sense. This would be the "my reality is apparently far more awesome than yours" possibility said in an earlier point.

And so you do seem to be reinforcing my initial comment about the ways you're meeting women, then, as you're making the case that its universal, as you're making the case of the one Star Wars fan you know that's female is a clear aberration, and you state that good looking girls certainly don't like or appreciate Star Wars (I will note you're making a fairly absolute statement here, and that you're not talking about 'die-hard fan' levels, just accepting or liking), whereas I can say, I can't actually think of any woman I know who has said they outright don't like Star Wars, full stop. (I'm ignoring prequels influence here, as that does lead to a fair bit of liking the OT, but negative views on the PT, even outside of people that call themselves fans from my experience). I also know of only one that actually has not seen Star Wars, though in fairness, this is because I was able to influence another into watching em for the first time about 2 years ago. But of same groups I know, most are familiar with Star Wars. Now, its a bit tricky as you're not indicating anything about percentages with your anecdote, as you're neglecting to explain what percentage of girls that was versus percentage of guys.
    I'd also say its reinforced in that while you apparently, as you've mentioned, don't know any attractive Star Wars fans, whereas I do know quite a few attractive females that are Star Wars fans, so it would seem that in that sense I am quite a bit more fortunate.

I'd highlight this, though... this is from a paper I found that was presented in 1997 (link here)
    In a list of top 25 films by gender, while Star Wars was a hands down winner for males, appearing on 58% of lists, and both Empire and Jedi appearing on 22% of lists, Star Wars still appeared on 24% of female top 25 lists. So I'm not sure how you can say that women are intolerant of Star Wars when there's indications that a non-trivial portion of females consider it to be a top 25 movie.

To quote a friend of mine on this, "if you can find girls plural at a school called the fashion institute you can find them anywhere". So if you're really in a situation where you find most women not just don't appreciate Star Wars, but outright will treat you negatively and not tolerate you for it, well, then you have my sympathy because that seems to be an indicator of a very unfortunate environment, that I'd compare to being surrounded by a large number of people that were unfamiliar with, or hostile to the Beatles, or being largely ignorant or opposed to any other large scale cultural phenomenon.
  20. MeleanaKenobi Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Hi I'm Lowbacca's friend that apparently doesn't exist in the real world. I am a girl, who people say they find attractive, I am a Yankees fan, an atheist, and a die hard star wars fan. I was an actress and singer and did some modeling, though it was not my focus, before I decided to go into Interior design. I now go to a school called the fashion institute of design and merchandising in LA, where I have many female friends who like star wars, and care about their appearances.
    I'm not sure what we will do now that we know we aren't in the real world... it will take some adjusting.
    I can also say objectively that Lowbacca knows a wide variety of attractive female star wars fans from all walks of life, as do I.
    Seriously did you miss the slave Leia photo shoot at C4?
  21. Bowen Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Ha! Too funny.

Well I live 2 blocks away from that school actually, I see FIDM girls all over the place.

I only hang out with intelligent, well educated people, so I'm not really sure what that reference was about. Almost half of my high school class is in graduate school, already finished with graduate school, etc. But my friends are guys, I don't have long-time girl friends, except basically one who is a model. She doesn't dislike Star Wars by any means, I mean I don't think she's a fan or something, but she's cool with it.

The fact is though, go ask most guys, they will show you the scene from The 40-Year-Old Virgin or all kinds of jokes on The Simpsons and every other show about nerdy Star Wars fans or whatever. Star Trek fans get more flak than we do, obviously, but girls do see it as nerdy and like to tease guys about it. That's just life, for the 99% of us who have met normal girls who aren't big into Star Wars ;) And yes, I agree it's more awesome to be in your situation where apparently in your world this is not the case. I have not met anyone else who would argue that point, so it's kind of funny to me. I am not really going to debate about it though because it's kind of silly, basically it'd be me arguing that girls I know aren't as cool as girls you know, which seems a funny thing to argue!

That's great you found that poll, but it doesn't really say much either way. When you're talking about maybe 10-15% of girls being very attractive, and another 24% who like the Star Wars films, there's no way to know what the overlap is there. I think we're both just talking from our personal experience and I will admit my personal experiences with girls have been quite negative, there is no way around that, whether it's proper to say or not, I have not enjoyed my interactions with girls by and large. I think a lot of people with my experiences wouldn't even bother anymore, frankly. So if your experiences have even been decent let alone good, of course we're bound to have different personal experiences of this. I can tell you my last girlfriend told me I should sell all of my Star Wars stuff or box it up because "no girl" would date a guy like me who has a Star Wars collection and enjoys it a lot. She claimed, despite the fact that I have many hobbies and mainly spend my time on work, that I am "obsessed" with Star Wars. I didn't even buy anything Star Wars related all of last year besides Clone Wars on DVD, I just went to Star Wars in Concert, that was it. But then again this is a girl who yelled at me over telling her I wasn't going to miss Yankees playoff games to hang out with her, lol, so I wouldn't exactly say she was understanding or reasonable.

That experience isn't particularly unusual, though, I've definitely known other girls like that just on a lesser scale as obviously most of the time I just casually know the girl, she's not actually a girlfriend, etc.

Nice to meet you though Meleana, lol, you sound like the perfect girl on paper! haha.
  22. Lowbacca_1977 Jedi Master

star 6
    The education comment was simply that a large portion of people I know are people I know through school and are getting degrees (most at this point going for Master's or PhDs in physics and chemistry), are people I've met at related conferences, or are from working at a public observatory, where the staff all is required to have a basic college-level science background.
    A very large portion of the people I hang out with are either finishing off college (the ones that are my age and younger) or have already gotten bachelor's degrees and many have additional higher degrees, and from working in public education, I've been able to note that most of my friends are, on the whole, more well-read and more well-informed than the general public. So that selection bias would play a role for me compared to general populace.

Though for me, the lack of female friends seems equally weird to me, but probably explains a lot of it. I'd say definitely of my few closest friends, most are female, and of my friends as a whole, it's probably around 50/50 genderwise. So it seems weird to me to have just a single female friend, and I'd suspect that plays a role in this.

I do disagree with the societal jokes on that, because stuff like camping out for Star Wars is thought of as a bunch of guys that've never talked to a woman, even though I know 3 now married couples that met that way, and in my experience, there's a greater percentage of women at Star Wars events that are there based on their own interests than at football games, or at least the college football games I go to, even though there aren't so many jokes about how big football fans must not be familiar with women because of how those are predominantly male crowds. And the 40-Year-Old Virgin attitude of nerds can't interact with women is why one of my friends turned down a consulting job he was offered on that movie, because he took offense to it.
  23. Sol_Jedi LA Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    C'mon guys, stay on topic, stay on topic...

If you want to start a SW/Geek relationship thread, be my guest, but we gotta stay on topic here.
  24. Bowen Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Hmm, well I think it's kind of on topic, at least I will say that I like these shoes and if it weren't for the issues being discussed I may buy a pair ;)

I would say of my guy friends most don't have any girl friends, just a girlfriend. I have never found that girls make good friends because we don't usually have many common interests. I've in the past had a number of girl friends, but down to the last one they were not good friends once they found a boyfriend and just basically ignored me. I tried! haha. I have many online girl friends who I talk to quite a bit, but not in person hang out with types. Even my one in-person friend, I see her probably once a year, seriously, different city and all of that, hard to see her much, plus she's busy even when I'm in town. Most girls I know seem to have a lot of guy friends, but most guys I know don't have a lot of girl friends. Huh, weird imbalance.

I think most of us probably have more educated friends than the general public. I am astonished how many people I know have went on to post-graduate education, honestly, it's totally out of proportion with the population. I think it's something like 16% of people have college degrees, going up, which seems odd to me as everyone I know has a college degree, and only 1% have graduate degrees, yet I know a bunch of people with those too or working on it. I think it's because I went to a private high school with a really high portion of affluent families, etc.
  25. Varekeii Jedi Youngling

star 2
    I know I speak for a great many women when I say: Star Wars Adidas are NOT unsexy.

Going on and on and on about how great you are and how awful/shallow/stupid/unworthy women are is definitely UNSEXY. As I said to another good Star Wars friend on a similiar subject, take the advice if you want or don't take it. It's no skin off my nose either way.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.