main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Lit Star Wars Adventures & SWA: Forces of Destiny comics (IDW)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2011
    Forces of Destiny - Rey preview.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

tatooinesandworm and lordpixie like this.
  2. Chris Werms

Chris Werms Jedi Youngling

Aug 2, 2017
    These previews seem to be getting longer and longer - get about half the comic from these alone, it feels like!

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 12, 2012
    The Star Wars Adventures issue with Leia and Luke had some fun stuff in it. As for the Porg story, I'm of the it's "in between" The Last Jedi, maybe at some point when Rey isn't hanging with Luke (we see she isn't around him all the time) and before they take off.

Rather annoyed there's a 60 page SWA Loot Crate comic, I just checked ebay and it's about 15 bucks, which is okay I guess but shipping to Canada is almost 20 more dollars(!). I would like to track it down, as someone said, apparently Loot Crate puts excess stuff on sale so maybe I'll check it out then. I just like Battle of Jakku / Rey stuff so I would really like to get it.

the Leia comic was a decent bit of business, the one page with Leia throwing a tiny rock at the Wampa and it picks up a boulder was kind of hilarious. I liked it more than the FoD youtube shorts, that's for sure.

4. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 17, 2015
    And the same thing happened again this week...No Leia or Rey for me yet :(

5. Chris Werms

Aug 2, 2017
    This issue was fun, but I am getting pretty tired of Forces of Destiny adaptations. I know I'm at fault for buying all of them, but the repetition is starting to kill me. This two-part story has already been shown in the animated shorts, in Forces of Destiny: Daring Adventures vol. 1, and in the Tales of Hope and Courage. That seems especially strange to me since the last two seem to be aimed at fairly similar demographics... Hopefully the next three are original stories.

Though, I will say that I loved the final page of this issue. I'm a sucker for spreads like that, so I enjoyed it a lot. I liked the art: IDW's more cartoony work suits the stories well without turning them into caricatures of themselves. They kind of evoke late DH Knights of the Old Republic....

6. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Ahsoka & Padmé cover.
    [​IMG]

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  7. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018 at 12:14 PM
  8. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    This feels a lot like the excellent comics from the German Star Wars magazine. And its an original story this time out as well.

9. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Rey and Ahsoka & Padmé seem to be the only stories retelling their respective animated shorts, all the others are original stories. And for those who don't like the shorts' art style maybe they'll like the comic version?

10. germanjedi

germanjedi Jedi Youngling

Nov 7, 2017
    Ahsoka and Padmé is not an adaptation... at least there are scenes featuring a certain member of the Jedi Order who ended up betraying Ahsoka in TCW and I haven't seen that in any animated episode...

11. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    So the plot isn't about the bounty hunter attacking Ahsoka and Padmé in The Imposter Inside? Unless they're adding scenes like they did for Rey?

12. germanjedi

germanjedi Jedi Youngling

Nov 7, 2017
    Not in the excerpt I've seen.

13. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Star Wars Adventures #6 preview.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Revanfan1, BigAl6ft6 and Jedi Jessy like this.
  14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    yah the Rey story being a FoD adaptation was a bit of a bummer but at least it's in my collection as something physical as opposed to being forevermore a youtube short so there's that. And I do actually like the story.

15. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Star Wars Adventures #7 variant cover.
    [​IMG]

Revanfan1 and lordpixie like this.
  16. rjrjr

rjrjr Jedi Master star 1

Aug 11, 2009
    Is there any concern for how quickly the Star Wars Adventures title sales have dropped off? Issue #5 had estimated sales of just 13,733 units according to Comichron. I suppose this is sustainable for IDW considering they have titles that sell 1/4 of this, but I am actually surprised that a Star Wars comic post Disney could sell so poorly.

If you are not buying this title, why not? Is it the art? Stories? Just tapped out after buying the Marvel titles?

17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    It has the "kids book" tag, probably a detriment but personally I think it works pretty well "for all ages", as it was sold. But, to the most comic buyers, "all ages" = kids book.

My favourite thing about the book is that it hops along the timeline, which is really a big selling point for me from an ongoing Star Wars comic.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018 at 3:46 PM
  18. Chris Werms

Aug 2, 2017
    I think that's right: it seems ostensibly aimed at younger audiences, whether or not it truly is. My local comic book store keeps it in the Kids' Comics section, so if you are heading to the main shelving, you wouldn't see it. I think that alone hampers sales - if you can find it in the first place, the target demo may dissuade most comic buyers. I follow Star Wars into any medium, so a kids' comic doesn't deter me, but Marvel Star Wars readers may not think this is suitable to them.

That, and maybe the tie-ins have become weaker? The first three issues had heavy ST tie-ins. I wonder if SWA #6 will have a boost with a Last Jedi character?

19. The Ganner

The Ganner Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 20, 2015
    Well if it's getting that low of sales, that must mean it'll be cancelled soon[face_party].

And basically I don't like Adventures because of HOW childish it is. I liked clone wars adventures by Dark Horse, because while it was goofy it told pretty interesting stories.
    This really doesn't. I made the mental check out when Finn talked about a 'cake' planet the entire issue, and I cancelled my subscription.