main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics A/V Star Wars Adventures & SWA: Forces of Destiny comics (IDW)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Forces of Destiny - Rey preview.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

tatooinesandworm and lordpixie like this.
  2. Chris Werms

Chris Werms Jedi Padawan

Aug 2, 2017
    These previews seem to be getting longer and longer - get about half the comic from these alone, it feels like!

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The Star Wars Adventures issue with Leia and Luke had some fun stuff in it. As for the Porg story, I'm of the it's "in between" The Last Jedi, maybe at some point when Rey isn't hanging with Luke (we see she isn't around him all the time) and before they take off.

Rather annoyed there's a 60 page SWA Loot Crate comic, I just checked ebay and it's about 15 bucks, which is okay I guess but shipping to Canada is almost 20 more dollars(!). I would like to track it down, as someone said, apparently Loot Crate puts excess stuff on sale so maybe I'll check it out then. I just like Battle of Jakku / Rey stuff so I would really like to get it.

the Leia comic was a decent bit of business, the one page with Leia throwing a tiny rock at the Wampa and it picks up a boulder was kind of hilarious. I liked it more than the FoD youtube shorts, that's for sure.

4. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    And the same thing happened again this week...No Leia or Rey for me yet :(

5. Chris Werms

Chris Werms Jedi Padawan

Aug 2, 2017
    This issue was fun, but I am getting pretty tired of Forces of Destiny adaptations. I know I'm at fault for buying all of them, but the repetition is starting to kill me. This two-part story has already been shown in the animated shorts, in Forces of Destiny: Daring Adventures vol. 1, and in the Tales of Hope and Courage. That seems especially strange to me since the last two seem to be aimed at fairly similar demographics... Hopefully the next three are original stories.

Though, I will say that I loved the final page of this issue. I'm a sucker for spreads like that, so I enjoyed it a lot. I liked the art: IDW's more cartoony work suits the stories well without turning them into caricatures of themselves. They kind of evoke late DH Knights of the Old Republic....

6. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Ahsoka & Padmé cover.
    [​IMG]

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  7. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  8. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    This feels a lot like the excellent comics from the German Star Wars magazine. And its an original story this time out as well.

9. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Rey and Ahsoka & Padmé seem to be the only stories retelling their respective animated shorts, all the others are original stories. And for those who don't like the shorts' art style maybe they'll like the comic version?

10. germanjedi

germanjedi Jedi Knight

Nov 7, 2017
    Ahsoka and Padmé is not an adaptation... at least there are scenes featuring a certain member of the Jedi Order who ended up betraying Ahsoka in TCW and I haven't seen that in any animated episode...

11. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    So the plot isn't about the bounty hunter attacking Ahsoka and Padmé in The Imposter Inside? Unless they're adding scenes like they did for Rey?

12. germanjedi

germanjedi Jedi Knight

Nov 7, 2017
    Not in the excerpt I've seen.

13. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Star Wars Adventures #6 preview.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Revanfan1, BigAl6ft6 and Jedi Jessy like this.
  14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    yah the Rey story being a FoD adaptation was a bit of a bummer but at least it's in my collection as something physical as opposed to being forevermore a youtube short so there's that. And I do actually like the story.

15. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Star Wars Adventures #7 variant cover.
    [​IMG]

Revanfan1 and lordpixie like this.
  16. rjrjr

rjrjr Jedi Master star 1

Aug 11, 2009
    Is there any concern for how quickly the Star Wars Adventures title sales have dropped off? Issue #5 had estimated sales of just 13,733 units according to Comichron. I suppose this is sustainable for IDW considering they have titles that sell 1/4 of this, but I am actually surprised that a Star Wars comic post Disney could sell so poorly.

If you are not buying this title, why not? Is it the art? Stories? Just tapped out after buying the Marvel titles?

17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    It has the "kids book" tag, probably a detriment but personally I think it works pretty well "for all ages", as it was sold. But, to the most comic buyers, "all ages" = kids book.

My favourite thing about the book is that it hops along the timeline, which is really a big selling point for me from an ongoing Star Wars comic.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  18. Chris Werms

Chris Werms Jedi Padawan

Aug 2, 2017
    I think that's right: it seems ostensibly aimed at younger audiences, whether or not it truly is. My local comic book store keeps it in the Kids' Comics section, so if you are heading to the main shelving, you wouldn't see it. I think that alone hampers sales - if you can find it in the first place, the target demo may dissuade most comic buyers. I follow Star Wars into any medium, so a kids' comic doesn't deter me, but Marvel Star Wars readers may not think this is suitable to them.

That, and maybe the tie-ins have become weaker? The first three issues had heavy ST tie-ins. I wonder if SWA #6 will have a boost with a Last Jedi character?

19. The Ganner

The Ganner Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 20, 2015
    Well if it's getting that low of sales, that must mean it'll be cancelled soon[face_party].

And basically I don't like Adventures because of HOW childish it is. I liked clone wars adventures by Dark Horse, because while it was goofy it told pretty interesting stories.
    This really doesn't. I made the mental check out when Finn talked about a 'cake' planet the entire issue, and I cancelled my subscription.

20. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    http://www.starwars.com/news/raising-a-rebellion-in-idws-star-wars-forces-of-destiny-hera
    StarWars.com: This really feels like the Hera we’ve come to know and love on Star Wars Rebels. Devin, you spot-on captured her voice in every panel! You’ve been writing Batman comics for 20 years and racked up many other credits as a comic writer for the Marvel universe. What’s it like to step into the shoes of a new character and explore the Star Wars universe as a whole?

Devin Grayson: Thank you! It was a delightfully surreal experience because, on the one hand, getting to write in the Star Wars universe felt like going all the way back to one of my very first experiences with a fictional landscape. The mythos is so deeply etched into my imagination; it’s a familiar and accessible place I’ve been playing in since childhood. But on the other hand, though I know I would have loved Hera as a little girl, I don’t think I would have understood her the way I feel I can at this stage in my life. She’s involved in this struggle for balance that feels so authentic to me, both in terms of juggling multiple roles — ace pilot, inspiring leader, resistance fighter, devoted mentor, den-mother, conflicted daughter — and also in terms of making peace with her own drive. Her intensity and focus are obviously huge assets, but at the same time, they’re elements that potentially threaten her capacity for intimacy and contentment in her personal life. To some degree or another, I feel like that describes every woman I know over the age of 30!

Shout out, too, to the amazing Vanessa Marshall. It was so helpful having her voice as a touchstone.

StarWars.com: And Eva, from the very first page you demonstrated a keen eye for illustrating Hera’s skill as a pilot and her concentrating-to-avoid-Imperials face. You previously illustrated a comic for the official Star Wars Rebels Magazine, so you had some experience aboard the Ghost when you came into this project. How did you try to make this comic your own?

Eva Widermann: Drawing comics for the Star Wars Rebels Magazine really opened another door for my professional career and I can’t stop thanking all the people involved that kept kicking my bum to go and give it a try after I was informed that Panini Germany was looking for another artist to join the Star Wars Rebels Magazine crew. Star Wars Rebels fascinated me from the beginning and I remember the first time I got to draw Hera for only one or two panels. I wished I could draw her more often… Well, my wish came true.

StarWars.com: I love all the new characters in this issue, especially Lemnos! What was your creative process when you sat down to collaborate on this comic? Did you come in with a list of things you definitely wanted to accomplish here (like, including Chopper)?

Devin Grayson: If I’m remembering correctly, my directive was simply: “a mission Hera goes on with Chopper on the Ghost in between episodes.” I don’t know that you can tell a story about Hera without including the Ghost, and I was super-psyched to get to play with Chopper, but it actually took great restraint not to include the rest of the crew — especially Kanan, because my writing has always been about relationships and there’s so much great stuff going on there! But I only had one issue, and one of the things I really wanted to show about Hera is how good she is at reading and inspiring people, and although at some level she’s continuously doing that with the entire team we know and love, I thought it might be more powerful to show her doing it with characters she was meeting for the first time. There’re kind of two types of leaders: the ones who define and spark the movement, and the ones who keep that fire burning by quietly helping people find their place in it. Hera’s arguably both, but I really wanted to show that second part in action.

In terms of Lemnos, he surprised even me. Originally I had him slotted for a less pivotal role, with the idea that Au B’ree was going to be the main focus of Hera’s efforts, but Hera was like, “Nope, she already knows what she’s doing, he’s the one who needs to come with me and test himself…” And, you know, there’s really no point in arguing with Hera, so I followed her orders.

I just also have to mention, in praise of Eva, that Zhou’s haircut was, like, really important. To him, of course, but also in terms of my conception of him. When I first saw Eva’s rendering of him, I was over the moon. There’s no better feeling than when someone you’re working with completely understands what you’re trying to communicate. Oh, and she put those pictures of his parents in his room of her own accord, and there honestly could not be a better prop to anchor his characterization. Perfection!

StarWars.com: I’m curious about how Eva’s sketches and stylistic choices influence the writing itself and vice versa. When you’re working together, which do you tackle first, the writing or the art?

Devin Grayson: I’ve always worked writing first, which means that Eva was working off of a full, completed script. But I know that the artists are the visual experts and so I try to temper my natural bossiness and leave them room to express themselves within the story.

Once she started working, we e-mailed back and forth to clarify a few things, but mostly I just got to sit back and watch her bring the pages to life. Our colorist, Monica Kubina, is hugely talented, as well, and our editor, Denton Tipton, was really committed to helping us get the issue exactly where we wanted it, so toward the end there was a lot of collaboration – e-mails going back and forth with like, two paragraphs gushing over one another’s work and then one sentence about a small tweak or edit. Because of the short timeframes we’re usually working in, comic-working relationships tend to develop toward the backend of projects, with people starting off not knowing one another and ending up as passionate collaborators.

StarWars.com: What does Star Wars mean to you on a personal level? And how has the Forces of Destiny series changed or amplified that?

Devin Grayson: The original Star Wars trilogy lit up my childhood and informed almost every let’s-pretend game I played between 1977 and 1980, but I have to admit that I fell off a bit during the prequels era. More recently, my husband and 10-year-old have been really into the movies and TV series, so I sort of started paying attention again over their shoulders. And even though I assume Star Wars Rebels was created to get or keep kids invested in the Star Wars universe, I have to admit that Hera and Kanan’s relationship was what got me completely hooked again. I practically shoved [my husband] and my step-son off the couch to get a closer look. Next thing you know, I’m buying movie tickets and reading licensed novels and doing what my husband calls “deep dive character research,” because almost every time I get attached to fictional beings that way, I end up writing them down the line. And sure enough…!

Eva Widermann: Just like Devin, I grew up with Star Wars surrounding my childhood. I’ve always been more of a high fantasy/medieval fan rather than sci-fi, but I remember watching the re-digitized trilogy in the late ‘90s and I thought, hey, Star Wars is kinda high fantasy… just in a galaxy far away. I also really enjoyed the following movies, and mostly for the visuals — I couldn’t stop looking at the costumes and designs and the concepts. Dressing a Galaxy is still one of my favorite art books! Of course, being married to a Star Wars fan and eventually working on the Rebels comics and digging deeper into the Star Wars universe has intensified my fascination. I just look forward to showing the Hera comic to my son one day and hope he enjoys reading it as much as I enjoyed drawing it.

StarWars.com: The Forces of Destiny animated series is about small acts of kindness and bravery, and in this case that means Hera training some would-be rebels the subtle art of resistance. Why did you choose this theme for Hera’s story?

Devin Grayson: I pitched a few different stories, all focusing on different aspects of Hera’s character: I had a story that focused more on her piloting and one that examined her role as ad-hoc den mother to the crew of the Ghost. But I’m glad we went with Hera the Leader, because it feels very timely to me. What better question right now than how do you inspire people to action when they’re already feeling overwhelmed with the daily struggle of existence: their families and their communities and their jobs? How do you recognize when it’s necessary to fight back and what are some ways you can do that without putting everything you love at even greater risk? Hera’s someone who can answer those kinds of questions. She understands that to motivate people, you have to see both what they’re capable of in that particular moment of time, and also what they have the potential to achieve down the line. I wanted to try to show what that might look like.

StarWars.com: How would you describe this mini adventure in your own words? Did you have any input on which character you would focus on?

Devin Grayson: I would say that this is a story about how one person can mobilize a community. Or, more specifically, it’s a story that attempts to demonstrate Hera Syndulla’s leadership skills, and the impact she has on even the people she meets only briefly.

StarWars.com: What was the biggest challenge in this project?

Devin Grayson: In order to show how effective Hera is at inspiring people, I had to let her point them in different directions and then get out of their way to some extent. That felt like a risk since I only had a limited number of pages to communicate how special I think she is. I hope that you can feel her in the story even when you can’t see her.

StarWars.com: Devin, what was your favorite part of this comic to write?

Devin Grayson: I amused myself by making up my own key for Chopper’s dialog, which I can actually translate word for word, and I really enjoyed the strained dynamic between Mettic and Zhou. But my very favorite part was thinking about how Hera would communicate to people what she saw in them. Sometimes she’d feel she could just tell them, like with Au B’ree, sometimes she felt she had to show them, as with Lemnos and his bravery, and sometimes she decided it was better not to say anything at all, like in the face of Burl’s idealism, which I think she hoped would grow and mature into something that someone else could safely channel down the line.

StarWars.com: And Eva, what was your favorite page or scene to illustrate?

Eva Widermann: Obviously, every page which featured Hera. No, I really liked the part towards the end where Hera has a one-on-one talk with Au B’ree at night by the waterfall.
    StarWars.com: And when you look at the finished comic now, what are you most proud of?

Eva Widermann: The fantastic teamwork all while living across the planet. It was the first time I joined forces with a colorist, as well, and Monica Kubina was an incredible partner to work with. Devin was always there for me when I had any further questions and she was quick with explaining parts of the story or sending references. Just a big massive THANKS to all of you!

Devin Grayson: I’m very pleased that we had the chance to show a female being bend-in-the-wind strong instead of tough-as-nails strong. The characters in the Star Wars universe tend to carry a great deal of symbolic weight, but at the same time, they’re always unique individuals, which is what gives us room to care about them. It feels awesome to have been able to participate in such dynamic, generation-spanning storytelling.

21. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I am buying this title but I can understand why sales would be low; there are obvious reasons related to the perception of being a "young readers" book, different location in the store as Chris Werms suggested, the "non-essential" nature of the stories, etc. With Marvel currently offering four ongoing Star Wars series at the moment (five if one counts the continuing series of character-based minis as an ongoing series in itself), I could totally see those with a limited degree of "discretionary Star Wars spending" giving it a pass.
    Why celebrate this? You've already chosen not to buy the book; you gain nothing if people who do enjoy it are deprived of it as well.

22. The Ganner

The Ganner Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 20, 2015
    I just don't like IDW right now that much. And I want Dark Horse to get a shot to write some more books before I die.

23. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    IDW seems to be Disney's Go-To farm-out for All Ages tie in comic media, I don't see them changing to Dark Horse at any time.

24. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    This isn't a Zero-Sum game. Dark Horse isn't waiting in the wings for IDW to drop the ball and swoop in to take their place. Even if Adventures was canceled, Dark Horse is a completely separate thing.

BigAl6ft6 and tatooinesandworm like this.
  25. Chris Werms

Chris Werms Jedi Padawan

Aug 2, 2017
    I went into my LCS yesterday for the two releases yesterday, and both had to comment on the issue being about Rose, and how much they disliked her. I hope fans of hers go ahead and pick up this issue: it's a fun story and I appreciated spending a bit more time with her. I just hate to see all of the hate Rose is getting when she didn't deserve it at all. Thankful that IDW is giving her two issues this month, hopefully Marvel can get her into the Poe Dameron rotation sooner rather than later.