main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics A/V Star Wars Adventures & SWA: Forces of Destiny comics (IDW)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Apr 14, 2017.

1. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    SWA #10 synopsis
    As Han and Chewie evade Zuckass and 4-LOM in their respective star ships, they enter the atmosphere of a nearby planet that essentially bricks both their ships. The Falcon lands in the water and thankfully has a lever where it deploys yellow barrels allowing it to float. The other ship crashes on shore. Han attempts to help a trapped Zuckass, who tries to handcuff him, but even the handcuffs don't work. Everything electrical, even 4-LOM is out for the count.

Han & Chewie leave Zuckass trapped and search the island. They find a triangle prism with a large glowing ball on top. They disable the ball and almost immediately, giant metal scorpions rise from the sand. They are now able to fulfill their programming - destroy all organic life in the galaxy.

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    hahahah this was a fun issue as these things usually are but the freakin' twist at the end was a great, unexpected highlight. And the Lando backup was nifty cuz, hey, Lando!

3. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    She makes a lot of valid points.

4. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014

Cute art! Nick was also the writer and artist for "IG-88 vs. the Gatto Gang" in SWA #9.

5. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    what is happening what just what
    I really liked this -- her comparison with what makes other franchise dolls sell is spot-on. Girls (and obvs this goes for boys or any kids) play out stories with their dolls. Other franchises have characters with memorable quirks that are great for stirring up drama in imaginary play (the same goes for writing fanfic). You don't want to play as a bunch of heroes who all behave the same, which is mostly what the Forces of Destiny women are portrayed as.

6. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Not sure how anyone else aside from Nick there can get excited for Max Rebo, except for maybe Rick McCallum.[face_devil]

7. AV-6R7

AV-6R7 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2014
    Lies! Deception! Every day, more lies.

I for one am very excited for a story staring an anatomically-correct Mad Max Rebo.

8. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I have loved Max Rebo since I was a small child who knew him only as "that blue elephant guy".

...although, freakish coincidence though it is, my name is in fact also Nick. Huh.

9. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I think California Girl is a good look for Rey.

10. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Rey Sunshine meets uncle Max Rebo.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Hah! Max Rebo backup story! This is why I get the book

12. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    I'm down for some Max Rebo action.

That cover (and frankly a lot of the IDW and Marvel art alike) with its preponderance of OT/PT species sure is causing some cognitive dissonance with the species on display in the films... only very slightly corrected for in SOLO.

Vthuil likes this.
  13. Senpezeco

Apr 27, 2014
    Revanfan1 and AV-6R7 like this.
  14. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Synopsis of #11
    So our course with the killer robots activated, so was 4-LOM who came and saved the day. They all swam to the MF where a truce was called and then quickly betrayed. Chewie and Han pretended the ship lost power again and tricked 4-LOM and Zuckass to use the only 2 parachutes. When they realized they had been tricked, it was too late and they were back on the island battling the robots as Han and Chewie pulled up at the last second and left the planet.

In the Lando comic, Lando and the kid get captured. Lando betrays the kid and they are going to kill him. He begs for his life and they let him go. Lando was working with the "bad guy" all along and was attempting to scare the boy straight which worked. Randomly at the end of the issue, both the "bad guy" and the mother character complained that things need to be different on Cloud City, heavily implying that things will change at some point when the right person steps up... I guess it's later revealed that the kid never becomes a gangster but actually joins the Rebellion. Either way, he's probably dead so I guess better to die for a cause than for none, right?

Again, I find myself asking myself why I'm bothering with these. Morbid curiosity I guess.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  15. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Star Wars Adventures #12 variants.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    AV-6R7, Daneira and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  16. padme.sky

padme.sky Jedi Padawan

Oct 30, 2016
    ^^^^^^ anidala!!!!! [face_love][face_love][face_love][face_love][face_love][face_love][face_love][face_love][face_love]

tatooinesandworm, AV-6R7 and Daneira like this.
  17. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Star Wars Adventures #14 solicit.
    [​IMG]
    (W) John Barber (A/CA) Mauricet
    Han has left to get himself into more trouble, leaving Chewie all alone with the perplexing new problem that is a major pain in his hide! The iconic Wookiee will have to use all of his strength, wits, and patience to overcome this latest danger!
    *Retailers: See your order form for incentive information.

Fan-favorite Chewbacca in his first solo Adventures tale!
    Plus, an exciting new backup feature, Flight of the Falcon!
    In Shops: Sep 19, 2018

18. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Major Tartakovsky Mace vibes on the #12 cover.

Like the beach resort setting on #14.

19. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    A four-limbed ortolan? I thought the canon ortolans had only two limbs?!?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  20. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I have to admit, the vibe I got from that Mace was... slightly different.
    [​IMG]

21. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    ...Cannot unsee.

22. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    you won't unsee Cheshire Tooka either.

Daneira likes this.
  23. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    Managed to get the Adventures Annual sent over to me in the UK as no one seems to stock it on this side of the pond.

Looking forward to reading about Jaxxon,

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Hah I still liked the Han and Chewie story cuz there was a lot of outfoxing and killer robots. Lando story turned out to be a tad more maudlin than you'd expect, though. But great line about "You lost the beard." "I like to think of it as I gained a mustache."

25. Senpezeco

Apr 27, 2014
    I just saw that the FCBD 2018 issue is available for free on Comixology. (North America only? Apologies if it's not available everywhere.)

It will also be collected in a TPB with issues 10 and 11.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    DarthJaceus and TiniTinyTony like this.