main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics A/V Star Wars Adventures & SWA: Forces of Destiny comics (IDW)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  2. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Looks pretty good, and I can't wait for the 5 parter in October. Go IDW go!

DarthJaceus likes this.
  3. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
  4. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    It's weird they drew in the tiny mole on the right side of Natalie Portman's face but not the much more prominent one on her left side.

5. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    From IDW's October solicits:

STAR WARS ADVENTURES #15
    (W) James Gilarte, Michael Moreci (A/CA) Mauricet
    In Shops: Oct 10, 2018
    When an emergency landing separates BB-8 from Poe Dameron, the astromech droid must make friends with the natives to repair their ship and return home to the Resistance.
    Plus, an exciting new Flight of the Falcon story!

[​IMG]

6. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Really like where this new comic is headed
    [​IMG]

7. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I like the Max Rebo illustration at the bottom of that one. lol

I need to check out more of these, they look fun.

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    So there was some decent comic booking in the 1st story with the panel structure, mostly I thought it was clever when Yoda said "tell us everything that happened" and then the next dialogue box is Anakin saying "I sent senator padme to her room and then I retired to mine" but it shows them actually in the same room together. And while this is the 2nd killer robot activation story in a row in the IDW comic after the Han one, this one has killer Ewoks and a decent twist so I don't mind.

the backup story I have a timeline question: it's set during the prequel so the Twi'Lek is a child, right? But the framing device of the Tales from Wild Space are set in ST era. so does that make the Twi'Lek who is telling the story to Graff like, what, 70 at least? She didn't look 70! Maybe the Twi'Lek is a dirty liar and everyone at the start of the story calling her miserable was right. (the old lady calling the Twi'Lek kid miserable was insanely harsh hahahha)

9. Fallen Jedi Master

Fallen Jedi Master Jedi Master star 4

Apr 13, 2017
    This is a great Comics series

The Positive Fan likes this.
  10. Senpezeco

Apr 27, 2014
    Good news from IDW's November solicitations: STAR WARS ADVENTURES: DESTROYER DOWN, once a loot crate exclusive, is being republished as a three-issue mini-series! #1 (of 3): In shops: Nov 07, 2018; SRP: $3.99

I haven't yet found a cover for STAR WARS ADVENTURES #16, but here is the publisher's summary:
    (W) Chris “Doc” Wyatt, Michael Moreci, Kevin Burke (A) Arianna Florean (A/CA) Valentina Pinto
    In shops: Nov 21, 2018; SRP: $3.99
    Welcome to the Resistance! Star Wars Resistance is an exciting new animated series coming to the Disney Channel this fall, and making its Star Wars Adventures debut in this very issue! In the time before The Force Awakens, this all-new adventure follows the fledgling Resistance as it begins to realize the growing threat of the First Order!
    Ties into the new Star Wars Resistance animated show coming this fall to Disney Channel!
    Written by Resistance show writers Chris “Doc” Wyatt and Kevin Burke!
    Plus, an exciting new Flight of the Falcon story!

11. DarthJaceus

DarthJaceus Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 6, 2016
    Oooh good news! I was probably just going to buy a copy online, but at least this way I know for sure I can get it

12. Senpezeco

Apr 27, 2014
    DarthJaceus and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  13. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    The Blue Brothers... I actually thought a long time ago that that would be a funny name for a pair of Ortolan musicians in the GFFA... guess I wasn't as clever as I thought I was!

14. Senpezeco

Apr 27, 2014
    Synopsis of the Max Rebo back-up story, "The Blue Brothers" / "Mistaken Identity":
    Max Rebo goes out for a stroll through Mos Eisley, but the locals chase and corner him, angrily shouting that he owes them money. His brother Azool swoops in to rescue him and the two buzz through town, still pursued by the locals -- and Boushh! Max realizes Azool has been swindling the locals and is terrified Jabba will throw them both to the Sarlacc for stealing on his turf, but Azool is not impressed or intimidated by Jabba.

Max tosses Azool's bag of money off the back of his speeder to the locals, who abandon their pursuit to brawl with one another over it. A voice booms over the commotion -- Jabba! As Max feared, Jabba is indeed unhappy that Azool has been stealing on his turf, but he spares Azool's life due to his relation to "our faithful band leader". Jabba punishes and embarrasses Azool by turning him into a walking tray of drinks to serve his palace entourage (Boba Fett and Bib Fortuna shown among them #BibWatch).

A bit from Legends:
    Jabba addresses Azool by his full name, Azool Phantelle -- this surname is just one letter off from Max Rebo's birth name in Legends, Siiruulian Phantele.

Noni, Emil Graf's pet, has stashed some real goodies in her nest of stolen items:
    [​IMG]

15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    phew, great news about Destroyer Down, I kept looking on Ebay, forgot what my Ebay account was, closed the window down, kept telling myself I had to get it eventually. IDW is going to really turn up the output in the fall with the tales of Vader's Castle and Destroyer Down and the ongoing.

16. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Aww, makes sense so Max Rebo must be his stage name. I was going to ask if it was a Charlie Sheen / Emilio Estevez type of situation.

17. Senpezeco

Apr 27, 2014
    The new backup feature, Flight of the Falcon, begins in SWA #14. It's not due out until September 26, but I'm posting early because I'm happy to see cover B features Bazine Netal:

[​IMG]

A refresher on Flight of the Falcon:
    (Black Spire Outpost on Batuu is also the setting for Disney's Galaxy's Edge land, which will feature a Falcon ride.)

For you TPB buyers, the five issues of Tales From Vader's Castle (which I am HYPED for) will be collected and published May 7, 2019.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  18. DarthJaceus

DarthJaceus Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 6, 2016
    Oh man! It feels so far away, but at the same time this year is going by pretty quickly. I'm hyped!

19. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Dang, Batuu is getting a lot of mileage!

20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    yah I just started reading Thrawn a few weeks ago so I get it now, awesome. Also there's a funny line in Thrawn when a subordinate muses "everyone seems to end up on Black Spire anyway"

As for this SWA issue, I still like the crazy actress alien lady and how completely batty she is by the end. Very Norma Desmond "I'm ready for my closeup!!" And the Max Rebo back up had some cool art and a chance to see Rebo's species in action with their only two legs/arms (how do they sit is what I want to know). Also anyone notice Rebo's renegade brother had a Han Solo vest? Probably just a way to distinguish them. But does that mean Max Rebo is naked? Also apparently the tales from wild space back up droid is a racist so that's a thing.

21. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Ortolan -- with a GUN?!

I absolutely adored the last SWA. Apart from the series getting a more SW Tales-esque vibe (really miss that series), the levels of meta were [chef's kiss].

[​IMG]

22. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    It literally took me until the last panel to realize that that's Anakin pre-Vader.

23. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    This definitely seems like an issue I'm going to have to read.

If you really want to know:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Star Wars Adventures #14 preview.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I agree with whoever said the IDW series is like a spiritual successor to Tales. Nothing against Marvel but I really enjoy the more lighthearted and slightly less restrained stories we've been getting from IDW.