main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics A/V Star Wars Adventures & SWA: Forces of Destiny comics (IDW)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Apr 14, 2017.

1. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    The trade paperback was at my local comic shop today. I didn't pick it up but it was noticeably smaller than a standard TPB

Jedi Ben likes this.
  2. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    These stories are good whether canon, cannon, or boom boom. So some may be a bot far fetched than others. I can live with it.

BobaMatt likes this.
  3. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    I liked the back up a lot more than the main in issue 3. The over the top making Finn look like a doofus was too much for me.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

4. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    I loved Finn and K2 in this one. Two of my favorite characters in this era.

5. BeesInABar

BeesInABar Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2015
    I’m kind of okay with violations of the “This was his first offense” line now that the novel and comics have given us the Phasma who will do or say anything to survive. Hux was looking for someone to blame, and Phasma wasn’t going to let it be her. For all we know Finn had a disciplinary record a mile long that she deleted right before that scene.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. T7-01

T7-01 Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2016
    He already was a doofus in TFA (that's the reason I don't really like him and I hope TLJ will make him a better character). I actually can see him doing that, but it's of course over the top.

[​IMG]

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  7. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    In TFA, Kylo Ren sensed that Finn didn't comply with Phasma's order to execute the villagers and guessed with ease that he was the one that defected. And yet the same Kylo Ren thought that an empty helmet being waved right in front of him was actually Phasma?!? How can that seriously fit with the TFA Kylo? It can't.

Look, the comic is perfectly fine and I can see how it can be entertaining and funny to kids that read it. IDW should continue making comics like this because there is an audience for them. But the issue I have is the double standards by LFL. Everything from 2015 onwards is supposed to be canon and fit seamlessly into one continuity? Oh, well here's a story that doesn't fit that mould. You want other non-canon stories from Legends continued? Sorry, can't do that because who knows why.

And I'll say this again, just to make sure that I'm not quoted out of context: the comics are perfectly fine, the fact that they aren't 100% canon is also perfectly fine. The fact that they don't publish Legends stories is hypocritical at this point and that's what isn't fine.

Just my two cents.

Vizzy91, revan772, Jedi Jessy and 7 others like this.
  8. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I definitely agree with spicer that there's no way this is 100% canon. Like, at all.

T7-01, Vthuil and spicer like this.
  9. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Again, I could totally see this happening in a Lego Star Wars thing. Which is what I think this particular story should be considered akin to.

spicer and Revanfan1 like this.
  10. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    It's quite a bit like the old Star Wars Tales situation. I recall those moving from "no status" to "blanket non-canon" to "some few are canon" (but were often debated).

Revanfan1 and Vthuil like this.
  11. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    I actually agree with you here. If they are willing to print a story that clearly isn't 100% canon, or even canon-adjacent, then why not just print more Legends stories. Because I promise you, there is still a huge market for those stories.

SilentGuy66 and spicer like this.
  12. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Probably because it's worth a lot more to Disney and Lucasfilm to devote all their resources to their own timeline instead if splitting them between two.

Even if this is a silly version of a canon story ala Lego Star Wars, it still falls into the Disney EU with characters that are recognizable from the Disney EU.

13. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Well, these are canon. And didn't that first ash tray issue say these were stories being told by R2 and C-3PO? If that's the case, Kylo and Phasma acting a little "goofy" isn't all that hard to digest. And I've seen some of he panels from the issue, and they're really not as "goofy"/unlike TFA. I'll be getting the TPBs so I haven't read it, but I think people are over exaggerating.

14. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Re: canon? I don't care. I just know my 7yo daughter reads them to me each month, and we both enjoy the heck out of them. More fun stories with Rey, Finn, and K2 have been very appreciated in this house.

15. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Star Wars Adventures #4 variant covers.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    Perhaps Kylo did notice it was someone holding a helmet?
    It's just that because he couldn't tell it was Phasma he assumed she was stark naked and didn't want to be proved correct?

AV-6R7 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  17. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    If you're in the UK and looking for this, try Forbidden Planet. I just got the weekly comic newsletter from them and issues 1-3 are in it.

18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    There will be trade collections too.

19. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    It has really become a trend to make Leia wear Naboo dresses, isn't it?

20. tatooinesandworm

Jul 30, 2015
    I got my trade of volume 1. They are slightly bigger than the Dark Horse omnibuses. A lot smaller than normal trade size.

Also, volume 1 includes the Ashcan.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  21. tatooinesandworm

Jul 30, 2015
    Sorry, my memory isn’t what it used to be. The IDW trade is the exact same size as the Dark Horse Omnibuses. Legends status confirmed ;)

[​IMG]

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  22. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I liked issue 3, I thought both the Finn and the K2 stories were really fun with some good art and banter. I thought the little critter (and friends) were probably smarter than presented because by the end one of them is piloting (badly) a First Order transport. And Finn saying "I HATE THIS DAY!" was funny, as was all of K-2's lines (Alan Tyduck got a co-writing credit on that story so I'm assuming most of the K2 dialogue came from him)

As for the canon-ness, as far as is said, it is. Hey, maybe even Kylo was having an off day, he was ranting about completing his training so maybe his mind was elsewhere. Guy is a tad mercurial. Also I love the notion that the all seeing bad guy is fooled by a nodding helmet. And Phasma seemed very on point, she wanted the critter executed and then when saw the superiority in numbers she backed off to save herself.

23. lordpixie

lordpixie Jedi Master star 2

Aug 30, 2015
    Just to let you uk guys know i picked up issues 1-3 today in forbidden planet and Yoda only knows how long the wait for issue 4 and vol 1 trade will be :)

24. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Reading the title of this thread - I didn't know that IDW is going to be doing "Forces of Destiny" comics. I just googled to learn more about it and found this article on starwars.com

http://www.starwars.com/news/nycc-2017-star-wars-forces-of-destiny-comic-coming-from-idw

A nice little 5 issue run is cool, but seems to be missing a lot of other female characters featured in the show. I guess if it does well, they'll do more. Let's hope these are better than the 2 minute cartoon shorts.

25. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Do we know when issue 4 is due out?