main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books STAR WARS: AFTERMATH

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarthTalgus, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I don't think she is, at least not in the Vidian sense, which I suspect the FO would be very pro!

2. RogueSix

RogueSix Jedi Youngling

Dec 30, 2015

I believe she is going to be key in the sense that she is a pawn (or mouthpiece if you will) to a much larger plan that is unfolding at the end of Aftermath.

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah the Fleet Admiral steered her out of the room which metaphorically implies that he's pulling a lot of strings and Slone is, unfortunately, going to be a puppet of it.

Iron_lord likes this.
  4. Defensor

Defensor Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 23, 2015

I actually really liked the reveal that Sloane was a puppet. Throughout the book, I always felt something was off with her characterization: she seemed very pragmatic and pratical, but at the same time extremely sure that her opinions and plans were the right ones. She didn't seem to even contemplate that some of her more seasoned colleagues could have a legitimate opinion - she wrote them off immediately -, which is odd for someone so rational. But in the end, everything retroactively made sense: her certainty didn't come from arrogance, it came from loyalty. Her pragmatism played its role in the sense that she had a job to perform and she performed it. Even when the Fleet Admiral admits that he did use her as a replaceable pawn, she just lets it kind of sink in. No outburst of anger. It is as if she thought to herself "Indeed. I suppose I am truly expendable". In the context of a galaxy where almost all of our players are either fighting each other for power or struggling to keep themselves alive, I find it quite refreshing to find a character with this level of detachment and, to an extent, content with their place in life. All of this is just my interpretation of her, obviously.

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah, agreed, Slone seems way more dedicated to the cause than most Imps. Hell, maybe that's why she could be a founding member of the First Order, because she believes.

RogueSix likes this.
  6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    She believes but the ideals alone aren't enough for her, if they were she wouldn't have ended up opposing Vidian.

Of course, it's 15 years later, is she still that same person? I think so. Someone like Sloane would define herself, in part, in terms of permanence and stability of character.

Cheeky Potato likes this.
  7. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Vidian was a traitor and he was going to throw her under the bus. I'm not sure that's really an indicator of anything.

8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    It's about ideology and methods V.

Sloane rejected Vidian's plan to blow up the moon, so rejecting 'anything for the cause' which I'd see the FO as being big believers in.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    No, I don't think so. I thought about that, and it's important to remember that this program was seeded as early as a few years before ANH. All that's required is the first stages of this program begin -- and yes, it needs to have started in large numbers, but that does not mean the entity known as the First Order needed to exist that early.

If anything, it suggests the opposite to me. The Empire still has to drain itself of conventional resources, and then they're stripped of the right to train more stormtroopers. But the individuals responsible for the new stormie program continue to run it in the shadows, and by the time the FO emerges they have cadres of stormie cadets ready to go despite the Empire having already lost its stormies.

The origins of the FO go deep, but the political-military organization we see in the film cannot really have risen before Jakku because it makes its origin story that of defeat and failure. Which, I mean, unless they're adopting a Pellaeon-like mythos where failure is exalted...

Charlemagne19 and Jedi Ben like this.
  10. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I get the impression of Sloane being more practical than an ideologue. She'll go along as long as it benefits her but that's all.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  11. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I just finished this book, after having borrowed it from my local library. It was kind of a let down for me. I get the purpose was to establish the circumstances of how The First Order came to be, but I was kind of hoping there'd be some familiar faces that would have eventually have an impact in TFA and beyond. They mention Luke, Leia, and Lando, in passing, and Han gets an otherwise meaningless "Interlude" chapter that has absolutely zero to do with what's going on on and around Akiva. It went off in other tangents too (also called "interludes"). I know there's supposed to be more books following up from this one, but I think I may pass on them; even if they were available at my library.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000

Yes and no -- she's a Loyalist, who believes in the idea of the Empire. So while she's been interested in advancement to be certain, it's not the sort of advancement that you might see in, say, a Legends-era warlord. She's pretty committed to the idea of getting these disparate Imperial factions together, and to abandon their personal ambitions as a result.

But her view of Imperial resurgence is flexible and pragmatic, absolutely. She's goal-oriented.

13. RogueSix

RogueSix Jedi Youngling

Dec 30, 2015

Don't give up hope yet. I can almost guarantee the Han and Chewie interlude is going to be the main plot for the next book in the series. A Google search of the cover art for the next book pretty much gives that one away.

14. RogueSix

RogueSix Jedi Youngling

Dec 30, 2015

I disagree. I think Pfluegermeister has it right. Regardless of when the program was originally founded, FN-2187/"Finn" was raised from birth in the FO ideology, not the Empire's. So with that in mind, even if he was born under Imperial rule, by the time he started developing cognition (4 to 5 years old, maybe even earlier), his subjugation into FO ideals would have had to begun.

And I do believe their origin story can and is rooted in failure, but not theirs. The annihilation of the Empire as seen in Aftermath and at Jakku would have been the perfect opportunity for a radical splinter group of the old Empire to rise up and fill the power vacuum that the Empire had left in its absence. Failure wasn't necessarily exalted, but I believe it was used to "recruit" the Empire's radical followers that weren't necessarily ready to accept rule under the New Republic.

BigAl6ft6 and Charlemagne19 like this.
  15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't see how that follows. The FO's "ideals" are not substantively different from Imperial ones, at least not in the sense that's relevant for stormtroopers: particularly obedience. We already know this training program was being prototyped by Hux the Elder during the First Galactic Empire, prior to Yavin.

I don't see how you can go from "Finn was being trained" to "the First Order was definitively established" -- you're taking the evidence and drawing conclusions beyond those which are warranted. You need more evidence.

And the thing is, it still doesn't mean that the fleet admiral or anything he's creating has to do with the First Order. Again, given that he commands the Ravager and the Ravager goes down at Jakku, he's not really the guy to bring the FO out of the ashes of the Empire if he's the one that burnt the damn thing to bits :p

16. RogueSix

RogueSix Jedi Youngling

Dec 30, 2015

Not gonna lie, you make a very good argument. I just think at the most basic level, based solely on TFA, there is nothing to suggest that Finn was ever trained under "Empire" rule versus FO rule. And going back to my original argument, just the time it took to build Starkiller base, the FO has to be at least 20 years old if not more. But hey, I love a good hearted debate just like the next guy. Cheers!

17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I think what'll happen is that we'll see different seeds of the FO germinate at different times, perhaps the stormies and the research into SKB type tech occurs sooner etc. But the Empire won't definitively transform into (or be taken over by) the FO until sometime after Jakku, because there's that cold war portion we're told about in the VD. Perhaps there's even an internal struggle for the soul of the Empire -- so to speak -- before the FO wins out? It would fit in well with their emphasis on ideological purity, and perhaps be a rather Nazi-like thing that they blame the aristocracy and the monarchists for losing the war.

Ultimately we just have some very limited data points to work with right now, so stringing them together with speculation is going to be messy.

themetresgained and RogueSix like this.
  18. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I think the First Order will be created as a loophole of the Galactic Concordance. The Empire will be dissolved and the First Order will emerge in the aftermath.

Basically, the New French Republic.

Same as the Old French Republic.

But with trained Stormtroopers!

The problem with this attitude is it assumes the First Order is any worse than the Galactic Empire. It's not. Anyone who would serve the Galactic Empire would serve the First Order.

I see no reasons why this would not be the case.

I mean, unless you're a Coreworlder and thus have no honor.

Voltron64 likes this.
  19. Defensor

Defensor Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 23, 2015
    On the subject of the First Order arising in Aftermath, I really don't think we'll get an in-depth explanation of that in this new series. I think the series will focus more on the last hurrah of the Empire, rallied under the Fleet Admiral, and that this last effort will meet its end over Jakku. We might get clues and interludes that imply a great deal about the First Order, but I don't see we getting a good look at that inception.

I don't think Sloane's character is about ambition. Sloane strikes me as practical, yes, but in the sense that she has a mission to accomplish and will stop at nothing to accomplish it. The mission is not one focused on furthering her position, but one delegated to her by someone else. I see her as effective and relentless, but needing someone to steer all that energy into a certain direction. In other words, she's an ideal Number 2.

BigAl6ft6 and darklordoftech like this.
  20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, unless they operate on the Banker Principle....;)

Sinrebirth likes this.
  21. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    It could be a Uriah Gambit (see TV tropes).

The Fleet Admiral, either answering to Snoke or Snoke himself, proceeds to lead all of his political enemies and their forces into the trap at Jakku. This results in their complete destruction and Snoke gaining unchallenged control over the Empire, which he proceeds to recreate as the First Order loyal only to himself. Snoke proceeds to sign the Galactic Concordance and portrays himself as a galactic peacekeeper.

He possibly also becomes a friend of the Solo family....giving him access to their child.

That would be how I would do it, at least.

BigAl6ft6 and Sinrebirth like this.
  22. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    WHICH French Republic? The first, the second, the third, the fourth, or the fifth?

23. THE EVIL CLIFFIE

THE EVIL CLIFFIE Jedi Master star 2

Jul 11, 2008
    I'm presuming they're talking about the Fourth transitioning to the Fifth. Unless they're talking about the Third Republic rising from the ashes of the Second Empire.

24. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    More just an example of how governments can and do transition. :)

THE EVIL CLIFFIE likes this.
  25. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    Finally started listening to this on Audio Book and made it to chapter 9

This whole Mon Mothma demilitarization thing --- I'm speechless. Really? Was she really so daft? Her actions here are way too PT-like for my taste. Ignorance is not bliss when you've just made it through 2 massive wars etc.
    Way too naive a portrayal -- maybe it's the voice actor -- not really sure.

But it pisses me off that she is doing this and makes me want to root for the Empire's Resurgence 8-}

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.