main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books STAR WARS: AFTERMATH

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarthTalgus, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I also don't like the demilitarization, but everyone else seems to think it is the most amazing thing that could have possibly happened.

2. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    It's definitely an interesting concept. We (the reader) can see some of the issues that an extensive de-militarization can cause, but from an in-universe perspective, it really did make good sense. The Galaxy had just been through decades of being intensely militarized, to the point where the Republic and Empire basically ran massive military-industrial complexes. The people of the Galaxy would be tired of war and tired of the perception that Coruscant and it's government of the day control all the power.

Mon Mothma's decision basically addresses all of the concerns people had about the corruption in the Old Republic, plus shows how her government will be different. Did she go to far? Maybe. But let's not forget that after Jakku, the Empire is gone and the Galaxy will experience two decades of peace and prosperity.

Let's not forget, she didn't abolish standing militaries. Far from it. Rather, her decision put the majority of military power back into the hands of the New Republic's member worlds, while retaining a fleet that was large enough to keep the peace and defend NR borders.

The First Order was scared enough of the NRDF that they chose to destroy it in a sneak attack, rather than fight it head on in battle. That points to the NRDF's "10%" still being an incredibly formidable force to fight.

--Adm. Nick

3. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    And also she only said this would be done when hostilities calmed down. There's no indication it happened as soon as the Battle of Jakku was won and the Galactic Concordance happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jedi Ben likes this.
  4. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    All I see is a recipe to weaken the New Republic to allow for the rise of the First Order.

5. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Go read it and Lost Stars. Context is golden.

Jedi Ben and AdmiralNick22 like this.
  6. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I agree. It's really naïve, just because you stop wanting to fight doesn't mean the Empire and its remnants won't want to fight you.

episodenone likes this.
  7. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Well reparations were a thing, clearly crippling the Empire for three decades, and nary an Imperial world was seen in the Core and Inner Rim, considering what we know about the treaty territories and those in the known Galaxy by the time of BTA.

8. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Reparations don't work very well, the aftermath of World War I showed that by creating the perfect environment for the rise of Hitler, and it seems to have done the same thing for the rise of the First Order.

episodenone likes this.
  9. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Well, the Empire was reduced to the very little territory. If not for the Unknown Regions it'd be finished, or perhaps it would have saved itself from the fascists.

10. ShiroxCloud

ShiroxCloud Jedi Knight

Jan 21, 2016
    Zeta1127: In the GFFA, they don't have WWII to say 'well, we should/shouldn't do this or that.'

11. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I think reparations were only once mentioned in Legends, in that the GA was paying reparations to Corellia and Kashyyyk after Daala took over.

Oh, and sanctions annihilating the Kaleesh economy and forcing them to become Banking Clan vassals.

12. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    TFA is pretty much the start of World War II.

13. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Villecham is a very obvious nod to that, yes, we know.

14. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't think this discussion can go anywhere, because everything I say just gets disregarded because the new canon said this is what happened, and that is apparently good enough.

15. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Or, I'm saying that the new canon actually has answers to what you're saying already.

16. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I predicted what TFA would be like based on what Aftermath did, but most people seem to like it and I don't.

17. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    But you didn't like LotF etc either I recall? Though I can't recall if you read it.

18. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I haven't read the post-NJO or watched TCW, and I have no desire to do so because everything about them screams, "Do not read or watch this at all costs, because you will hate them." But such arguments fall on deaf ears with you, because you stubbornly believe it can all work, while I simply won't try to put a round peg through a square hole.

19. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    I feel like Mothma was attempting to prevent another Empire by keeping the majority of the military power outside of the chancellors jurisdiction.

20. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    No, there was far more to it than merely that, like a global depression for instance.

This tendency of the ST to apparently invoke WW2 isn't really encouraging.

Zeta, this is The Sinny.

Of course he believes he can make it all work!

Sinrebirth likes this.
  21. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    Admittedly I've been listening while commuting and might miss details as I am trying not to get hit by a car or worse.

But I didn't get the impression that all hostilities were ended or that she intended it that way -- more as a "show of a good faith" that "since the new chancellor drops all the military powers then all sides would feel happy things" type of scenario.

Clearly the IFC had enough gumption to form -- and it just seems so short sighted to presume what seemed to me to be a complete demilitarization by Mothm. There is the guy telling her it is not the best idea -- and she essentially "shushes" him with happy go luck y words of encouragement.

Granted I haven't read any further [no worries -- if I get spoiled i'll still finish and am not worried about that]

And look - if Mothma felt the the individual planets could be responsible for their own security -- she must have forgotten everything that happened to planets like Naboo and Alderaan that had no military's.

Disclaimer: I am speaking only from the NEU as my memory of Legends is spotty at best.

22. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    Or... you could watch it all and relax and have fun with it -- it's not being created to make people angry but to let us all enjoy the GFFA all the more! [:D]

spicer likes this.
  23. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Well, another Palpatine wasn't the problem to worry about as long as there are still remnants of the Empire out there that could pose an external threat. The demilitarization policy does not heed the phrase, "Si vis pacem, para bellum." If the New Republic was the galactic government uniting the entire galaxy, I might be inclined to agree with the policy, but since they aren't the policy just opens the door for another power such as the First Order to do what they did in TFA.

I can't have fun with those things, because I don't believe they work. Yeah, it wasn't their intention, but they managed to make me disappointed. I enjoy the galaxy far, far away, just not this new galaxy far, far away.

episodenone likes this.
  24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh dear, invoking Latin on a board where Jello is active....

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  25. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I know exactly what I am doing, because that is one of the few Latin phrases that is virtually impossible to screw up, and I already brought it up before without incident.