main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books STAR WARS: AFTERMATH

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarthTalgus, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    Where was Temmin in TFA? And when Rae Sloane really pops up in that Kanan-Rebels-comic too, (I haven't red) then this is even adding more weight to my theory that the Aftermath-trilogy is designed according to the Rebels format:

1. Introduction of many new OCs to gain hold in the fan-hearts while most of the established characters are absent not to steal the show from the newbies. Otherwise: no hope for selling Lego-mini-figures of the newbies. :p
    2. Come back of already popular characters to keep the audience tuned in.
    3. The final pouring into ANH/TFA.

Anyway, the first part was kind of petty and not really SW-cred, so devoid of any force-wielders and lightsaber-stuff as it was.

2. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Something without lightsabers and Force users being deemed "lacking in SW cred" is really not a path Star Wars novels should go back down.

3. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    So you've got my point. ;)

Any hint about, where is Temmin in TFA?

4. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    That's why I loved the book so much!

Temmin is Snap.

5. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015
    Temmin Snap Wesley is, it seems to me, Poe's right hand man. He's also in the Poe Dameron comic series. And Rae Sloane has been in a lot of media. Insider short stories, A New Dawn, short stories in the Rise of the Empire bind up, Aftermath, the Kanan comic series... They're making her like a kind of glue to make their properties feel cohesive. I'd be a little surprised if she never showed up on screen

Maythe14thBeWithYou and Sudooku like this.
  6. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    As mentioned above, he's Greg Grunberg's X-wing pilot.

Maythe14thBeWithYou likes this.
  7. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    This guy:

[​IMG]

8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    So I finally got this book.

I dunno guys. I haven't opened it yet but I'm kinda afraid I'll let someone down. Like I missed all the fighting, and I wanted to get in on the action, so here's what my plan is:

-To those who loved the novel: I will be a raging homophobe. I hear there's a gay imperial. That guy. I'll totally hate on that guy. I don't care what he does, I'm already offended.

-To those who hated the novel: You hated the present tense? You hated the herkily-jerkily wibbily wobblily TIE fighters? Well guess what. I love herkily-jerkily TIE fighters in the present tense. Except when they're flown by gay imperials. How dare they.

-To those who love the old EU: I hear Wedge has a new GF. I don't care who it is, I'm going to take this opportunity to trash on Iella. What a horrible woman. Horrible. And Qwi Xux. She sucked too. Old EU Wedge in general was a poorly developed character with no backstory to speak of. The new one is so much better. Tycho, Wes, and Hobbie were just unnecessary baggage.

-To those who love the new EU: Hahaha I just called it "EU". Like it's not as canon as the movies. Take that, suckers. You think Disney thinks this book is as official as TFA? The status of this book's canonicity is like that of a herkily-jerkily TIE fighter. Somebody will overwrite it in 20 years.

-To Chuck Wendig: I will send you hate mail. Expect ravens. Dark wings, dark words. Ignore the fact the original addressee names (i.e. Karen Traviss, Troy Denning) are crossed off and you're written over the top. I had to recycle you see.

-To people who loved/hated Mr. Bones: I hear there was a dichotomous reaction to this character among the fans. So I will have no opinion of this character whatsoever.

OK I think I'm mentally prepared for this book. I expect to have many great conversations about this book with those who read it, and those who haven't but still took time out of their busy schedules to write their reviews on Amazon and Good Reads. Also I expect to respond to all of your comments with a "Your Opinion Is Wrong"-gif and not actually read any of them.

9. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    GASP How could you? Insulting Wedge warrants the worst possible punishment............watching the entire Ewoks cartoon!!!!!!!!

10. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014

OK, then. Wedge is a poopsy nerf-hearder who leaves the fresher seat open.

*happily goes off to watch the cartoon*

11. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    I think you mean: Wedge Antilles hops on one transparisteel leg.

12. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

Or say this all the time: "Yub yub, commander."

Force Smuggler likes this.
  13. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Halfway through this. Narration keeps reminding Wedge of his one shot. He likes space because it's "quiet up here." Narration reminds Wedge and Norra to WAIT FOR IT in big italicy words.

This book can be read as a song. And I know the tune.

Wedge don't throw away your shot.

14. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    1/4th into this book, recently started reading it. So I figured out by reading kinda slow and not rush the book, it actually makes much sense and it's not advanced to read-- rather me being hasty :p (I've only read about 3 canon star wars books, tons and tons of comics and plan to read much more books)

I got inspired to read it after I read some cool stuff about aftermath life debt, so I plan on reading that after this and of course Empire's End when it's out. So far not that much has been set in motion. Norra just injected her son and made him go unconscious so that she most likely will take him off world against his will. Rae Sloane has also just left the meeting with the imperials when saying that there will be a meeting tonight to discuss the future of the empire. Just started at chapter ten, and something about the drunk ex-imperial Sinjir which I have yet to read.

Barriss_Coffee and Sinrebirth like this.
  15. Kurisan

Kurisan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    I'm a third way through this now. Gotta say I'm not totally convinced by the staccato, incomplete sentences, present tense style. That can work, but is very intense, gets tiring for a whole novel. Also, I'm very much reminded of James Ellroy (The Black Dahlia, LA Confidential etc). Trouble is, Ellroy's stories are very nasty and gritty, with ultraviolent criminals, bad cops and sexual violence. He has the patois down. SW seems too "lite" to try and emulate this style, knowhattimean?

Also, I was dispointed that it's about abunch of new characters I've never heard of before or care much about. I picked this up as research to see what the new timeline was like after ROTJ, what Luke/Leia/Han were up to, maybe even a link to how TFA comes about. That's my fault for not studying the back cover before buying, I guess.

Finally, and I admit I'm a bit of a dinosaur on this point, the constantly leaping POV is just offputting to me - seems like a lack of discipline. There needs to be a very real literary reason to that. My brother says the various characters come together soon, and it settles down, so I'll peservere. I wondered what others thought.

I must give notice that these negative comments are entirely subjective: I think I haven't been giving this book its due attention. I was expecting an easy-read Luke/Leia/Han romp, I guess.

K

Sudooku likes this.
  16. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    I just finished the book and it was great most of the time when I understood what was going on, heh. Rae Sloane, Norra and Sinjir are one of my new favorite EU characters. I plan on beginning on life debt very soon.

Edit: Nevermind

17. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Pretty certain it's right at the end of Aftermath but Rax isn't identified Wolffe.

18. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015

I know he is identified as Gallius Rax in life debt. But the only time I recall of Gallius Rax in aftermath is when Sloane speaks to Valco Pandion about it, not saying his name.

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    His name's never mentioned in Aftermath.

What someone's done in that summary is gone and added Rax's name to it so giving a false picture of how the Epilogue sequence happens in Aftermath. That's where Rax turns up again.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  20. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    Is Sloane pronounced "slowein" or "slon" .. I prefer the first, but google translate pronounces it as slon.

21. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Hard O like in "cone"

22. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    No, he's not mentioned. He appears at the very end and it isn't until LD we hear his actual name. I was surprised they delved so much into his backstory in the book. That was a pleasant surprise.

23. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    Eh ... seems like one has to read every upcoming petty comic now to make sure to know every crucial or semi-crucial character, to understand, to enjoy and to put together every story-subline in the Aftermath-trilogy, which is labeled to be the continuation of ROTJ in a quite high-handed manner. Why can't they just say that the Aftermath-trilogy is rather a far-away continuation of the comic "The last Padawan" which is featuring Rae Sloane together with Kanan Jarrus aka Caleb Dume instead?

To make it clear: I don't mind the introduction of new interesting characters at all. But in Aftermath they are mushrooming and dominating far too much. I just feel like getting tangoed. Sorry, dudes. :(

24. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    @Sudooku- I agree. I think, as fans, getting every series and mini is unnecessary. I don't think everyone will have an impact, some more than others obviously. Also, as fans we may not like every title or want to get every one for instance if we don't like the writer and/or artist. Is there a way to tell their level of importance lol?

Sudooku and Jedi Ben like this.
  25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Sudooku is going to hate Life Debt then.

No, but neither is it needed or necessary - it's a road you really don't want to go down. LD does the easter egg continuity refs really well, they're great if you get them but they're not required in any way to enjoy the story just as it.