main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books STAR WARS: AFTERMATH

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarthTalgus, Mar 10, 2015.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    If it means Fett stays dead, I'll take it.

Or bring him back just so resurrected Asajj can kill him. O:)

Random Comments and cwustudent like this.
  2. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Well, of course.

It's not like we've had a story where everyone thought that she definitively dead, no she's alive, okay now she died dramatically, nope, she just got the hell out of there. obession *cough*

3. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    More like dead from alcohol poisoning within five...

Random Comments and Vthuil like this.
  4. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    By story potential, I'm not referring to their ability to tell a good story, but his relevance to the over all universe. I think a good example of story potential is the situation with Darth Maul. When TCW brought him back, they used him very well; those are some of my favorite episodes. Howerver, this doesn't mean bringing him back benefited the story; I'd even argue that it detracted from it. The focus of TCW was on Anakin and Ahsoka, the war, and a few other characters. Bringing back Darth Maul, pushed all of those aside, except for Obi-Wan (Assajj played a small role in the Darth Maul arc but not much), so most of the show's areas of focus were left aside for five episodes. Now Obi-Wan was a major character, but the way they used Maul didn't forward his story; it possibly even detracted from it (he's no longer the first Jedi to kill a Sith in 1000 years and they didn't compensate by touching on the fact that Maul killed Qui-gon). As a result, Darth Maul did not benefit the overall narrative, but instead provided a destraction from it. They got some good episodes from ihis resurrection, but they could have used those episodes for more relevant material. This is not to say that they couldn't have used Maul in a manner more fitting with the show (there was potential there), but even if they found a better way to do so, they'd have to consider whether or not there were better ways to achieve that purpose without bringing Maul back. That's an important consideration because revivals can often strain the audience's ability to suspend disbelief. I doubt there would have been much they could have done only with Darth Maul, so his revival was unnecessary. I think it's the same situation with Boba.

Being the best bounty hunter isn't enough to make him very unique or add value to bringing him into a story. I'll also add, that "best" is a bad thing to use in a characterization because it creates problems with making other characters a credible threat or authors trying to one up each other. So a resurrection on those grounds is likely more appealing to a cool factor rather than narrative value. And I do feel a revived Boba lacks that. What was his purpose in the story ? To capture Han. He completed that job, but then was defeated. Now that that is done, Boba has no connection to the main characters. Boba is a Bounty Hunter so he has no reason to continue chasing Han. No one is paying him, there are better uses of his time. This means he wouldnt organically have a place that another character couldn't in the overall story. Thus, a revival isn't worth it. Just create a new character. Boba's place in the story is over. This doesn't mean they couldn't tell a great story with a revived Boba, but it just wouldn't be likely benefit the overall story line. Furthermore, it would likely be a story they could tell prior to ROTJ.

I guess my point is that, if a character is going to be revived, it should only be done if that character is absolutely necessary to the progression of the story as a whole.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Pfffttt. I survived a Dark Disaster read. Other people can survive a lack of enjoyment of fan-service character inserts.

Unless I have a healthier liver. :D

Jedi Ben and Pfluegermeister like this.
  6. TheyMightBeGeeks

TheyMightBeGeeks Jedi Padawan star 2

Jul 23, 2015
    Well look what I found a few days early.
    [​IMG]

Revanfan1 and Jedi Daniel like this.
  7. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015

[:D]Welcome to the club!

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  8. TheyMightBeGeeks

TheyMightBeGeeks Jedi Padawan star 2

Jul 23, 2015
    Was this posted already? I skimmed the last couple pages and didn't see it.

9. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I think the storytelling is too long, too wide, and too deep for this kind of thinking. Star Wars' universe was huge, once, and I'm sure it's going to quickly become huge again. A lot of characters, locations, and events won't have much effect at all on "the story as a whole."

10. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    "The story as a whole " is always relevant. When you get so far removed from the characters of the movies, it may not affect the movie story, but there is a story being told. In such a story, reviving a movie character would be even more awkward. It would be extremely unlikely for such a revival to further that story. Why revive Boba Fett for a story about a Smuggler in the Post ROTJ world? That character may be chased by a bounty hunter, but they'd have no connection with Boba, so reviving him would be pointless. Any bounty hunter would do. Boba's story is in the movies and his story arc ended with his death. A revival for a story that's disconnected from the movies, would be done solely for the cool factor, which is not a good reason.creating someone else is just as easy. I'm addition, a new character would make the universe feel bigger.

11. dragonpiece

dragonpiece Jedi Knight

Aug 4, 2014
    I found that and every other JTFA novel that comes out at my college book store earlier today. Doesn't feel so special when it appears to have been sold everywhere early :p

12. JediMasterJessica

JediMasterJessica Jedi Master star 3

Jul 26, 2005

I think it's leaking so bad because books traditionally come out on a Tuesday. These places are all confused. I had it in my hands today but Target wouldn't sell to me, oh well. It's coming from Amazon on Friday anyway.

13. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    Exact same thing happened with me at my local Target. Was picking up Season 1 of Star Wars Rebels on DVD today and saw Aftermath on the shelf but their computers at the check-out wouldn't let them sell it before Friday.

14. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Can we get some interesting spoilers?

I've never understood these spoiler threads where everyone is afraid to post spoilers. Are we afraid of making LFL angry and making all the authors avoid and hate us?

Got news: since NJO and Republic Commando, most of the Star Wars authors avoid us like a Jewish man of 2,000 years ago would avoid a bacon man with leprosy. Most of the authors
    hate and fear us more than a newborn Skynet hates humans. With good reason. We can stop worrying about their good graces.

Post the goods! Spoil me baby!

15. dragonpiece

dragonpiece Jedi Knight

Aug 4, 2014
    Vader dies...but the empire doesn't! BOOM

16. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Parcel person arrived today. Got my copy here in Australia :)

[​IMG]

17. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    They'd have to exist first.

18. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    So is this only a hardcover release, or does it come in paperback as well?

19. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    You were doing wine. I'm doing vodka shots, and lots of them... ;)

20. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    Oh, I think it is too, I mean look how the character is introduced:

There, staring out the window at the glowing Vulpinus Nebula, is the fleet admiral.
    His hands behind his back. Humming a little. Something classical. Something from the Old Republic days. She listens a little: the Sestina of Imperator Vex, maybe.
    "Sir," she says.
    He holds up his finger. A sign for patience. He continues humming, his head swaying, until it reaches a small crescendo. Then, without turning toward her, he lowers his finger and says: "Yes, Admiral Sloane?"

I mean, doesn't that just scream Thrawn?

21. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    Now i'm absolutely convinced it is Thrawn!!! Hope he stays for longer this time!

22. Dante1120

Dante1120 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 5, 2006
    it's [ spoiler ]
    [ /spoiler ]

23. Biel Ductavis

Aug 17, 2015
    Thank you! Have corrected it by now.

24. dragonpiece

dragonpiece Jedi Knight

Aug 4, 2014
    you still didn't fix it

25. Biel Ductavis

Aug 17, 2015
    I see a spoiler tag one my phone. I change it from SPOiL into SPOILER now to be sure!