main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books STAR WARS: AFTERMATH

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarthTalgus, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Dante1120

Dante1120 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 5, 2006
    I see a tag as well.

2. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    That spoiler makes me unsure what I want...

Part of me thinks using Thrawn would be lazy, but another part of me thinks it'd be lame to have Not-Thrawn behave like Thrawn but not actually be Thrawn, as that just says "rip off" rather than "reimagining".

And I have no problems at all with Ultimate Marvel style versions that reimagine the same character. How many versions of Peter Parker have there been...? (Or even Darth Bane!) So I don't mind seeing another depiction of Thrawn again, as I like Thrawn, and if it looks like a duck and talks like a duck, then for my part, it might as well be a duck. (And if Ulicus got confused by what a duck is, that'd just be an added bonus.)

But if they just want to remodel, say, an older Yularen to have adopted the same tropes as Thrawn... dunno. I like Yularen too, but I like him because he's his own character, not because he's an art fanatic like Thrawn, so would rather they not be merged. Likewise, Generic White Human Male Imperial Admiral #666 would also be boring if they just were Not-Thrawn, so if it wasn't Thrawn, it better have something really, really special to break from that first image.

3. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I hope it isn't Thrawn, because we all know the ultimate fate of that last Super Star Destroyer is to end up crashed upside down on the surface of Jakku. Plus Thrawn never struck me as the sort to use big ships like the Super Star Destroyer or actual massed fleets instead of small precise strikes.

4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I think it's Yularen... in Thrawn's clothes. First he stole his uniform. Then he stole his title. Now he's stealing his tunes, his refined classical Republic shtick, his military strategist claim...

[​IMG]
    I'm on to you bro. You and your little silver doggy dish.

5. Clone_Cmdr_Wedge

Clone_Cmdr_Wedge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    I think it could be Thrawn, but I'm not convinced, at least based on that passage. I don't recall Thrawn being into music as much as paintings or sculptures. On the other hand, I totally believe that it's only a matter of time until he shows up in Disney canon in some shape or form, so it very well might be him.

6. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Here's the thing, though - while I'm not a fan of the whole 'canon/Legends' thing, it seems counterproductive to make (as a prior post mentioned) essentially an 'Ultimate Thrawn'. Because you've essentially made Legends a de facto alternate universe, rather than the 'uncanon' that's being billed now if you allow that to happen, and you're also going to invite yourself to endless comparisons to the original as a result. And even if it isn't Thrawn (which I really hope it isn't), if you're telling what is basically the same story, you're still going to invite comparisons. Best just to plot a new course and tell your own story.

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  7. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Based on what he is listening to, he is clearly Grand Admiral Jello.

8. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    That, I could get behind.

I will guarantee I will buy the entire series if that were true.

9. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    So... Jello for ST villain?

10. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    The Chiss are already in canon (Commander). I wouldn't be surprised if he shows up in this series.

11. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    Maybe this time he'll stay alive for a long time. Can't help myself thinking that after Benicio del Toro's been cast for Episode VIII...

Toonimator and Tzizvvt78 like this.
  12. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Not convinced it's Thrawn, but I'd be 100% okay with that. Who says the nu!Thrawn can't be into music instead of art?

13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Eventually - say in 6-9 months time.

14. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Music is art.

15. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    So this book is pretty damn boring then?

Pffft. Guess you can judge a book by its cover.

16. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    This is true.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  17. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Music is art but Thrawn has never been shown to be interested in audio art.

And it's not true that just because you're interested in one type of art you're automatically interested in all art.

Anyway, this characterization does not fit the usual Thrawn personality. He's never been so lost in art that he paused handling the business directly before him.

18. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    [Spoil] Maybe he was conceiving a strategy at this moment for the reconquest of the planet on which the species that composed this song lives.[/Spoil]

19. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Man I feel bad for all those dudes who keep clicking on this thread accidentally and read the stuff outside the spoiler boxes. First Ahsoka, then Boba Fett, now Thrawn. They'll have no inkling as to this book's plot but geez, they probably think this book's got everything and the kitchen sink in it.

20. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    The tag is "spoiler"! Not "spoil"!

The Ultimate versions worked out pretty well for Marvel. Ultimate Peter Parker was a fantastic character, and never felt like he paled in comparison to the 616 Spidey. He got a little grief over his hairdo, but hey--it was the early '00s. Kids always have dopey hairdos. Pete's hairdo in the '60s was pretty terrible, too. I think fans would love to see an Ultimate Thrawn. He'd only suffer if he were poorly written. Capture the spirit of the character--and an officer engrossed in a musical piece is fitting with the art aficionado who used his study of the arts to exploit enemy weaknesses--and fans will enjoy a new Thrawn just like they did the old one.

AdmiralWesJanson likes this.
  21. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Makes one tempted to mention San Hill just for kicks to bamboozle them even more.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  22. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Saying [ Spoil ] doesn't work. You have to use [ spoiler ]. Pretty sure this has come up several times before.

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    It is on - P versus A1983 in a contest of boozy endurance, will P be plastered? Will A1983's liver finally be annihilated?

Who will collapse first? Who will win? (Save for the bar.)

24. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    I think it only fair to warn you all that I come from a long line of Bavarian drunks... ;)

25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I don't care - I've made a deal with the bar to have a cut of the profits of all the booze you two go through!

darklordoftech likes this.