main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books STAR WARS: AFTERMATH

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarthTalgus, Mar 10, 2015.

1. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    lol where have I been with this thread

oh yeah

[​IMG]

2. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    True, but I wasn't thinking about an in-universe comparison. I was thinking more about how it was introduced story-wise, and then quickly abandoned. A physical location for the Dark Side just makes me think of Star Trek V.

Dr. Steve Brule and TheRedBlade like this.
  3. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    At least with that, even if it wasn't mentioned much again, it can still be a fact while also being ignorable.

With this, well, what you just said is what I'm afraid of. The execution better be good, if true. And even then...

4. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Hm.

I wonder if it's meant to be a sort of Garden of Eden. A place where sentience first arose and the first act of evil was committed.

5. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    or it is building up Snoke to be worse than Sidious?

Darth Caliban and darklordoftech like this.
  6. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    "Snoke" is only one letter removed from "Snake".

The serpent of the Garden of Eden is usually identified as a snake.

The serpent is often equated with Satan. Erroneously, but still.

Snoke = Satan confirmed.

7. TheyMightBeGeeks

TheyMightBeGeeks Jedi Padawan star 2

Jul 23, 2015
    Ghost likes this.
  8. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    [​IMG]

also: very sad by BBY/ABY still seeing use

9. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    Agreed. I thought they were switching to either pre/post Empire Day or pre/post Endor. Though I was under the impression that graphic is not an official image.

10. TheyMightBeGeeks

Jul 23, 2015
    You mean the one I made 2 hours ago? They are trying to not give specific years but rather give years in relation to other events. This can get very confusing very fast so I've been keeping track of everything in the traditional BBY/ABY format. It's worked very nicely. Wookieepeida has the same timespans between stories as I do but they use The Phantom Menace as year 0 (based on misunderstanding a tweet from Leland Chee and not correcting there mistake even when presented the evidence).
    DigitalMessiah why is it sad to see BBY/ABY in use?

11. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    oh I didn't catch that you made it, it looks official

I find it confusing to base a calendar around an event because then you have 0 BBY and 0 ABY which are both within a year of the event.

TheRedBlade likes this.
  12. TheyMightBeGeeks

Jul 23, 2015
    Thanks.
    How would you suggest a timeline be made? BBY/ABY worked for 20 Earth years. If you check the Star Wars Timeline link on my site that's linked in my signature you can see just how many stories there are already and there will be dozens every year so there has to be some method. I'm genuinely curious about other people's suggestions.

Also, things like Battlefront: Twilight Company are dated based on "18 months since..." but we don't know for sure that 18 months = 1.5 years. We just have to assume they aren't overcomplicating things and 18 "galactic" months is a year and a half.

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  13. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Well, if you are going to base it off the Battle of Yavin, it would work best if that day is the first day of a calendar, and eliminate "Year 0." So the year following Yavin is 1 ABY and the year preceding it is 1 BBY.

But I'm also opposed to the Battle of Yavin being the set point around the calendar because it's ultimately just a single battle in a war. Bantam used Return of the Jedi, or the Battle of Endor, and I've always thought of the Bantam stuff in those terms, e.g. Thrawn is 5 years after ROTJ, Corellia trilogy is 14, and Hand of Thrawn is 15. None of this 9, 18, and 19 stuff.

14. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    I would think the creation of the Empire would make most sense. Battle of Yavin wasn't even a pivotal event in the war it figured in.

As for the whole Dark Side thing: There is a Netherworld of the Force (ROTS) and all life passes into the Cosmic Force. The Dark Side often causes a lot of deaths in its own machinations, making itself stronger that way (Sacrifice), yet death is a natural cycle of things, bringing the Living Force into the Cosmic Force. Giving the DS more influence is just skewering the balance, not that the DS exists in and of itself.

We have two separate instances where a character feeling the influence of the DS, feels cold (Luke in ESB and Ezra in Rebels) and one where a character also feels death (Luke in ESB). These two things are antithetical to warmth and life. It makes sense on a cosmological scale that the metaphysics of the GFFA has the center of the galaxy, the center of stars, i.e. a warm, bright spot be the originator of the building blocks of the living Force, midichlorians, who communicate the will of the Force.

So if that has an antithetical counterpart, it would logically be the surrounding blackness outside the galaxy itself. No stars, no life. Maybe it's just a dead, sunless world or a metaphysical component of cosmic dark matter/dark energy that the first Sith discovered?

whostheBossk and DigitalMessiah like this.
  15. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Double post.

16. TheyMightBeGeeks

Jul 23, 2015
    Well Episode IV definitely IS used as the epoch. You can see here that Leland Chee tweeted that. So all it comes down to is how you write it out. BBY/ABY or +/- or whatever you want to use.

17. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I never had a problem with people dating events before/after ANH out-of-universe. It was when the ABY system became an in-universe thing that it bugged me.

18. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    ...and I was just about to make a post saying Palpatine's search has made me think Abrams is pulling another Khan but this time in the search for Genesis. :p

19. Darth Frog

Darth Frog Jedi Youngling

Jul 18, 2015
    Question about the writing style... did it get touched up between the July excerpt and the final book? I found the excerpt leaked in July to be almost unreadable because the odd style distracted from the content. However, I just read an excerpt of chapter 3 posted on USA Today for Force Friday and found it enjoyable and much smoother to read. Its still written in third person present of course but the difference seems to be that the current excerpt uses complete sentences more often than not. Would someone who has the book be so kind as to briefly glance at the July excerpt to see if it matches how the book reads now? It will make the difference as to whether I buy the book or not.

20. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004

I was actually coming here to complain about the writing style. I found the leaked excerpt-yes it matches perfectly.

Some of the writing is smooth but at other times, the sentence structure is choppy. There are also parenthetical thoughts that are insanely unnecessary, are distracting, and would be just as fine as italicized thoughts or just a continuation of the text.

The content is really good. Actually *thinks about it* It's decent. Each chapter is a new character and it jumps around. I'm on page 121 and still not certain about why the planet is so important. I'm expecting it to get better but I'm 1/3 though, holy cow.

I'm still going to say read it, because I have a feeling I'll figure things out eventually. But get it from the library, if yours carries it.

21. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    whostheBossk and Ghost like this.
  22. JediMasterAang

JediMasterAang Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 12, 2015
    It's pretty similar to the excerpt, but I've found that the writing style can be gotten used to. I'd recommend it, it's good so far.

23. Dante1120

Dante1120 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 5, 2006
    It was a bit rocky at first, but I'm about 30% in and I've generally gotten used to it.

24. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Reading. I have never managed to read more than two pages of any SW book due to my poor concentration; so this will be interesting.

25. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    News from the front lines.

The already mentioned inclusion of the rioting on Coruscant per Allston's X-Wing novels. Broken is clock right twice a day.

The discussion between the father and son about how all of this is one long war without end recalls Boba telling Jaina about his POV on the millenia long Jedi/Sith urinating contest in Revelation, minus the beskar condom. Scene is a little on the nose, but I dig it.

"Smugglers, she thinks.
    "Well, she paid for the ticket.
    "Time to take the ride."

Chuck quoted Hunter S. Thompson in a Star Wars book. Glad to see someone literate writing. Old EU What?

Tzizvvt78 likes this.