main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books STAR WARS: AFTERMATH

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarthTalgus, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Nonetheless it's a shame that the image suggests a reversal of the past decade:

2005-2014: Lots of prequel riffing
    2014-2015: Sudden 180-degree flip to OT-riffing.

What I'd hoped was going to happen after ROTS is we'd get stories that drew on all 6 films aspects and elements, but it rarely happens. Only in KOTOR and the Legacy comics do I see a mix of the 6 films, in new combinations, when there should be more examples.

2. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Authors? Being creative?!

What rock are you living under Jedi Ben???

(Because I want to come crawl under it with you, as as it sounds like a good place.)

3. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Rock? Well, I suppose it'd have to be....

[​IMG]

Oh and don't bring any doozers with you, got enough of those little building bastards as it is!

Lazy K, Gorefiend, Zorrixor and 5 others like this.
  4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I find this to be a bit of a tempest in a kettle, but I will point out that it is entirely possible for this generational fan divide to be civil. PT-fans have had their way for a solid decade and a half. Now the pendulum is swinging back to the OT -- let us have our day in the sun too, eh?

Yeah, some people will say that you're silly if the PT brought you to Star Wars. But you'll note that "faux superiority" is rarely serious. And in any event, Wendig having a nuanced and non-adulatory view of the PT doesn't make him one of the "haters."

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Yeah, at least with Whitta (or Kieron Gillen, IIRC) there was a real record of them saying nasty stuff about it. The Wendig thing is about as innocuous as criticism gets.

Zorrixor and Riv_Shiel like this.
  6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    There hasn't even been a true OT era tv series yet. Droids was Dark Times era and Ewoks was just about the Ewoks. 2 clone wars series and a Dark Times series. More than enough time has been spent in the era. Spread the wealth around before the era gets stale. Which it has imo.

7. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I can't speak for other people, but I don't want for there to be just PT stuff or just OT stuff. I want both. I was critical of the PT era of the last decade for not having enough OT content and now that the pendulum is swinging the other way its just as annoying.

cdgodin, Zorrixor, spicer and 7 others like this.
  8. Cheerios4u98

Cheerios4u98 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 4, 2015

I agree. We need a good mix. The Clone Wars book that's coming out is a step in the right direction.

Darkslayer likes this.
  9. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    It'd be neat if an author could, y'know, not like the prequels personally but also see merit in drawing from them.

Darkslayer and darklordoftech like this.
  10. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    Only realized it was ironic I was signed to Aftermath after the fact.

smoothkaz likes this.
  11. StarLorrd

StarLorrd Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 18, 2014
    wut?

how

12. Hamawald

Hamawald Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 14, 2014

Because it is not OT era, what else could it be?

Cheerios4u98 likes this.
  13. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    It may be more of a step in the wrong direction if the rumblings are true about a romance between two characters that should not be having a romance together.

cdgodin, WMIRTUTSF, Zorrixor and 3 others like this.
  14. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    It's no wonder the Jedi Order fell. Every single one of them was secretly in love with someone. That's got to be a little distracting.

Riv_Shiel, cdgodin, Revanfan1 and 8 others like this.
  15. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Weird, I've never thought of Droids as a "Dark Times" series before...I mean, chronologically it is, of course, I get that, but it feels odd wrapping my brain around that. I've just never associated Droids with the Dark Times.

16. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008

why not?

17. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    your right, absolutely. But my problem is that some things to me are so hallowed, that to not like it, seems blasphemous.

18. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    That is a problem.

cdgodin, Lando Swarm, Vthuil and 2 others like this.
  19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    It is when Old-Testament-style Thou-Shalt-Worship-Only-Me-Or-I-Nuke-Your-Country-Into-Next-Week God* smites JM for his perfidious attempt to place SW on the same level!

* Think Vader's Never-Suffer-Rivals attitude to the nth degree.

20. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Yaddle for Sequel Trilogy villain?

Clearly, she'd deliberately been leading Yoda on for centuries to make him angry, hence why he decided to prohibit all relationships out of spite, leading to the future meltdown of the order- all going perfectly according to Yaddle's dark plan.

It makes perfect sense.

TK-421 Is vader likes this.
  21. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005

Being critical is not being disrespectful.

If you create a work of any kind you are open to criticism. Lucas himself seems to be able to take it.

Cynical_Ben likes this.
  22. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    You know, it occurs to me that this may be the first true "NEU" novel. All of the other books we've had since the Legends decision were being worked on in one form or another before then, but this novel wasn't. All of the others, AND, Tarkin, HttJ, LotS, even the Frankenstein-esque amalgamation of Christie Golden and TCW that is Dark Disciple, are a few minor changes and editing bits away from sliding right into Legends. This will be the first book conceived from the ground up as a part of the new canon, and likely the first book that irrevocably differentiates the "new" canon from the old.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Unless Vader and the Emperor die in LOTS. I mean you never know.

:p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Zorrixor, Gorefiend, Hamawald and 7 others like this.
  24. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    A lot depends how far beyond Ep6 the story goes really. I mean, some Imperial factions playing up, and the Rebel Alliance beating them down... it could end up still feeling no more unusual than, say, something like Shadows of Mindor.

I mean, there's no NJO right after Endor, Han and Leia don't get together the day after, so... Aftermath either needs to cover a few years to get to a point where the EU really started spelling anything out, or something major has to take place in it- like the Rebellion capturing Coruscant shortly after ROTJ, or Ackbar having died in a brawl with an Ewok before the party was over, or something.

That's what's holding me back from getting my hopes up too much for it showing us "what the NEU will look like" as it could still stick close to Ep6 and not get that far to do anything majorly distant to the EU yet.

Revanfan1, Abadacus and Jedi Ben like this.
  25. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    What if the Rebels don't win this trilogy?