main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books STAR WARS: AFTERMATH

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarthTalgus, Mar 10, 2015.

1. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    You know there really isn't anything special about this title. For those that have followed the EU, you already know that the Empire doesn't completely crumble, now, you just get a new despot that takes over. No different than Thrawn or the reborn Emperor, except maybe that the stories now are more canon, and whom the new despot is. But its all the same, nothing new.

Red23 and Darth_Foo like this.
  2. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Jello's not wrong, though: the old EU handled the aftermath of Endor (as with many other things) in a fairly haphazard fashion. It really wasn't until TEGTW that we got a full epic-scope treatment of the post-ROTJ GCW. There's no guarantee that Aftermath will do that, but if it does, that'll be something new.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    You know how to redo the post ROTJ era but make it much cooler? Gungan murder. Lots.

4. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Man, following up the Ewok deaths in Episode VI with a bunch of Gungan deaths immediately afterward? Brutal.:p

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  5. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Why not go all the way and just canonize the Endor Holocaust this time? Saxtonites and teddy bear haters across the world will thank you for it, Mr. Wendig!!

ATimson likes this.
  6. Joe Kalicki

Joe Kalicki Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 2, 2014

It certainly feels different and special. I'm no less excited because I read a different version of the story before.

JoeBiWanKenobi likes this.
  7. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Over/under on Aftermath showing a battle above Jakku (resulting in those crashed ships)?

Dak Oolron, CooperTFN and Taalcon like this.
  8. Mmmmm Napalm

Mmmmm Napalm Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 6, 2014
    I'm getting an almost theocratic feel from the "First Order", which is further amplified by it's name. Take this screenshot for example:

[​IMG]

The number of robed figures in the background. The red banner with the First Order's insignia. I'm getting a sort of Sith theocracy vibe from all of this. It's difficult to explain.

If my speculation is somewhat accurate, perhaps Aftermath will help explain how the Galactic Empire morphs into such an entity? Perhaps this Kylo Ren guy may have reunited the various factions the Empire might split into in material set post-ROTJ, but is more focused on reconnecting with the Sith legacy and reestablishing them and their rule. As a result, the Empire has become somewhat theocratic, and Kylo Ren's, and by extension the Order's, goal is to recover Sith artifacts, such as Vader's helmet, and in their eyes reclaim the Sith legacy and restore their rule.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  9. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008

[​IMG]

Rebel_Loyaltist likes this.
  10. DoubleSith

DoubleSith Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 5, 2002
    [​IMG]

Yes. BB-8 all the time. #BB8

11. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013

So basically, Sith all over again. Quite original.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  12. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I get the impression that Kylo Ren is not the leadership considering he's leading the troops Vader style.

I just hope he's not a Sith groupie and has deeper motivation than that.

13. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005

...but Vader's in the leadership when he's leading troops Vader style.

The Loyal Imperial and Riv_Shiel like this.
  14. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Kylo Ren is just one inquisitor.

Who I'm guessing has a special relationship with Rey.

15. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I meant political leadership. Obviously by leading soldiers he's a military leader. :p but Vader wasn't making policy.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  16. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  17. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Yeah I saw speculation that one of them was Kylo Ren. Maybe.

Edit: to clarify I mean the trailer guys not the others

18. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015

You think that might be Uber in the center of the platform back there? ;)

19. Havoc123

Jun 26, 2013

Who? I didn't get the reference.

20. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    We had the Thrawn Trilogy & Dark Empire. Both got tied together in the Dark Empire source book in a little under two years, like a month after The Last Command hit shelves.

Then more story kept getting added as years went by.

I don't think any one novel could possibly bind everything together without the knowledge of everything due to come out over the next XX amount of years. If it is meant to, or is forced to, then they will be doing the exact same creative stifling of the authors that was the reason they got rid of the former EU from canon in the first place.

Dr. Steve Brule and Abadacus like this.
  21. Havoc123

Jun 26, 2013
    Actually, they got rid of the EU because they were too lazy to make up their own period, or their own characters, and wanted to just rehash everything despite SW being a vast universe.

Dr. Steve Brule and Abadacus like this.
  22. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015

Andy Serkis's character.

23. JediFett10

JediFett10 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 8, 2008
    Sorry, but didn't mean to post (damn mobile) :(

Sent from my C1905 using Tapatalk

24. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    But I want Struzan!

Anyway, lol PT discussion I missed. Wendig's take was right on, so I'll be interested to see what he does with the saga. That was one of the core problems with the PT, that Anakinwas this hero who fell and became corrupted and twisted, bit there was still some remnant in him of the good person he used to be. But the prequels come around, AOTC and ROTS hit, and . . . Luke's dad was never a good person to begin with. He was on the side of the good guys, but that's not the same thing. It mucks up the whole mythic arc. The problem isn't that Darth Vader killed kids, it's that Anakin was a guy who could be told, "Your wife is maybe going to die, and maybe I'll help, so go massacre every single person you've ever known and murder some kids," and he just goes and does it.

25. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    So the Battle of Jakku is being covered in Battlefront DLC, being released 2 weeks before TFA. Chances this battle will also be featured in Aftermath? Oh man, that would be cool.
    [​IMG]

Revanfan1 and Dak Oolron like this.