main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Star Wars and 2015 SDCC

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Dewback, Feb 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SkywalkerOG

SkywalkerOG Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 19, 2014
    Was wondering when TPM trailer was released were people amazed by the way the film looked or already complaining about the CGI?

Because people are already claiming TFA looks great with what 2 minutes of footage?

2. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Amazed.

TX-20 likes this.
  3. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I wasn't crazy about the CGI in the TPM trailer, but I was happy to see a Star Wars film back in theaters.

The enthusiasm was off the charts and that's what I got swept up in. Star Wars has a tendency to make people awe-struck. :)

4. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    People were really thrilled with it. I think the majority of those who weren't thrilled with the film itself will admit that the trailer was amazing.

TX-20 likes this.
  5. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Both TPM trailers were very highly regarded and were considered amazing. It wasn't so much the CGI itself but rather the intensity of the action and color.

It is safe to say that the thing that made the Celebration teaser for TFA so great had nothing to do with how much or little CGI there was. It was just a very well put together teaser. Nobody's going to watch the full length trailer thinking "wow, look all of those wonderful practical effects". They are going to be looking for action and the feeling it delivers which comes from the feel of the movie, not the way the effects were done.

6. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002

I loved the trailer for TPM, and actually minus the Podracing stuff it's the best film of the PT.

7. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm still amazed by the TPM trailer.

8. DarthAhem

DarthAhem Jedi Master star 1

May 6, 2014
    That's a great question. I remember a lot of excitement.

9. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    IIRC, the teaser blew people away just by being SW, but the March '99 trailer had great visuals that were unparalleled at the time. The destroyer droids unfolding, for example, were an amazing sight.

10. Knightstalker137

Knightstalker137 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 17, 2003
    Yeah TPM trailer release was probably the biggest trailer event in cinema history, and it was really amazing. I never gave two hoots about the cgi, I just loved seeing a trailer for a new Star Wars film.

11. SkywalkerOG

Sep 19, 2014
    My point was everybody thought TPM looked amazing and now most complain about CGI in it I'm just saying most teaser/trailers look amazing.

12. Knightstalker137

Knightstalker137 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 17, 2003
    I think the fact is that CGI has become a buzzword for people that didn't like the prequels. I'm not the biggest prequel fan either, but my reasons had nothing to do with CGI. JJ can use all the practical effects he wants, but ultimately if the story is lacking, then all the rubber creatures and real sets in the world won't save him.
    But at this point, like TPM after that first glorious trailer, I have very high hopes for TFA.

13. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    but there was a ton of CGI In TPM trailer, not so much CGI In TFA Trailer, and I have no problem with CGI I loved the Prequels !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. SkywalkerOG

Sep 19, 2014
    Teaser/trailers don't sell me

15. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Here's what I know:
    • Visually, TFA looks great from the teasers, concept art, etc. that I've seen, and IMHO closer to the OT aesthetic
    • Story-wise, everything I've heard excites me
    • Interviews with Abrams and Kasdan give me hope
    If the execution is strong, I'm almost certain I'll love it.
    OTOH, in the lead-up to TPM, while it visually looked amazing, the aesthetic did little for me personally. Story-wise, TPM did not interest me, either. Really, I was interested in TPM as a spectacle with ties to the OT, and I was hoping the execution could win me over on the rest. IOW, I may be unusual but I was not going out of my mind in May '99 just because of a couple of cool trailers.
    TFA already seems much more like my kind of film.

TX-20, TK327 and vinsanity like this.
  16. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Luke's/Anakin's sabre returning is still the thorn in my side. This better have a good explanation.

Knightstalker137 likes this.
  17. w4tkn

w4tkn Jedi Master star 1

Jan 25, 2013
  18. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    That's the one thing that gets a raised eyebrow from me. If it's handled right, I'll be OK with it, and I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt for now.

19. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Well it's a pretty darn big thorn since it allegedly begins the movie. It's hard to try and describe the plot of the movie and begin with "a lightsaber is floating in space" and proceed to take it seriously unless has a pretty awesome context and rationale. If it is, as some have suggested, a "McGuffin" that doesn't really have a purpose overall, then you've essentially thrown away the entire first 3rd to half of the movie. Not good business.

20. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    It doesn't matter what explanation they give as long as it gets the audience over the hurdle of their scepticism.

As an example, have a character profess scepticism ("You're telling a 30 year old lightsaber just happened to land here? Come on...", echoing the audience's thoughts. Then have a mystical type, Maz or Luke, say, talk about the Force in hushed tones. Maybe have Luke at the end say "I had a vision of this saber returning to me. The Force always finds a way..." Easy.

DaddlerTheDalek and TK327 like this.
  21. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    That's true but the very nature of the lightsaber floating in space, ESPECIALLY the Bespin one would need a great explanation in order for it to get the audience over that hurdle. Your idea of a character expressing disbelief is a good scenario because it reflects the audience's opinions. That's always a good move in story telling. The idea of the Force being so powerful that it brings people to other people and/or things adds a level of supernatural mythology to it. But the bad guys want it too. So the lightsaber likely has something else to it.

22. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014
    I think it could be explained easily. If the planet it falls to is indeed the surface of bespin, sometime picks it up, sells it to an artifact dealer or whatever and now it's in circulation. Kinda like the one ring or alladin's lamp. Some people say they want to see more mythological motifs in star wars

23. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Yeah, I'm really hoping the Bespin surface angle is used, if only because it'd be cool to have that part of the EU turned on its head. But I think there's any number of ways the Bespin saber could work. As a bare idea on paper it sounds a little silly, but that's very different to how it could play out on film.

24. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002

The force.... uh.... finds a way...

[​IMG]

25. Xinau

Xinau Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2015
    Exactly. If Luke can grab it out of the snow pack a few feet away in the Wampa cave, what's a few thousand light years?

I'm sure someone else has thought of this, but you don't have to stretch credibility too far to put the light saber in space, right? Saber falls down shaft, ends up in refuse/debris collection trap on Bespin. More valuable items are sorted from the refuse and end up on some sort of junk hauler. Some type of event -- battle, accident, who knows -- causes the junk haul to be scattered into space near ... I dunno, wherever it's supposed to be.

You just need to concoct a credible explanation to get it out of the debris trap on Bespin and over the passage of time eventually onto a space vessel near ... wherever. Then something exciting happens, the junk hauls is scattered into space, the saber along with it...

There's probably some spoiler out there that I don't want to know that makes that scenario impossible, I'm sure. If so, don't tell me. :)

Artoo-Dion likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.