main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars and anime

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Jedi_Master_Allya, Jul 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Master_Allya

Jedi_Master_Allya Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 17, 2000
    I've been wondering about this, as it seems that few Star Wars fans like anime too. I was wondering if there was something wrong with being an Otaku as well as a Star Wars fan. I know Star Wars is pretty popular in Japan, especially in the Science Fiction circles where anime is most prevalent. I mean, there are many similiar themes in Star Wars and anime, like the dogfights in Gundam and Macross, or the young person finding out they have supernatral powers, like in Card Captor Sakura, or Tenchi Muyo!.
    Anyway, I was just wondering if I was the only fan of both Star Wars and anime.

2. NerdyNathan

NerdyNathan Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 22, 2001
    Yeah, I'm a pretty good anime fan. It is true, many elements are similar. Galaxy-wide wars, supernatural powers, huge spaceships, planet destroying weapons...very exciting! :)

3. Jedi_Master_Allya

Nov 17, 2000
    Wow! It's nice to know that at least one other person likes anime! Do you like Gundam Wing?

4. duo

duo Jedi Youngling

May 11, 2001
    Nope, you're not alone. I'm a very big fan of both Star Wars and anime. :D

5. NerdyNathan

Apr 22, 2001
    Sure, Gundam Wing is pretty cool! It's the first series I really got interested in, when it aired on Cartoon Network. Right now, I'm into Neon Genesis Evangelion. (I'm getting the whole series on DVD, and I can't wait to see the movies.)

I'm thinking of getting the Cowboy Bebop DVDs. Do you know if it's any good? I heard the music and loved it! It sounds like a lot of fun...

6. Redwing

Redwing Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 22, 2001
    Yep, anime is cool. Star Wars is cooler though. ;)

7. Jedi_Master_Allya

Nov 17, 2000
    Cowboy Bebop is supposed to be really good, but I haven't seen it yet. Most of my anime are tapes mooched off my friends, and they're all fantasy fans. They do have some pretty good series, like Fushigi Yuugi, Princess Mononoke, and Magic Knight Rayearth, but my circle doesn't have much for a fan of science fiction and bloody war anime. The Science Fiction is left up to me, like I've got all of Outlaw Star, Gundam Wing, and Tenchi Universe on tape. (Okay, so it's the cut, but I'm saving all my money for the next anime con) But I've also got Endless Waltz and Tenchi Muyo in Love on DVD.
    I've seen the first 2 episodes of Evangelion, and really liked it. After all, bloody sci-fi. A good bloody sci-fi manga is Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind. while it's more than that, it still has everything I like. It's also got a movie, but the dub is awful. It was made by the same person who made Princess Mononoke, so it's obviously good.

8. Jedi_Master_Allya

Nov 17, 2000
    Just wondering, has anyone here heard of Shinesman?

9. NerdyNathan

Apr 22, 2001
    Can't say I have.

10. Jedi_Master_Allya

Nov 17, 2000
    I haven't seen it, but it's a really funny Power Rangers spoof.

11. Yun-Yuuzhan

Yun-Yuuzhan Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 9, 2001
    I only like Princess Mononoke as far as anime.

12. Jedi_Master_Allya

Nov 17, 2000
    That's a great movie. You might like Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind though. If you read the manga read the perfect collection: Issues 1-4. If you watch the movie, get the subtitled...

13. LordMoltar

LordMoltar Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 25, 2001
    First off, "Shinesman" has to be one of the FUNNIEST Anime features I have seen to date. Secondly, I too split my interests between "Star Wars" and Anime. Some of my favorite series and/or features are "Neon Genesis Evangelion", "Record of Lodoss Wars", "Iria: Zeiram the Anime", and for a feature film, "X: The Movie" is pretty danged good. Of course, this is just a partial list, since to list all of my personal favorites would probably bore anyone here to death.

14. Endermunkee

Endermunkee Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2000
    I haven't seen much anime, but my favorite right now is the Kenshin OVA. That is so gorgeous.

15. Jedi_Master_Allya

Nov 17, 2000
    Kenshin is great! And I'd like to hear everyone's favorites, because I've only been into anime for about a year now, and while I know tons of titles, I haven't been able to see half as much as I'd like. Has anyone seen Princess Rouge, The Last Labyrinth? One of my friends has a copy, and I want to know if it's any good before I borrow it.

16. LordMoltar

LordMoltar Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 25, 2001
    Is "Princess Rouge" the series that's supposed to be set during the French Revolution?

17. CorranHalcyon

CorranHalcyon Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2000
    Has anyone seen Spriggan?

18. Jedi_Master_Allya

Nov 17, 2000
    Spriggan sounds familiar, but I've never seen it... has anyone else seen Otaku no Video? Or know where I can find Uresei Yatsura manga?

19. Xrazir

Xrazir Jedi Youngling star 2

May 13, 2001
    No, I haven't seen it on video. A lot of Star Wars fans do like anime, though.

-Xrazir

20. Barbara Fett

Barbara Fett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 23, 1999
    "Otaku no Video" sounds cool. Tell me more!

21. Jedi_Master_Allya

Nov 17, 2000
    Otaku no Video shows the progression of a normal person into an Otaku. It's really funny, and has pretty good animation, and tons of references to other animes, like Lupin III, Macross, Mobile Suit Gundam, Uresei Yatsura, ect.
    It's also shot through with staged interviews that are supposed to be with real life Otakus, like the science fiction, the tape people, the war gamers, the hentai, even a cell theif. It's quite amusing, and a must-watch for Otaku.
    You might also want to use the pause button to try and catch extra anime references. Also, to translate some Japanese writing:
    The dojinshi stand is named 'White Base'... and Tanaka is dressed as Char Aznable. :D
    Get the subtitled.

22. Albion

Albion Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 18, 2000
    Someone here asked about Cowboy Bebop?

VERY COOL!

It's kind of a hard one to pin down because you've got elements from standard sci-fi movies, but also thing things straight out of a Jon Woo film or a gangster movie. But it's all in all rather fun. I've got only six episodes in total, but I've seen most of the series. I really do recommend it for anyone whose a fan of the action-genre.

Spriggan... seen the first two episodes with no subtitles, and own one of the adapted and translated manga, called 'Striker: The Armored Warrior'.

Star Wars and anime very much run side-by-side because they are both essentially all about emotion and drama. About people in a world who have been given the singular gift of being able to affect change, and the results of their efforts.

A Side Note... for people who are sci-fi nuts, and love anime, go pick up Martian Successor Nadesico. It's got lovely artwork, a good plot, and it doesn't take itself seriously at all. Thye main character is the BIG ROBOT PILOT... but really just wants to be the ship's cook. The captain of the Nadesico is about as bubble-headed as Sailor Moon when it comes to life, but is a tactical savant. The rest of the cast are just as weird, up to and including their 'Mad Engineer'

This is not a blatant ad... this is just a recommendation from a sci-fi anime nut.

23. Darth_Dolza

Darth_Dolza Jedi Master star 5

Sep 19, 2000
    I'm a big anime fan, as you might be able to tell from my screen name.

Cowboy Bebop is really good. I'm halfway through it and I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

24. Jedi_Master_Allya

Nov 17, 2000
    Oh, I wish I could get Cowboy Bebop! Oh well, I'm getting a job down the road from a Blockbuster with a huge anime selection, including all of Slayers, and all of Record of Lodoss War subtitled! It also has some Ranma 1/2, which as you can see from my sig, is one of my favorites.
    And thanks for telling me what Martian Successor Nadesico is about. I've been wondering...
    Has anyone seen Uresei Yatsura? I only saw a clip from the first episode, so I'm wondering if the rest of the series is better.

25. Albion

Albion Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 18, 2000
    Haven't seen any of Urusei Yatsura except for manga at Barnes and Noble, sorry.

Actually right now, I'm building up the courage to watch Lain, which is supposed to be really cool, but also very trippy.

IMHO... Top 10 Best Space Anime OAV/Series EVER!

1. Macross Plus
    2. Gall Force
    3. Cowboy Bebop
    4. Martian Successor
    5. Gundam: 0083 Stardust Memories
    6. Macross (aka Robotech)
    7. Space Battleship Yamato (aka Starblazers)
    8. Outlaw Star
    9. Maps

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.