main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star wars and Chinese kung-fu epics

Discussion in 'Archive: China' started by kevinqi, Feb 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevinqi

kevinqi Jedi Youngling

Feb 5, 2006
    I have seen Star wars several months ago. I found there was some sameness as kung-fu epics. I haven¡¯t read the books of Star wars because we can¡¯t borrow them in my university¡¯s library or buy them in bookstores. At least, I haven¡¯t found them in China.

First, the Force in Star wars is as powerful as Internal Force in Chinese kung-fu epics. Master Yoda can pull the ship from a river by Force. In kung-fu epics, Zhang Wuji can collect lots arrows together by Internal Force and do not touch them.

Second, they both pay tributes to a hero. In Star wars, Luke is a hero because he saved the galaxy. At last, Luke and his girlfriend found a place to live together and did not like to fight again. In kung-fu epics, almost all of stories have the same ends. A hero is very very powerful and he (or she) saved the kindly people. Linghu Chong, Zhang Wuji and other heroes are the same as Luke.

Third, Jedis can appear as another form after death. In kung-fu epics, Xu Ziling and Nie Feng can relive like Jesus. They all appeared again.

Last, the weapons are nearly the same. Lightsaber likes an aeriform sword of Duan Yu. I do not know how to translate this sword. Maybe we can call it SPSS (six pulses supernatural sword). ^_^ And SPSS is better than Lightsaber because Jedi can lost his Lightsaber sometimes. But SPSS can not be lost because SPSS is made of air!

This is just my opinion. what do you think?:rolleyes:

2. CatherineSkywalker

CatherineSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2004
    Quite pequliar to see such names and things here....

At least they have got something alike:self-defence, to save/serve others, etc.
    perhaps kongfu movies a little more agressive

PS,Welcome here!

3. Django211

Django211 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 6, 1999
    I always thought that ESB was very similar to gung fu films:

Student's master is killed by powerful villain
    Student trains under the more powerful master that trained his sifu
    Master teaches student more than just fighting
    Student fights villain but isn't ready and loses
    Student recovers, fights villain again and defeats him

4. kevinqi

kevinqi Jedi Youngling

Feb 5, 2006
    Yes, my two friends.
    I think Star wars are popular in our country...But just a few Chinese like this Forum...Why?
    I hope the translators can translate much more kungfu novels into English in the near future...

5. Skywalker1984

Skywalker1984 Jedi Youngling

Jul 7, 2005
    I don't think a Jedi knight can lose his lightsaber,cause master Obi once told Anakin:"This weapon is your life."That means if you lost it,you're doomed.

6. kevinqi

kevinqi Jedi Youngling

Feb 5, 2006
    of cause the weapon is your life. But actually, Obi or Skywalker have lost their lightsabers.

7. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    This sounds like a good fanfic idea.

8. CatherineSkywalker

CatherineSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2004
    Just bacause many don't used to type English, and we have other places.
    When this board was founded many had come, but afterwards they went back. You may find something in that introduction. And also you can visit www.starwarschina.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.