main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars and Christianity

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Obi-wan-Damion, Oct 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Delance

Delance Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 15, 2002
    Again, I disagree with the assessment that the Force is simultaneously good and bad: I think the Dark Side of the Force is a corruption of what it ought to be.

Who decides what it ought to be?

If the force has a will, it indeed allows the Sith to use it's dark side. Remember, it is the Dark Side of the Force who control the Sith's destiny. Not the other way around. Corruption or not, it's a natural part of the force, not something the Sith made up.

In fact, the dark side was already present in Anakin much before any Sith Lord even tried to train him.

Yoda talks of the dark side on TPM as a natural consequence of human emotions, not as a corrption created by men.

EDIT: Added a comment.

2. Plo_Koen

Plo_Koen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    Obviously the midis had to create the other half of the DNA code, or do you have a better explaination other than "an incident of carnal desires, unusual implements and poor personal hygiene."* ?

8-}

(* quoted from SomeRandomNerd)

edit: and I didn't say the Force is both good and bad, I said it was neither.

3. razorsaces

razorsaces Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 10, 2002
    Personally, from what we've seen, I think the Light and Dark Sides are more of a concept of the mind instead of a true divide. It's the concept of absolute power corrupts absolutely rather than the Dark Side actually having mental grip on it's victims. People have flexible moral systems. If a person crosses a moral line, their morals change to accept this change.

In vader's case, I imagine he decided that evil was "ok" for the common good that he talks about in AOTC. You'll notice that Vader never just randomly kills people, he only kills "traitors" and the "defective".

It's like drugs. You can be an ex-drug user but you will always be an drug addict. That's why the Dark Side "will forever dominate your destiny" once you start using it.

4. Plo_Koen

May 23, 2001
    That's basically the way I see it too...

Anakin was the chosen one, but he was free to choose his own path towards his destiny.

5. Delance

Oct 15, 2002
    So that's why they had the "Just say no to the dark side" logo on wall when Yoda was teaching the Younglins!

No, wait... They didn't.

6. Plo_Koen

May 23, 2001
    No, it said: "Take no effort, your fate is sealed."

[face_plain]

7. razorsaces

razorsaces Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 10, 2002
    "Why me worry?"

8. Delance

Oct 15, 2002
    Not a drug the dark side is.

9. Plo_Koen

May 23, 2001
    Not a drug the Force is, I would say, there are no sides to me.

But it can be like a drug.

10. ewokalley

ewokalley Jedi Youngling

Nov 7, 2002
    You are bye bye

11. Plo_Koen

May 23, 2001
    No need to get upset, buddy. ;)

12. theBaumer

theBaumer Jedi Youngling

Nov 8, 2002
  13. DeJade_Vu

DeJade_Vu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2002

Aw. I'm going to pray for you. 8-}

Hey, that guy behind the podium knows a lot, buddy. You can't always trust people to get their own meaning from the Bible...some take it too literally. Like when Christ said, "If your hand is causing you to sin, cut if off, and cast it away from you." Christ meant to show how serious sins can be, but one guy actually DID cut his hand off.

I'm a devout Catholic but I certainly don't going around preaching to people about how to saved!!! Excuuuuuuse ME!!! I hate it when people do it to me; it annoys me. It's like, "why don't you preach to the people who really need it?" I haven't heard anyone on this thread who has done any of that sort of preaching, either. And is it so bad to compare earth religion to the force religion in SW, and to discuss it? I don't think so.

14. Plo_Koen

May 23, 2001
    I think you have me mixed up with someone else... [face_plain]

15. Delance

Oct 15, 2002
    DeJade_Vu

You can't always trust people to get their own meaning from the Bible...some take it too literally. Like when Christ said, "If your hand is causing you to sin, cut if off, and cast it away from you." Christ meant to show how serious sins can be, but one guy actually DID cut his hand off.

As a catholic myself, I completely agree with you here.

And is it so bad to compare earth religion to the force religion in SW, and to discuss it? I don't think so.

There are obvious references with Earths religions. There are also references about Mythologies and Architecture. Actually, Star Wars is all about such references.

It's very cool, with some exceptions.

What I don't like is the specific point of "Star Wars people know about Christianity" thing that was going on this thread.

16. DeJade_Vu

Jul 29, 2002

Hmm...I've never seen that point come up in this thread. To me it looked more like people were arguing whether or not there was actually a kind of spirituality in SW.

There are obvious references with Earths religions. There are also references about Mythologies and Architecture. Actually, Star Wars is all about such references.

Yeah. The references ARE why we can compare the force religion to earth religions. I went to the "Magic of Myth" SW exhibit, which was at an art museum close to me (and omigosh I nearly passed out) and they showed all the mythical references in SW. Some that I would never have even thought of. It was awesome.

17. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    I've gotten rid of the worst of the fmailing in here, so don't dwell anymore on it. :) Keep the discussion going.

18. lightknight

lightknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2001
    Excuse me; I've been away for a long time and I'm amazed to see how this thread has developed.I'll take some time to read all the comments done before,OK?

BTW, thanks,Delance, for 'editing' your words. ;)

19. lightknight

lightknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2001
    Aaargh!! I'm a thread killer!

20. DeJade_Vu

Jul 29, 2002

[face_laugh] I think I've heard that somewhere before...

Thanks, Editor. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.