main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars and in-universe music (or lack thereof)

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Ancallibre, Jan 3, 2016.

?

Would you like to see more in universe music?

1. Yes

38.9%
  2. No

38.9%
  3. Yes (If there was no English or other real language)

22.2%
  1. Ancallibre

Ancallibre Jedi Youngling

Dec 31, 2015
    After recently watching all seven films, The Clone Wars, and Rebels up till now I realized that you never really get to hear in universe music. One would think that with all the multitudes of species, cultures, and languages you'd get some form of singing or just music in general from them. Though that seems very nonexistent.

The ones we do have are:
    • Bith cantina band
    • Max Rebo band
    • The Mon Calamari Opera music (Opera Scene in ROTS)
    • The band at Maz's Castle
    • The Ewoks singing at the end of RotJ
    • tidbits of music throughout The Clone Wars series (Beginning of the Rookies episode and background music in cantinas and/or clubs)
    So, Star Wars seems to be a very silent galaxy. It makes me wonder if they'll expand on the in universe music in future content. I wouldn't even mind if some of the music was in English(er.. Aurabesh)

I had the thought that if someday they do actually make that live action Star Wars: Underworld show if they'll do more of this sort of stuff since it takes place in the lower levels of Coruscant were cantinas, bars, and nightclubs are littered every where. It would actually be a cool contrast if you heard an Aurabesh song in a predominantly, or exclusively, human space and you heard another language or a multitude of languages in more alien spaces.

In my mind, as a storyteller myself, this would add to the world building of the universe as a whole. Bit then again, that's just me. What do you guys think?

Poe loves Rey likes this.
  2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Absolutely. I loved that a reference book mentioned spirits chanting Duel of the Fates.

3. Ancallibre

Ancallibre Jedi Youngling

Dec 31, 2015
    Interesting, what reference book was this from?

4. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Yes, but i would prefer it be more lyrical like the Cantina Band, and less vocal like that one they added to RotJ. ​

Sarge likes this.
  5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    The Cantina Band is just as awesome as Jedi Rocks isn't.

Poe loves Rey likes this.
  6. Silent Android

Silent Android Jedi Master star 1

Jan 1, 2016
    There was also the '50s-style music played in the background during the Dex's Diner scene in AOTC.

-Jedi Joe- and Poe loves Rey like this.
  7. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    Even more so than Jedi Rocks, that was the most out of place source music in the saga.

Sarge and Silent Android like this.
  8. BadCane

BadCane Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2015
    As a musician and a culture admirer, I'd love to see that.

9. Poe loves Rey

Poe loves Rey Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 6, 2015
    Gave OP a Like for acknowledging yub-nub.

I'm surprised neither cartoon featured a GFFA rock star. Don't know if Droids did. It's always a staple of cartoons, fictional rock stars who make a Jet Screamer type guest appearance.

But nah, let's leave whimsy out of SW, the stakes are too serious for any characters to be listening to music they enjoy, although it should be assumed that Luke had classic rock type tapes in Owen's crib, Leia had bubble gum pop tapes in Bail's joint, and Han also listened to classic rock sounding music. Chewie liked hard rock in Wookiese. No Jedi ever bought music.

Rey couldn't afford music, FN wasn't allowed to listen to any. Poe has a mix of rock and GFFA hip hop stuff, no doubt.

Sarge likes this.
  10. TempleGuard

TempleGuard Jedi Youngling

Mar 14, 2015

Larsonator likes this.
  11. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I think the in-universe music we've seen so far is the perfect amount to fill out the galactic cultural aesthetic.

Wouldn't mind seeing more in future episodes though-if the story warrants it (like in ROTJ-that one had a lot, but it fit with the Jabba part of the story). But I don't need to see the gang listening to tunes on the Falcon, attending a concert on Coruscant (which we technically already got in ROTS with Palpatine), a First Order mess hall with an overhead radio, or Finn with an iPod or anything...

I think things like that are implied-like seeing SW characters go to the bathroom and whatnot.

Sarge likes this.
  12. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    I have always hoped that Lucasfilm would commission a Max Rebo Band album, complete with Lapti Nek, Jedi Rocks, and new, original songs. Gosh, I would buy that in a heartbeat.

Larsonator likes this.
  13. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Coruscant and the Core Worlds

14. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013