main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Abq Star Wars and Religion

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by karenec1, Jun 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. karenec1

karenec1 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2005
    I ran across this article written by Orson Scott Card regarding Star Wars and it's affect on one's belief system. Interesting for sure. Anyone's take on it???

No Faith in This Force

2. ObeyTheFist

ObeyTheFist Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2004
    wow! You know I usually enjoy reading Orson but this comment made me laugh out loud:
    The man really really needs to understand and study where lucas got his ideas from and realize that the jedi's are based off of a religious sect a lot older then his mormon religion.

Yes, he is playing another card but I think the fact is that he does not understand it at all. He sides with Palpy almost the entire way - that his agenda was true and virtusous to get rid of the jedi because he felt they were a monoply not because he was seeking a revenge that was thousands of years old.

I also love the fact that he seems to think that Lucas created the series to start a religion.

lets see what else? hum... oh a bad prophet? I read a book once (Conversation with God - its a short series of books) where God tells the author that he created the idea of Star Wars in Lucas to explain how we should see the world truly.

3. karenec1

May 16, 2005
    I think what bothered me the most about the article is how he seems to gloss over that there are two sides to every religion. What about the vengeful god who condemns sinners to hell for all eternity?

While I don't think Lucas wrote the story to create a religion, religion does come from somewhere. Someone has devine inspiration and he/she shares it with whomever will listen. The idea grows and religions are formed. Then human nature comes in and hypocracy and corruption bloom.

I can go on and on about how organized religion can be construed as the root of all evil. This article just illustrated why a myopic view of one's religion ends up starting religious wars.

4. ObeyTheFist

Oct 18, 2004
    agree with that totally, karenec. unfortunatly, I won't talk more here about religion as it can be a very touchy subject, maybe we can continue on friday or saturday?

5. karenec1

May 16, 2005
    Absolutely :D

I figured as much, but it was an interesting article for sure!

6. ObeyTheFist

Oct 18, 2004
    that ist was...

7. ovadyajediknight

ovadyajediknight Jedi Youngling

Jun 19, 2005
    Hello I'm new around here, but have been a Star Wars fan since '77. I haven't read the article that is the topic of this discusion, but judging by what I've read, I would say that he is way out there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.