main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars and the End of the World

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Philosopher1701, May 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Philosopher1701

Philosopher1701 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2005
    It seems to me that the entire story of Star Wars has parallels to the Christian account of the Last Things.

The Jedi could either represent the Christians in general or the priests of the Church. As the Dark Side begins to cloud everything (the coming of the AntiChrist), the Jedi begin to lose control of everything and begin to disagree with one another on how the situation should be handled.

Palpatine, promising galactic peace, worked his way into office and eventually declared himself as Emperor (the AntiChrist). He then launched a campaign to rid the galaxy of the Jedi (the purge of all the Christians). In a way, Palpatine "desecrates" the Jedi Temple and demands that he be worshipped as a God, seeing as how the Emperor's tower on the Death Star is reminiscent of the Jedi Temple. So in a way, he has replaced the Jedi religion with his own "anti Jedi" religion.

Anakin is a Christ-like figure, seeing as how he was born of a virgin and is the Chosen One who will bring balance to the Force, but he is also a kind of AntiChrist too because he falls to the Dark Side. However, in the end, he is redeemed and Anakin destroyes Palpatine and brings balance to the Force.

I have always thought of the End Times as being parallel to the first persecution of the Christians 2000 years ago by Emperor Nero. If you think of it this way, this could seem very similar to the Jedi Purge. And of course, Palpatine being a liar and deceiver, and promising peace definitely sounds like what the AntChrist will be doing when he attempts to rule the world.

This may sound far-fetched, but I'm curious to know what other people think about this, and also if they have any ideas that they wish to contribute.

2. Philosopher1701

Philosopher1701 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2005
    It is also important to note that Palpatine blames whatever evil he does on the Jedi, much like when Nero burned part of the city of Rome and blamed it on the Christians. Then both of them made their societies believe that the Jedi/Christians must be eliminated.

3. Strung_Guru

Strung_Guru Jedi Youngling

Apr 29, 2005
    I think that one of the most interesting things, and one of the most compelling things, about the saga is that it incorporates elements of a variety of religious ideas and teachings, political histories, and mythological and literary motifs.

The brilliant thing about Lucas' universe is how much it is like ours, no matter our worldview.

-Guru

4. Jedi_Aero-Stone

Jedi_Aero-Stone Jedi Youngling

May 5, 2005
    I feel on a subconscious level, GL was greatly influnenced by the worlds top religions.

As a Christian and practicing Catholic, I can clearly see not only my religions themes running thru these stories but Zen Buddism as well..but for my interpretation, I see more Christianity in it...but I can understand how others can bring their own outlooks into the saga based on their personal religious backgrounds as well, and they wouldnt get an argument from me either. :)

5. BigDaddy_Darth

BigDaddy_Darth Jedi Youngling

Apr 26, 2005
    The main thing the Star Wars Saga has in common with any religion is that they are all great stories.

6. Republic_Trooper

Republic_Trooper Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 22, 2005
    I have noticed the similarities between Palpatine and the Antichrist, even his demise, being thrown into a lake of fire and being thrown into a nuclear reactor. A lot of people say that Star Wars is based on many religions, but I dont see it. It seems that Christianity is the main template. Mabey Lucas is more spiritual than he lets on in public.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.