Star Wars Anime?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by GreenGreatWarrior, Apr 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GreenGreatWarrior Force Ghost

star 4
    Who thinks it would be good if there was a Star Wars Anime that covered all of the films and EU? Starting from 'Tales of the Jedi - Golden Age of the Sith #0 Conquest and Unification' ending with 'The Unifying Force' or any other EU that comes after that in the timeline. I think this would be a great idea and it would definatley be a long running series.
  2. Forcebewitya Jedi Master

star 4
    I would like to see anything Star Wars and Anime, it would be very awesome indeed.

Forcebewitya!
  3. Tiniwiel_Skywalker Jedi Knight

star 3
    Dude,that would be the sweetest thing since.........something sweet!

I've read the SW mange for episode 4,and they ROCK!
  4. Darth Jamus Jedi Master

star 4
    I would love Star Wars Anime, but would not care to see it's beauty wasted on the EU material. Give us something new and better!
  5. SaberGiiett7 Force Ghost

star 6
    Jamus - But then it would still be EU of origin. [face_mischief]

Beside's Manga already covered the film's into a comic form of adaptation, :)which I must say are some pretty neat books. Japanese art is alot cooler. :cool:

<[-]> Saber
  6. Darth Jamus Jedi Master

star 4
    "Jamus - But then it would still be EU of origin"

Well, that all depends on who writes it now doesn't it! 8-} I agree that the Manga adaptions of Star Wars are great. They completely blew away the American comic books, especially Episode 1 TPM Manga! :cool: :cool:
  7. threepio_mania Jedi Knight

star 3
    I think Star Wars Anime would be nice, but I would like to see it maybe drawn in another format. I think anime is cool and all but there are other styles. The whole deal with drawing the characters with huge eyes and spikey hair gets old after a while. I like it when a cartoon uses a few aspects from the anime style, but doesn't really do an anime cartoon.
  8. ratmankey Jedi Master

star 4
    Mmmmm...Star Wars and anime...
  9. Wise-Master Jedi Knight

star 2
    EU would be great in visual. Sounds good.
  10. Obi-Wan21 Force Ghost

star 4
    I'd love to see some new Star Wars Anime! Mainly set around Obi-Wan as a padawan.
  11. Master_Navy_Dragon Jedi Padawan

Star Wars anime would be really cool but
    nothing can beat the movies. Star Wars rules!!!!!!
  12. spring_warm Jedi Knight

star 2
    They should re do the films in Anime, that'd be pretty cool
  13. YodasClass Jedi Knight

Great question. Anime is actually the direction I thought GL would go in for the new cartoon, etc.
  14. Forcebewitya Jedi Master

star 4
    have any of you seen that small story in one of the Tales comics that is done in manga style? I loved it! great art indeed! its about Obi Wan telling Han about a time when him and Qui Gon fought Aurra Sing. Its really cool and also a great story.

Forcebewitya!
  15. Devistro Jedi Knight

star 1
    star Wars Anime done in the style of the Animatrix "Second Renaissance" would be great.
  16. Shadowknight1 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    There is a Star Wars Anime manga. The link to buy these is http://www.animenation.com/books-domestic-manga-star-wars.html
  17. BobaFrank Jedi Youngling

star 5
    I think if it was strictly EU it would work.
  18. Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well, there have been anime done in the style of Star Wars. One to look into is Tenchi Muyo, the animation production is rich with beautiful detail with high drama and hilarious comedy. It's a romanctic sci-fi, towards the end, the characters go into space and have battles in ships. The main character uses an ancient and mystic weapon called the Sword of Tenchi, it's only a hilt, but when he has to duel, a blue blade of light emits.

[image=http://www.buncha-network.com/Anime/tenchimuyo/tenchi/pics/tenchi_04.jpg]

[image=http://tenchitv.com/images/art/episodes/large/unep25_1.jpg]

It even uses the Star Wars lightsaber sound effects, it's pretty exciting. He duels against the villain, Kagato, using laserswords. Kagato's lightsaber blade is black with a red aura. It's a good show, and you can see it's Star Wars influences everywhere. Highly recommended.
  19. Devistro Jedi Knight

star 1
    That's pretty cool. I've often seen lightsaber type weapons in various Anime before.
  20. Jamiebacca Jedi Master

star 4
    Anime?

GAG!!!

I can't stand people speaking in those - no annunciation, just still shots - binary open/close mouths, etc. It's more about assualting you with flashes and noise than it is about true animation. I have a hard time telling Dragon Ball Z from Astroboy.

I don't know, anime, for me, has always lacked fluidity. Besides, walking into a comic shop, looking at the anime covers and titles - it all looks the same to me.

Star Wars is, in it's truest roots, the all-American movie. If there'll be a SW cartoon after Clone Wars, you can bet they'll put a little more effort into it. I'd wager a CG series would be more likely.
  21. Devistro Jedi Knight

star 1
    Jammiebacca, I agree with you in the sense that anime has a tendancy to show a lot of still shots which I hate personally but not all anime animates bad. It's just the confusing hard to follow stories that gets me.
  22. Vhaal Jedi Knight

star 1
    "star Wars Anime done in the style of the Animatrix "Second Renaissance" would be great."

I've gotta agree with you on that one, the animation style would fit Star Wars perfectly!
  23. Devistro Jedi Knight

star 1
    The style to me just looked very detailed and as we all know Star Wars is very detailed.
  24. Neo_is_The_One Jedi Padawan

[edited]

YJ edit: That link was inappropriate.
  25. First_Stage_Lensman Jedi Youngling

star 2
    I grew up with anime and manga looooooooong before it became mainstream. But around 1993 I realized that 95% of Japanese export entertainment was just alot of flashy or cheasy rubbish created for the international market. We laugh at direct to video movies that play theatrically in other countries but avidly collect direct to video movies from Japan. Huh?

At this point I'm so bombarded with anime that I can only see its flaws. I agree with whoever said 'it all looks alike'.

Sure you have a handfull of wonderful directors and artists but the same is true of american animation. For ever Richard Williams and Don Bluth we have dozens of hack animation studios cranking out garbage for a quick buck. Anime is a brand-name now but there isn't a unifying aesthetic or standard of quality.

I'm also sick of seeing so many promising young designers and illustrators being seduced by the simplistic anime style - these kids have no idea who Howard Pyle, Arthur Rackham, Edmund Dulac or Kay Nielson were [and dozens of others] - that's a shame. They need to get a root in classic design and illustration aesthetics before devoting themselves to a sigle style, if ever.

So - PLEASE no SW anime for me!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.