main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars Annual #4

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Feb 22, 2018.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Why does this issue have to be set before Star Wars #8?

2. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Presumably because of something related to this:

3. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    A fun story that Luke, Sana, and Darth Vader all get wrapped up in, and considering how Star Wars is full of big coincidences like that, it feels perfectly natural. I thought that the plot of the twin lightsabers was a great idea, and I'm very interested in learning more about their previous owner, Darth Atrius.

BigAl6ft6 and darklordoftech like this.
  4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I loled at Vader acting salty over the announcer claiming no human had ever won a major podrace. Also the audience members running in terror as he casually started watching the race.

But no I thought it was a nice little connection seeing Luke in a pod and not doing terribly; Vader almost seemed proud.

5. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    A fun story. With Vader, Luke, and Sana all in it I was wondering if their stories would all weave together but they really didn't. Also was wondering if this was going to tie into Sana's initial appearance in the comic but it didn't do that either. Just a fun adventure with all three of those characters in it pretty much just on their own separate story.

Timeline wise I'd say this may have taken place even before the comic started.

6. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Why would Vader destroy a dark side artifact? Don't Vader and Sheev want artifacts to corrupt people with?

7. Supreme Leader Woke

Supreme Leader Woke Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2017
    At least in the digital edition, there was a note indicating that the Annual takes place before SW#8.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  8. lordpixie

lordpixie Jedi Master star 2

Aug 30, 2015
    Does anyone know who that man talking to luke at the start was ? and i really enjoyed this book and art was great! think up to now it's the best one shot !

9. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    I was wondering that too, thinking it might be some recanonized bit player from years gone by, but maybe he's just a total archetype.

10. BeesInABar

BeesInABar Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2015
    I think I’d agree with that placement. Seemed more like confident post-Heir/Weapon Luke before he gets shaken in Skywalker Strikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  11. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I appreciated the heads up in the crawl that this story took place before the events of Star Wars #8 as I would be confused why
    Sana and Skywalker don't interact, but it makes sense thanks to the note.

12. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Seeing another variation (side vents in different position and side blades are smaller then Jedi ones on Malachor) of the crossguard makes me wish to learn more about the background of that saber. I hope we eventually get answers to when it was invented, the saber design that came before, and when the modern saber replaced it. Could the modern saber be an invention post Old Republic, after the last war with the Sith? Then again we do have the darksaber which doesn't require any side vents.

13. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    my theory is that during the last war between the Jedi and Sith there was heavy experimentation with kyber weapons, leading to stuff like the Malachor Superweapon, Jocasta Nu's lightsaber blaster and all sorts of interesting lightsaber variants. The crossgaurd saber was probably something of a fashion fad.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  14. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Instead of having side vents because "fashion" reasons, I prefer it being an improvement to whatever saber existed before it. Making tech of that era requiring vents on the side to keep the lightsaber of that size stable, with sabers preceding it more bulky and technologically inferior. Though once sabers of the same size but without side vents could be invented, then it makes the crossguard obsolete.

Darth_Accipiter and Vialco like this.
  15. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Did you know that the context behind the Scourge of Malachor was slightly expanded in FFG's Rebel Dawn? (Disclaimer: Someone might pop up to tell me: "Silence, you philistine! RPGs are not meant to be canon!" I don't care.)

Anyhoo, not much was added, just that the Sith forces at Malachor were led by a "Sith witch."

AdmiralWesJanson and AV-6R7 like this.
  16. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    That's probably a reference to the Presence from the Malachor holocron.

17. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Whom we know Filoni did name. But he never revealed that name to us.

AV-6R7 likes this.
  18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Great art, cool story, good progression throughout, I really liked this issue.

And Vader totally broke the pod because he didn't want some random human (who he didn't know was Luke) breaking lil Annie's record. Which is great because even as Darth Vader, he still wants to be the best at podracing and the only human who can do it.

19. Grievpalpy75

Grievpalpy75 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 31, 2015
    In my headcanon, the Presence is an original character based on Vitiate and Traya.