main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo [Official Info] Solo: A Star Wars Story - May 25, 2018

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by newdawn12, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    Is he a good actor though?

2. SWITS

SWITS Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 7, 2015
    I had to google all these guys and watch a few youtube vids of them. Here are my opinions on each one of them, and how they measure up(figuratively and literally) to Harrison Ford(6'1").

Miles Teller 28 (6'0") - He's got the right height. But he's too skinny. He doesn't have the right voice nor the macho enough presence of Han Solo. (Final Opinion = No.)

Ansel Elgort 21 (6'4") - Too tall! Too skinny. Physically alone, this is not gonna fit. He'd make Chewie look short. (Final Opinion = No.)

Dave Franco 30 (5'7") - Too short! You're gonna have to put the guy in high heels just to make it look like a believable Han Solo. (Final Opinion = No.)

Jack Reynor 23 (6'0") - He's got the right height. Evidently he's Irish and has an Irish accent. However, if he's able to do an American accent, he actually might be able to sound like Han Solo. I can kindof hear a similarity in the voice. He's got a close enough resemblance in the face to Harrison. This guy might have a good shot at pulling it off. (Final Opinion - Maybe!)

Scott Eastwood 29 (5'11") - Height is close enough. He's a really good looking guy, but he doesn't have the right look for Han Solo. And ultimately, his acting is not up to par to fill Han Solo's shoes. (Final Opinion = No.)

Logan Lerman 23 (5'9") - Maybe a little too short, and maybe a little too skinny. And maybe a little too young. But he's got a smooth delivery similar to Han Solo. His face and hair look similar enough. I actually can see this guy being a young Han Solo. (Final Opinion = Maybe!)

Emory Cohen 25 (5'7") - He's probably too short. He's got a real casual mellow vibe, maybe too much. He doesn't come across as being very likeable/fan-friendly either. But he's got that Han-type gaze in his eyes tho. (Final Opinion = No.)

Blake Jenner 23 (6'1") - No! Absolutely not! He doesn't even look like Han/Harrison. More like John Ritter/Jim Carrey. He's got too much Glee in him! (Final Opinion = oh hell NO!) (his wife is hot though... Supergirl. I love her!)

In conclusion, most of these guys are not good fits. Of this list, only 2 guys I might be okay with as Han. So far... I've got a bad feeling about this.

3. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Anthony Breznican of Entertainment Weekly, who had access to Abrams and Lucasfilm throughout The Force Awaken's marketing cycle, said he heard the actual shortlist is much larger than this, and that some of these names aren't on that list. Listen, after how well cast The Force Awakens was and how stellar the cast they've put together looks for Rogue One, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. I'm not going to worry about the casting for young Han until after Lucasfilm confirms who gets the role, and only then if I think the choice they've made is unworkably wrong for whatever reason. And even then I'll keep an open enough mind to allow for the film itself to try and convince me the right choice was made. In the words of Han himself, "Come on, let's keep a little optimism here."

I'd also recommend reading this for anyone in a tizzy over the shortlist. It's from Drew Mcweeny (formerly Moriarty from AintItCoolNews, if that name sounds familiar), and it's probably the most level-headed reaction to today's non-news I've read.
    http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captur...-really-need-to-stop-caring-about-short-lists

4. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Why is Tye Sheridan not on the short list? [​IMG]

5. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    Worst list ever...

JediPrincess91 and 11-4D like this.
  6. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    As Pym said, mainly The Lego Movie and Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs.

7. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    The Last Man on Earth is really good. When it comes to the behind the scenes talent involved in this film, I am 100% on board.

8. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Really, **** this movie. We don't need it. Harrison is the only one who can play Han Solo, and his story has already been told from start to finish. It's just 100% fanservice

9. CarboniteSolo

CarboniteSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 11, 2013
    I would prefer a story of how Lando loses the Falcon to Han and also how Han saves Chewie's life, and has a life debt to Han. I would also like to see Kashyyyk again, and some other bounty hunters, besides just Boba Fett.

As far as the casting, that's going to be tough to fill Harrison Ford's shoes. I do like Anthony Ingruber, but, isn't he too old? Not only that, but he doesn't have the acting chops to pull it off, if they work with him, maybe.

Scott Eastwood, I think could do it, not really sure though.

10. Miotas

Miotas Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 25, 2010
    Have to admit I am not to happy with the short list at all. I really did not want this movie to begin with. I don't need them to ruin it by picking a bad young Han.

If Anthony Ingruber was cast, I would actually have some excitement for it, but these guys? No. Just no.

Avnar likes this.
  11. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    I like how people are choosing to ignore the statement we got from Brezincan that several names on the list we received aren't on the actual list, and that the actual list is much longer. There's a good possibility that none of the names that were named are going to get the part. It could be someone we haven't heard mentioned. It could be a complete unknown. It could be literally anyone. Let's not freak out until we have an actual reason to.

And this movie is being made because Lawrence Kasdan wanted to write it. They asked him if he'd be willing to write a spin-off, showed him a list of concepts, and he said "I'll write a movie about Han." I'm going to assume, then, that the story came from him. I'm going to assume, then, that the movie is being made because a screenwriter who is very good at writing Han had a story he wanted to tell about Han. That, to me at least, is very reassuring.

Dra--- and Darth Nave like this.
  12. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    People just have a particular knee-jerk negative reaction to even the idea of this film, which I don't really get. I'm kid of excited myself. A Han movie made by Lord and Miller (love those guys) and written by Kasdan (who did such good work with Han in TWO separate movies). Bring it on I say.

13. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    It's still confusing that Teller remains on the list. He was a good actor in Whiplash, but he is as non-Han Solo as it gets. Very little charisma that guy.

HanSolo29 likes this.
  14. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Of the 12 people recently mentioned, I like Scott Eastwood for the role

[​IMG]

15. Darth Nave

Dec 27, 2015
    Scott Eastwood's got a good look and is a pretty good actor, but IMO he's too old.

Like I said, Taron Egerton is my number one pick, and I think his schedule is open, since he's filming the Kimgsman sequel and Robin Hood movie this year and this movie starts shooting in early 2017.

16. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    It's possible Teller isn't on the actual list, as per Breznican's comments that not every actor on the Variety list we saw is on Lucasfilm's actual list.

17. Bennihana

Bennihana Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 22, 2014
    Worse than that, I think - it's a cash grab. I think they could pull it off but casting would have to be perfect and every decision has to be the right one for it to work.

18. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Non of them IMHO look like a good choice, we're doomed........

19. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Am I by myself in not freaking out about every most-likely-untrue rumor about this movie? Someone tell me I'm not alone.

20. Darth Nave

Dec 27, 2015
    You and me both. By the way we have the same ranking for the movies except ANH and TESB's places are flipped in mine.

PymParticles likes this.
  21. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002

Weirdly enough I don't freak out until there is some reason to.

We're a wild and crazy bunch.

22. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    They should scratch this film and make a Dash Rendar (sp?) film instead... Use the same story elements with a brand new character. Han Solo is... it's too... you just don't touch him!

Then use Scott Eastwood!

23. Fruit Pastilles

Fruit Pastilles Jedi Master star 3

Dec 21, 2014
    We saw you the first time! No need to keep posting this!

24. CarboniteSolo

CarboniteSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 11, 2013
    If that is indeed the list, then I say either Jack Reynor or Scott Eastwood.

The BIG question is whoever gets Han Solo role, does that mean they are automatically entitled to portray Indiana Jones in future films?

25. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    So far, at least where the Anthology films are concerned, Rogue One is by a mile the spin-off film that seems the most worth any effort because despite taking place in a fairly familiar context, it seems like they are going to experiment thematically and tonally with the characters and story telling. To me, that's what Anthology is about - taking risks where the core trilogy cannot. That's why I can forgive The Force Awakens for following the verse-chorus-verse structure of A New Hope (among other reasons).

The Solo origin film can really only work against the "expanded" aspect of Star Wars because everybody knows who Han Solo is along with having a very good idea of where his life journey is headed. So we'll potentially get to see him take a loan from Jabba or play cards with Lando? So what? Personally, I think this film is at the risk of depriving fans of their ability to possess the character through using their own imaginations and interpretations as to Han's origins.

Why not put all of this energy into creating an engaging new character? Or even a crew?