main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo [Official Info] Solo: A Star Wars Story - May 25, 2018

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by newdawn12, Dec 29, 2014.

1. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Right. AND they have Lawrence Kasdan writing it.

I was originally down on a Han origin story, but now I'm convinced that this is going to be a very enjoyable movie. They just have to get the casting right.

In that context, do we know if Nina Gold is casting for this?

2. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Casting an "unknown" like a Daisy Ridley is their best shot at having people accept this new, young Han Solo. The Miles Teller, Zac Efron, Dave Franco types are not going to give you that. They would be too much baggage and therefore backlash.

Tye Sheridan is my guy for this. He's very much still under the radar, but his work as been excellent.

3. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    Just tell us who it is already...

[face_nail_biting]

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  4. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    The movie doesn't come out until December of 2018. I doubt that they announce it until late this year, at earliest.

5. Jonipoon

Apr 22, 2014
    Its a bummer, really. I kind of feel they are doing the same thing with the new Han Solo as they're doing with the new Spider-Man. The new Captain America movie is out in 3 months and we still have NO idea how Spider-Man will look like in that film.

6. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Except the new Han Solo probably hasn't been cast yet and the movie doesn't start shoiting until at least a year from now, to say nothing of the film being a bit less than three years away from being released if it gets pushed to December.

But yeah, other than that is basically the same thing.

7. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    In my Opinion, of all the actors rumored to be in the running to play a young Han Solo, Tye Sheridan and Anthony Ingruber are the only ones that could possibly make it work as a young Han Solo. I still say that they should get Anthony Ingruber for the job. He looks uncannily like Harrison Ford; and has the mannerisms of Ford's young self down perfectly. Whether or not he is a brilliant actor doesn't matter to me. They Cast him in Age of Adeline so he can act well enough. I would rather have Anthony Ingruber, who could actually sell the physicality of Harrison Ford, than a brilliant actor who looks nothing like Ford. They need to create the illusion that, the person they Cast really is a young Han Solo.

Avnar likes this.
  8. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    That illusion will be created better with a brilliant actor than with someone who simply looks like Ford. Part of a brilliant actor's job will be to imitate the mannerisms of Han Solo, similarly to the way McGregor got Guinness's voice down. If he can't do that, he's not all that brilliant. But I'd be more convinced by a strong actor who may not resemble Ford as much, than a terrible actor who is the splitting image of Ford. I would definitely emphasize talent above looks, though I do think the look is certainly important.

9. Jonipoon

Apr 22, 2014
    I used to think like you aswell, being totally pro-Ingruber. But the fact is that Disney wants to show the character of Solo before he became "that charming scoundrel you meet in the Cantina in A New Hope). Its quite obvious that they don't want their new Han Solo to be as macho as Harrison Ford portrayed him - I think that just doesn't work with today's political correctness.

So, I think it's more likely that the role will go to some babyfaced actor like Logan Lerman instead, who can act well and give the audience a more young and naive Han Solo who isn't anything like the machotype we loved.

10. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Ingruber's just not a good actor. His few moments in Age of Adaline, where he hammily imitated Ford, were painful to me.

I'm in the Tye Sheridan camp. He's a great young actor who looks enough like a young Ford. The only question mark about him is his comic timing. I think whoever they cast has to be naturally funny.

11. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I mean 3 months vs. 3 YEARS is a very different thing. The movie doesn't even start filming, presumably, until some time next year. So they've got time (especially since I doubt that a Han-focused fill will be a "big" either budget or cast-wise as the main ones, or even RO).

12. Baron_Papanerd

May 1, 2014

I agree that Casting a brilliant actor is preferred; but they also need to closely resemble Harrison Ford in looks as well as mannerisms, or I simply wont buy them being a young Han Solo, no matter how good they can act. I don't know if Anthony Ingruber is a brilliant actor, but he was in Age of Adeline, so he must be a competent actor. Add that to his resemblance, and spot on impersonation of Harrison Ford, and it is perfect for me. Tye Sheridan is the only other Rumored actor on the list that has the right look. I think he would be a good pick, if he can get the mannerisms and voice down. This is just my humble opinion. :-B

This is the reason why I am worried about this Anthology movie. [face_nail_biting]

13. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    I'm still pushing for Taron Egerton. He's got a good look for the role and can play a rough and tumble character who's also witty, as seen in Kingsman: The Secret Service. My only doubt is that he's starring in that series and an upcoming Robin Hood movie that's being proposed as the start of a series, so he might have a bit too much "baggage", though not as much as some of the other candidates.

14. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Since I'll be spending two hours watching a movie, rather than looking at a Madame Tussauds display, I prefer a great lead actor who looks mildly like Ford over a so-so lead actor who is the splitting image of Ford. That is, I need to be more convinced that he is the young protagonist of this particular story than I am that he is the young version of the Han Solo we know from the saga. Yes, it's important that I believe he's the Han Solo we know from the saga, but it's infinitely more important that he sustain my interest for two hours, instead of the 10 minutes (tops) of interest in a Ford doppleganger.

15. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    yea I just saw the scenes with Ingruber on youtube of The Age Of Adaline movie and it was painful to watch, it is one thing to Imitate someone but to Imitate someone and Act as well not the same thing, he is a horrible actor honestly. the reason I did not post the youtube video is it is not aloud on here because of Copyright Laws. If you guys want to check it out just go to www.youtube.com ....

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  16. Wookie Hairdresser

Wookie Hairdresser Jedi Youngling

Jan 29, 2016
    I'm sorry, I haven't read the entire 32 pages of this thread, but here:

Have they announce what time period this movie would take place?

I don't wanna 10-year old Han Disney movie...

17. Baron_Papanerd

May 1, 2014

Oh well, we have different opinions. No problem. [face_peace]

Darth_Articulate likes this.
  18. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    He'll be around 20, IIRC.

19. Big Boss

Big Boss Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 16, 2015
    the obvious answer is to have someone that resembles him - though could get away being a younger and more rugged looking, depending on the direction they want to have the viewer seeing a young Han - and have someone that can act. we need to remember that Star Wars isnt famous far its actors, or its acting, it has many more highlights than that. ofc, if they can snag a great, young actor, that somehow resembles him, fine. but whats important, and more important to the general movie going public, is the LOOK. people are shallow ( dont read into that too much). im guessing they will go with a rugged look, someone that feels like a more untamed, less calm/cool persona, so they can sell the "this is Han before he became the calm/cool/collected bad *** we know and love. there will need to be a arc of some sort lets not forget, so GUESSING thats the way theyll play it. so this, imo, basically rules out that Tye Sheridan, as he's too goody goody and youthful. i dont like the idea of Miles, Effron etc either though, and after a quick google search i ZERO suggestions *SIGH*

20. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    I think it's simple. Whoever they choose, he has to be naturally funny and very likable.

21. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
  22. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    http://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2016/02/new-han-solo-a-star-wars-story-casting-rumors.html

Here's the article that's sourced from, which has an even more interesting tidbit of information: when they tested together, evidently they were playing related characters. This might be nothing, as the article reminds that Daisy Ridley and John Boyega auditioned together using material from The Hunger Games, or it might be something. If it's something, that's huge. The Brothers Solo. Presumably one dies, turning the other into the cynical "I'm in it for the reward" bastard we know and love.

23. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Or they are rivalling brothers and one of them is an Imp. Yeah, I'd definitely enjoy if they went that route. Maybe Han had the opportunity for an imperial career and told them to suck it.

24. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    One of them as Thrackan Sal-Solo, or someone of a similar nature and relationship to Han?

25. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Not exactly, I wasn't a fan of the whole noble heritage thing. There's already enough nobility in SW as is.

But yeah, his brother should be kind of a coward who will ignore any of the Empire's crimes for his career. It would make Han himself look more heroic.