main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MINIS Star Wars Armada

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Octavian Dibar, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Octavian Dibar

Octavian Dibar Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2015
    I wasn't able to locate a thread for this game and I figured I'd get one started. Apologies if one already exists.

I had a chance to play a demo game at Celebration and found that it played very well. It seemed to have a lot of depth and opportunities for unique strategies. Not sure about about balance yet though.

My initial impression of the Rebel fleet is that it requires a lot of finesse and adaptability, whereas the Imperial fleet tends to lean more towards long-term planning.

Anyone had a chance to play a full game? Interested to know what your thoughts/strategies are in regards to the different fleets.

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I've found a nice little review here:

http://www.theguardian.com/technolo...eview-epic-space-battles-on-your-dinner-table

I played my first full-sized game of Armada (using two of the £60 core sets) on a hungover Sunday. Over coffee, eggs and gentle headaches, my friend and I pieced together all the rules we’d forgotten, positioned our fleets and set our first, hesitant orders. We were stunned at what happened next. This absurd game of toys and lasers playing out on the table was – there’s no other word for it – balletic.
    The way Armada models the momentum of the biggest ships sees them moving slowly, and turning even more slowly, leading to a fascinating inevitability. You can see them brutalising other vessels entire turns before it’s happened. The smaller, more fragile ships are faster, and cut impossible curves into the battlefield, slipping around debris fields and behind enemy ships. All while the tiniest fighter craft skim the empty space between these vessels like mayflies.
    Armada is slow enough that you get excited by mistakes and opportunities not just when they’re in front of you, but when you spot them on the horizon, 20 minutes away. For all the miniatures on the table between you, the real beauty and fun of Armada is being sat with a friend, both of you in this meditative state of mind, not watching the game but imagining the hypothetical table that will exist in the future.
    That’s a wonderful connection to share with someone. So wonderful, in fact, that I’m looking forward to the next time I drink, just because I’ll have a good excuse to play hungover Armada the next day.
    I’m not denying I have a problem. In fact, I thoroughly recommend that you acquire the same problem for yourself.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  3. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Necro'ing to say this is fantastic. Man so many good Star Wars games out right now.