main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Star Wars as a product of the 70's

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by MOC Vober Dand, Jan 2, 2015.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I see Star Wars as a timeless tale about the universal struggle between democracy and dictatorship. The Rebellion against the evil Empire has happened many times before and will happen many times again.

2. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

It does work wonderfully on this level, I think, and serves to remind one of the importance of rebellion. Authorities and hierarchical structures cannot always be obeyed. And this is a story intended (primarily) for young audiences, young minds.

And yes, in the main, history/human nature is cyclical. We seem to be addicted to our past, and to power, and stuck in a past-eating loop. Look how the Star Wars saga is full of allusions to circles and narratively folds back on itself.

And the original is still the most luminous of the existing six, in my opinion. Something very pure about the whole experience. A rich "meeting of minds" to steal the wording of Darth_Nub. A wonderful work of cinema.

3. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I don't view Star Wars as an antiquated movie from another decade about forty years ago and hairstyles don't affect me, but it is very much implanted in my nostalgia of the time, although I became aware of it a little later when The Empire Strikes Back came out. The end of the '70s and 1980 was a time full of bright zaniness, goofiness and kitsch, as evident in the disco popularity, fashions, TV shows like Three's Company and Wonder Woman to name a few, the burgeoning arcade scene, new wave, and silly comedy movies. Star Wars may have had a hand in sparking that, along with I think, the Bicentennial. It does seem like a juxtaposition when looking at old footage of the theatrical release or interviews since those are definitely of Earth, but the movie remains a timeless bubble of its own from another galaxy far, far away to me.

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  4. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    The costumes and hair feel timeless to me too, definitely not 70s beyond a mustache or two.

5. Death Wizard

Death Wizard Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 3, 2012
    Well said.