main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga "Star Wars" as in-universe propaganda film series...

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Pyrogenic, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Pyrogenic

Pyrogenic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2006

"Somewhere in space, this may all be happening right now."

Ezon Pin and Lulu Mars like this.
  2. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    yeah, totally... what?

3. Pyrogenic

Nov 17, 2006
    The movies we experience as "Star Wars" can be interpreted as in-universe (GFFA) propaganda movies made for the citizens of the GFFA to make them think that this stuff is happening/not happening. Hence, the biased title crawls, for example.

Ezon Pin likes this.
  4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't think Lucas intended us to believe they're biased.

5. Pyrogenic

Nov 17, 2006
    I can intend myself to believe that, though. "Evil is everywhere." Whose POV is that from?
    Another way of putting it would be to ask where the opening crawls are actually coming from if not an unknown writer.

Ezon Pin likes this.
  6. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The "impartial external observer".

Pyrogenic likes this.
  7. Pyrogenic

Nov 17, 2006
    Third person omniscient?

8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe it's The Whills themselves (as per the original novelisation's "Journal of the Whills" intro) that record the whole thing.

darklordoftech and Pyrogenic like this.
  9. Pyrogenic

Nov 17, 2006
    We are the impartial external observers, no? Or are we being influenced to believe this the same way the GFFA people are? "Suspension of disbelief."

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away? Or right here, right now? Technically...

I believe it is blurring the lines of what is diegetic and non-diegetic.

"Star Wars" as found footage.

Ezon Pin likes this.
  10. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    R2 and 3PO are telling the story to the Whills.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Way too much conspiracy theory for my taste; sounds like the GFFA version of Alex Jones, whose fans will tell you that you can NEVER get "the truth" from either the government or the "mainstream media."

I think Lucas had a very specific idea of which side was good and which side was evil based on the standard moral norms that several different religions and belief systems share.

12. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Indeed, he did. In the Charlie Rose interview, they discussed that topic and George said that he feels the widespread success of Star Wars proved him right; that human beings do believe in compassion.

That said, congrats Pyrogenic on yet another mind-bending topic! :)

13. Pyrogenic

Nov 17, 2006
    Instead of creating another thread...how about this idea concerning the internal chronology of Star Wars and their order of release?

1st A New Hope
    2nd The Empire Strikes Back
    3rd Return of the Jedi
    And some things that should not have been forgotten were lost. History became legend. Legend became myth. And for a thousand years, the "ring" passed out of all knowledge.
    4th The Phantom Menace
    5th Attack of the Clones
    6th Revenge of the Sith

The idea is that the OT actually takes place before the PT, albeit many, many years before. There are only bits and pieces of information that the GFFA is then built upon after the formation of the Republic and the events lead into themselves as a causal loop or eternal recurrence. The Sith want revenge because they were destroyed at the battle of Endor a thousand years before, but no one realizes it was literally the same events that will happen next. The complete saga. Not the consistent saga. :)

14. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    So what you're saying is that Ka is a wheel?

Oh, Pyro... no.

I understand you like to look at the films unconventionally, but... why come up with such a complicated theory when it's pretty obvious that it is incorrect?.

15. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    It's obvious only from the conventional point of view.
    I applaud Pyro's efforts to encourage unconventional thinking, as that opens doors to endless possibilities.

If I choose to view the release order as the chronological order, then in my mind, that is - in that moment - the chronological order. It actually works if you view the universe and it's possibilities as infinite and I think it's a fascinating take on the Saga.

More importantly, it leads to interesting thoughts on eternity, spacetime and the cyclical nature of things.

Pyrogenic and HevyDevy like this.
  16. Pyrogenic

Nov 17, 2006
    Star Wars:

adjective

1 a star pupil:
    brilliant, talented, gifted, able,exceptional, outstanding, bright, clever, masterly,consummate, precocious, prodigious.

2 the star attraction:
    top, leading, best, greatest,foremost, major, preeminent, champion.ANTONYMS poor, minor.

17. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Aaah! The propaganda machine of galactic democracy present the wars in their movies as the greatest, most important wars in existence. Striking back at the oppressive forces of the Sith is the most brilliant move imaginable.

Clever!

Pyrogenic likes this.
  18. Pyrogenic

Nov 17, 2006
    It's a conspiracy! And as we all know...

"Conspiracy" is the main meaning of "plot," not "story line."