main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars as seen by droids

Discussion in 'Literature' started by slimybug, Sep 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubba

Bubba Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2000
    I like 'em all, personally.

Skippy was written intentionally noncanonical, anyway.

2. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    "According to the National Public Radio Dramatization of Star Wars, R2-D2 sabotaged R5-D4's motivator to ensure that it would break down. Galaxy Guide 1: A New Hope, a roleplaying game supplement, states that R5-D4 blew his own motivator so that Artoo and Threepio would not be separated. In Star Wars Tales, R5-D4 is actually a great forgotten Jedi named Skippy.

Well, we can skip Skippy, he's Infinities... I know! Artoo asked Arfive to do it, but he wouldn't, so Artoo reprogrammed him to agree to it. There. Problem solved. I think. :)

I wonder what the Databank says about the time-travel thing. Hmm...

TC

3. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    "Well, we can skip Skippy, he's Infinities..."

"LFL's Chris Cerasi, from TOS:In order to allow unlimited freedom of storytelling, the Infinities label has been placed on the anthology series, Star Wars Tales. This means that not only can the stories occur anywhere in the Star Wars timeline, but stories can happen outside continuity."

Just as old Peeja Mobeut said in the first issue of tales.

Then the databanks says:
    "According to the National Public Radio Dramatization of Star Wars, R2-D2 sabotaged R5-D4's motivator to ensure that it would break down. Galaxy Guide 1: A New Hope, a roleplaying game supplement, states that R5-D4 blew his own motivator so that Artoo and Threepio would not be separated. In Star Wars Tales, R5-D4 is actually a great forgotten Jedi named Skippy.

You decide."

4. TalonCard

Jan 31, 2001
    I mean, he's the sort of Infinities we can ignore. That story was never intended to be part of the continuity. Tales was made Infinities partly so that stories like his could be told. Anyway, back to the time-travel issue...

"Although C-3PO achieved consciousness in a Mos Espa slave hovel, his frame is actually quite old, and some of his components date back a century, forged on the mechanized world of Affa."

This would seem to indicate that it would be impossible for Threepio as we know him (and therefore as he appears in the Star comic) to have been in exsistance 105BBY. And even if he did, how could he get back to before TPM without going back through time?

On a side note:
    "Threepio thinks he has had a string of 43 owners before serving Captain Antilles aboard the Tantive IV. "
    I wonder how many we've seen. Here's all the ones I know of:

Anakin Skywalker
    Shimi Skywalker
    Mungo Baobab
    Jord Dusat
    Thall Joben
    Intergalactic Droid Agency
    Doodnik
    Jann Tosh
    Zorneth
    Lott Kemp
    Nikki
    Nik
    Zell
    Starlock
    Wena
    Pitareeze
    Jake Harthan
    Larka
    Tosh

That makes only 19. There are two more unnamed ones I know of, which brings it up to 21. That leaves us with 22 unaccounted for. Anyone know of any more?

TC

5. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    Ah, my slighty out of date list that I sent to Time Tales. I still need to correct some of the ordering of masters there. To my knowledge, those are the only ones thus far revealed.

And the 3PO in the Star Comics DOES look quite a bit different than the 3PO in modern times doesn't he? Much more rounded and cartoony...maybe some of his components are from that?

6. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "This would seem to indicate that it would be impossible for Threepio as we know him (and therefore as he appears in the Star comic) to have been in exsistance 105BBY. And even if he did, how could he get back to before TPM without going back through time?"

I've never seen the last half the story what's the outcome?

From what I've heard, threepio ends up getting into another timewarp and going back to the present, that he was at before the disaster, and gives the crown prince back to the family, and the story moves on from there.

Also consider that Wicket, and chirpa, logray, and kneesa are alive, they didn't travel back 100 years. More like 1 yr before the main story takes place.

7. Mavrick889

Feb 27, 1999
    Yes that is accurate, Valiento. They do indeed find their way back into the time warp and back home.

However, 3PO does say that they are now "100 years in the future" when they arrive in Endor space. How he knows this, one can only imagine.

8. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    100 years would be an exageration. From the fact, that we know ewoks don't have a long life span(See Eg to aliens), and kneesa, wicket, would be dead by then, and wouldn't be children as well.

9. Mavrick889

Feb 27, 1999
    Well no. They jump to 100 years in the future, or 3 years ASW4, by my calculations. That means the bulk of the Marvel Droids comics take place 97 years BSW4.

One just has to figure out a way for 3PO to lose his buddy R2, and end up on Tatooine a complete and utter mess. My guess is R2 definately recognizes the poor guy when they meet in TPM.

10. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Kneesa, wicket, logray, weren't even alive 97 years before star wars 4. IF they were, wicket and kneesa would be old and withered in ewok movies, and the rotj.

11. Mavrick889

Feb 27, 1999
    I think you misunderstand me. The Droids story is a time travel story. Kneesa and Wicket don't need to be alive for this story, as the Droids jump into the FUTURE to meet the Ewoks.

12. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    But they are alive in the story, I thought you said they jumped back 97 years into the past. Then at the end jump back 97 years back to there present they started from.

I've only read the first half. I've ordered both issues to see what it was like. I should know in a few weeks anyways.

13. Mavrick889

Feb 27, 1999
    Basically:

97 years BSW4:
    3PO and R2 jump into the future accidentally, and to everyone else, come back a few seconds after they jumped. However...

3 years ASW4:
    In reality, the Droids arrived on Endor, 100 years in the future, at this date in time, and have themselves an adventure, and inadvertantly, add a prophesy to an already rich religion. They disapear back to whence they came through a rip in space.

14. TalonCard

Jan 31, 2001
    >And the 3PO in the Star Comics DOES look quite a bit different than the 3PO in modern times >doesn't he? Much more rounded and cartoony...maybe some of his components are from that?

No, I meant his personality is the same. Maybe he got the dates wrong, and they only traveled 20 or so years in the future?

Why doesn't Threepio remember his time on Endor, anyway?

TC

15. Mavrick889

Feb 27, 1999
    "No, I meant his personality is the same. Maybe he got the dates wrong, and they only traveled 20 or so years in the future? "

It's certainly possible.

"Why doesn't Threepio remember his time on Endor, anyway? "

The same reason he doesn't remember Tatooine, the Skywalker name, or a number of other things.

16. slimybug

slimybug Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2001
    C-3PO came to the future and was destroyed.

Anakin found his Verbobrain and built him again.

17. Bubba

Bubba Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2000
    Well, according to Thank the Maker, Threepio was trashed, and Anakin rebuilt him as new.

So the pre-TPM era Threepio is the Marvel Star one, and he is somehow destroyed after the time-travel story and is eventually found decades later by Anakin.

18. Mavrick889

Feb 27, 1999
    He came to the future, and then came back to the past. SOme time after he came back to the past, he was demolished on Tatooine.

19. Bubba

Bubba Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2000
    Or do you mean he went to the future (on Endor), returned to the past (100 BBY), and along the way is destroyed, and Artoo possibly gets a memory-wipe?

20. TalonCard

Jan 31, 2001
    >It's certainly possible.

I prefer that explanation. It beats having Artoo leave Naboo in 100BBY, meet up with Threepio, then have Artoo return to Naboo, stay there for sixty-three years, and having Threepio trashed on Tatooine and "rebuilt" by Anakin. If the Clone Wars and Outbound Flight can be moved up so as not to interfere with the prequels, then surely this can. Not that it means anything, but doesn't Time Tales go with this?

>The same reason he doesn't remember Tatooine, the Skywalker name, or a number of other >things.

Fair enough, but the official site says that "C-3PO achieved consciousness in a Mos Espa slave hovel", so the comic couldn't have happened before then.

TC

21. Bubba

Bubba Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2000
    You're right...Artoo WAS built on Naboo...but all we need is a bit of continuity glue and this can fit together. Should we tell TimeTales about this?

22. Mavrick889

Feb 27, 1999
    Well according to an early Russ Manning Comic Strip, 3PO tells Mistress Mnemnos that he was built on a planet called Affa. So perhaps he was built there 112 years BSW4, and had himself a number of adventures before ending up on Tatooine.

In regards to R2 leaving Naboo, it's quite possible this DID happen. I mean, my guess is the Droids will end up on Alderaan at the end of Episode III...so how do we fit the Droids cartoon and comics in? Well, someone needs to write a book or comic about how they get lost for 18 years, before R2 finally leads them back to the Royal House of Alderaan.

23. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "Fair enough, but the official site says that "C-3PO achieved consciousness in a Mos Espa slave hovel", so the comic couldn't have happened before then."

And yes if I was Knocked Out, and stuck unconcious in a hospital for 11 years. Then finally wake up, then I too would have achieved conciousness in that hospital.

24. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    I'm going to have to ignore the 100 or so years thing...It just kind of cheapens Artoo's and Threepio's first meeting in Anakin's hovel. Just based on that, it doesn't mean it's out of continuity, but I'm going to prefer to think of Threepio having a faulty memory when it came to Endor. If you hear his dialogue in the ROTJ radio drama, it sounds like he's never been there before and doesn't know what to expect. Perhaps he just had a memory glitch, and his pre-ROTJ visit to Endor occured, as Talon pointed out, between 20-10 years before ANH, or even within the rest of the Marvel Droids comics.

25. TalonCard

Jan 31, 2001
    >Well according to an early Russ Manning Comic Strip, 3PO tells Mistress Mnemnos that he was >built on a planet called Affa. So perhaps he was built there 112 years BSW4, and had himself a >number of adventures before ending up on Tatooine.

Yes, Threepio's frame was built on Affa.

>And yes if I was Knocked Out, and stuck unconscious in a hospital for 11 years. Then finally wake >up, then I too would have achieved conciousness in that hospital.

:D I don't think that's QUITE what they meant... :D

TC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.