main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Star Wars at D23 Expo 2015

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by ManaByte, May 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002

That is pretty much impossible now. MOS tried that at CC when they showed the clip of Clark saving the kids on the bus. WB spent the next few months taking down bootleg copies. Wasn't worth the effort. So if they do show something, it will be on YouTube immediately or shortly after.

I absolutely love the BTS video. I like it better then the two trailers particularly the opening minute (I absolutely love simple concept shots with a small music score underneath it). But I also agree that it was fine for CC since nothing was expected and shouldn't been. Star Wars is honestly bigger then CC. It was done out of sentimental and really loyalty since when George was struggling to get pub for ANH, it was the CC fans who got a small but brewing following for the movie.

But D23 is another animal. It's Disney's showcase and so far they just teased Star Wars. That needs to change. Official poster, film synopsis and even a brief scene should be rolled out along with some basic insight into what the filmmakers were inspired/thinking about while making it. ENOUGH with the practical effects talk!

2. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013

Well you can't find the X-Men Apocalypse teaser on Youtube anymore.

But I doubt Disney would put an exclusive out at the convention and hide it from the public. Disney is a lot more public than that and wants everyone to see what they are doing. Besides the movie is out in 4 months, not 10. If they revealed the teaser from April everywhere, they'd do it for whatever they show at D23.

3. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998

They did in 2013. They showed exclusive footage from Captain America and Guardians of the Galaxy.

4. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    I am personally a fan of the idea of showing the first 30 seconds of the trailer at D23 and then showing the complete trailer the week of Force Friday.

5. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    That's true about doing it at D23 with Guardians and Winter Soldier, but Lucasfilm has been far more open that Marvel Studios. For all the secrecy, we got a live stream of the Celebration panel, we got the teaser along with everyone else at the convention, the SDCC panel was uploaded online in its entirety, and the BTS wasn't kept exclusive either. They're been playing the, "We really want everybody to see what we're doing and get excited for it" card with this film.

6. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Good point. If they made the Celebration teaser public and the SDCC BTS video public immediately, I can't see why they wouldn't publicly release whatever they show at D23. That would make no sense at all.

But if they wanted to have something come out right around their big marketing day and have it fresh BUT show something substantial at D23 too, then that's why my 30-second trailer preview works wonderfully!!!:D

7. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002

Which got out on the internet right away.

I agree assuming the last trailer is Force Friday. You never know it might come out later or even a bit earlier. But either way I be fine if they showed a snippet of the final trailer and then showed the rest next month.

True especially when you consider that the general public still has a semi sour taste from the PT. But I also think they are doing it since they are self aware enough to know it's a losing battle to try and keep this stuff "exclusive". It's going to come out so why not release it to everyone and keep the fans anticipation at a fever pitch?

8. ManaByte

Aug 20, 1998

No it didn't. D23 isn't Hall H where everyone has a camera. They confiscate cameras and seal phones before you go in.

9. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002

Yeah it did. Marvel had to whack-a-mole to get it down like they always do. I remember seeing the GOTG clip within a couple hours. Ditto the TDKR airplane scene. I even had it saved on my computer for a time.

If there is a will, there is a way in today's society. Besides the last thing you want to do is upset fans when you have a lot of positive mojo going. Either you release a clip/trailer to everyone (though I am fine with them waiting a bit and having the D23ers see it first) or you don't at all.

10. ManaByte

Aug 20, 1998

Those were SDCC clips. There was no TDKR airplane scene at D23.

11. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Maybe they show the trailer at D23, and the rest of us don´t see it until October. Justin Lasata is claiming the trailer does not come out until Oct 23. But, to be honest, I don´t trust that guy one bit.

12. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    I don't think that anyone actually believes that there will only be one trailer.

Who is Justin Lasata? October 23 is just plain stupid. Talking about pissing off an entire fan base and then some, especially if they show something to the D23 attendees and Force Friday is September 4. Piss poor marketing if they ever did that.

13. Captain Phasma

Captain Phasma Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 4, 2015
    I haven't really been following the last few pages of this thread, but I feel like they'll debut the trailer at D23, and then release it to the public on Force Friday a few weeks later. I think they might show the audience an exclusive clip as well if that is the case. Then possibly another trailer at the tail end of October.

14. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    well to be fair even the guy from Cinelinx who's more trustworthy also said he's been hearing October.:)

15. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    A music video with a new theme would be nice. Or a short look at Snoke or Maz in their final screen forms.

Howard Hand and Darth_Bertie like this.
  16. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Yeah October is a good time for the last trailer or second-to-last trailer, but certainly not the next one.

17. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Yep, I´m 100% sure there will be something.

18. ManaByte

Aug 20, 1998
    Some facts:

1. The D23 Expo Live Action panel takes place on Saturday August 15 in Hall D23, which holds 7,500 people. In comparison, Hall H at SDCC holds 5,000. There will be 1,500 more people in Hall D23 than Hall H.
    2. Some people are being contacted by people whose job it is to ensure good coverage of certain movies to make sure that they will not miss the Star Wars presentation at D23.
    3. The behind the scenes footage they showed at SDCC was not produced for the convention. It was made for the TFA wrap party and Lucasfilm basically pulled it off the shelf so they had something to show to Hall H at SDCC.

They aren't going to show 7,500 a video they showed at SDCC and has been on YouTube for a month by the time of D23. They're also not going to end a two-hour presentation with stills on the screen, especially after both Disney and Marvel will be showing never-before-seen trailers and footage. They're going to have people walking out of Hall D23 buzzing about how they saved the best for last (Star Wars). Likewise they wouldn't be ensuring people didn't miss the panel if they were just showing stills.

The revelation that the behind the scenes video was really months old and made for the wrap party gives weight to the rumor that SDCC was kind of a last-minute decision to show something, but they didn't spend time making something new because the "big guns" are being saved for D23 (just like Marvel).

Again, I'm not saying there is a trailer. But they will show something aside from stills on the screen.

19. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  20. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    if not a trailer isn't footage the only thing big enough left, everything else would be just SDCC 2.0 (since they did also show stills there).

maybe we'll also get some talk about the most important thing....story.

21. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Well theey can do a cast reveal for Rogue One. I mean u figure marvel is showing Civil War Footage and probably actual costume reveals for Black panther and S piderman ,

TheBBP and starocean90 like this.
  22. ManaByte

Aug 20, 1998
    Marvel showed the Black Panther costume in October.

23. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I'm hoping for Doctor Strange's costume.

24. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012

they showed concept that is not the same.

Strange starts filming when?

25. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    I honestly just want to know what Belle's gown looks like in the upcoming live action beauty and the beast.

What? Were you expecting me to say something marvel related? :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.