Star Wars at the Ball Park!!!!! Aug 19th

Discussion in 'Grand Rapids, MI' started by TX0338, Jun 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TX0338 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hey Troopers and Non-Troopers,

TD-1044 and I have been in contact with the Game day Operations manager for the West Michigan WHITECAPS. They would REALLY love us to make an appearance at the Aug 19th evening game. They want us there SO much that they want to make that day STAR WARS day at the ballpark. The game starts at 7pm and afterwards there will be a fireworks show. After the fireworks are over they are going to open up the field to anyone who wishes to stay and play STAR WARS: A New Hope on their big screen.

Brent (TD-1044) and I have set up a meeting with the Game day Operations manager to discuss what all they want us to do and what all we CAN do. After this meeting we will post more information pertaining to ways that we can raise charity funds while at the Ballpark and other stuff like that.

Let us know if you would be interested so that we have an idea of how many people we can expect.

****** AT A GLANCE ******

Date/Time:
    August 19th (TIME is TBD) Arrive at park at 3pm Game Starts @ 7pm

Who is invited?
    Everyone... With or without a costume. We will most likely need non-costumed help for this event. 501st/Rebel Legion and Fan Force

-----UPDATE NOTES 8-10-06----

Topics discussed and Okayed.

1. Large room to change and store totes.
    Mickey said we could use the Whitecaps' main office to dress and store totes.

2. Will there be bottled water/Gatorade made available for troopers needing to replenish?
    Mickey said the Whitecaps will provide us with a cooler full of bottled water and other drinks. It'll be kept in the area we dress and store totes.

3. Will the Whitecaps promote the event and do 'mentions' of the 501st during games?
    Mickey said the Whitecaps will start doing 'mentions' about the event and posting our logo on the big screen to generate interest.

4. Darth Vader tossing out the ceremonial first pitch.
    Mickey suggested we have every 501st member in costume be on the field to throw out a first pitch.
    Members of the Whitecaps team will catch the pitches.

5. Allow for a display/photo space area on the concourse for us to use.
    Mickey said he?d look into setting aside an area for this. Somewhere on the first or third base side of the concourse.

6. Troopers should begin arriving at 5/3rd Ballpark around 3pm Saturday, August 19th. The Whitecaps will provide us with food and at that time we'll finalize things.
    Mickey says fans start arriving at the ballpark around 5:30pm to see batting practice.
    Troopers should be in costume around 5:00pm and head to their assigned locations
    Mickey will let us know when troopers will be needed for on-field, between-inning games with kids.

7. Star Wars Trivia questions will be made available on the big screen between certain innings.
    Mickey approved this during lunch but said we can't do it in between every inning.

8. Money for charity.
    Mickey has left this entirely up to us to decide. I will begin contacting my charity contacts.

9. Tickets and parking passes.
    Mickey said none of the costumers will run into issues with tickets or parking if they arrive at 3pm.

We'll need to compile a list of all the costumers who commit to do the 8/19 event and provide that to Mickey. That way if some of us arrive late, the parking/ticket attendants can just cross you off the list and all should be good.

We are going to try and do a photo booth but we still need to work out the logistics. The park is being very flexible and is willing to help us out with almost anything we need.

-------------------------------------

For those of you who would like to stay in the area after the event on the 19th....

Brent and I are going to open our homes to costumers who
    don't want to make long drives home after the event.

We will provide mapquest photo copies of directions from the
    Ballpark to each of our homes.

Costumers won't have to stay for the movie if they don't want to.

Once the game ends and the fireworks begin, we can shed
  2. LeiaSkywalker4 Jedi Master

star 4
    *This Jedi slowly raises her hand looking around the room to see if the people that make fun of us Jedi are looking.*[face_laugh]Put me on your list TX0338.
  3. jabba974 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Is this just for troopers, or can us jedi participate in costume too???

anyway it would be fun to see star wars on the big screen again!
  4. TX0338 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Everyone is welcome to join us! If you want to help in or out of costume it is up to you. We need as many of each as we can get!

Later,
    Donavon
  5. TK-619 Jedi Padawan

i would love to help out with this event!!! if my costume isn't done, i'll just go in a star wars volunteer t-shirt, but this really sounds exciting! i'll talk to one of my friends about helping out as well!

~Craig
  6. lovelucas Force Ghost

star 4
    I will be there (Bail to Mas Amedda)in costume (Jedi) or out, however you need me.
  7. TX0338 Jedi Knight

star 1
    awesome... we will need as much help as we can get. I will update the list by the end of the week.

Thanks,
    Donavon
  8. TK-619 Jedi Padawan

so my friend already has the day requested off work for a different event, so he can't make it. i'll be at work tomorrow morning so i can request it off then.
  9. Count_Scoobith Jedi Knight

star 3
    This is so awesome. :cool:
    I should be a go. =D=
    Is there going to be a cut off for to many costumers / helpers?
  10. TX0338 Jedi Knight

star 1
    We are hoping to get as many costumers/non-costumers as we can get. Our goal is at least 25 people. If we can get that, we will be Golden! If not... we will work with what we get. We will for sure have a Vader and a few Troopers and Jedi. So we have already covered the basic characters. Now it's time to flesh out our group!

Later,
    Donavon
  11. sportsanchor Jedi Padawan

I can't begin to put into words how big this event could become if enough troopers commit.
    The Whitecaps are expecting a minimum of 11,000 fans to this baseball game because it's a Saturday night and they're having fireworks afterwords. Then a chance to lay under the stars on the left-field lawn and watch "Star Wars: A New Hope" on the stadium big-screen monitor??!! Are you freakin' kidding me??!!...

Sign-up!
    Believe me, we'll find a role for you.

Brent
    TD-1044
  12. sportsanchor Jedi Padawan

I can't begin to put into words how big this event could become if enough troopers commit.
    The Whitecaps are expecting a minimum of 11,000 fans to this baseball game because it's a Saturday night and they're having fireworks afterwords. Then a chance to lay under the stars on the left-field lawn and watch "Star Wars: A New Hope" on the stadium big-screen monitor??!! Are you freakin' kidding me??!!...

Sign-up!
    Believe me, we'll find a role for you.

Brent
    TD-1044
  13. Count_Scoobith Jedi Knight

star 3
    Well it?s official. I?m 100% good to go, but on the other hand I?ll miss the sunfield farmer?s picnic, which that?s a sacrifice I?ll have to make. ;)
    Dooku is in, and I?ll finally get to meet some of you guys. :D
  14. LeiaSkywalker4 Jedi Master

star 4
    Not to get off topic here, but I need to welcome sportsanchor to the GRFF. And we get two posts from sportsanchor.[face_laugh]

Now on with the thread.
  15. M1B4K4TIES Jedi Padawan

Oh, I'm there! I live about three miles from the park.

Awesome!
  16. lovelucas Force Ghost

star 4
    Any thoughts about opening this up to the other Michigan FF - Detroit and Bay City?? Perhaps even Indiana, Illinois? Midwesterners all.

The chance to see ANH on a giant screen under the stars? Plus all for a good cause?
  17. TX0338 Jedi Knight

star 1
    This is open to anyone and everyone if you want to post a link to this somewhere else feel free.

Thanks,
    Donavon
  18. TX0338 Jedi Knight

star 1
    If you don't see your name on the list let me know and I will add it.

Thanks,
    Donavon
  19. VADER674 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hey Donovan you got my kids in costume as well.
    Amanda - Jiana Solo
    Kassi - Padme Battle costume
    Rowan - Dark Jedi
    My wife Jen is coming as non costume support.
  20. lovelucas Force Ghost

star 4
    This is open to anyone and everyone if you want to post a link to this somewhere else feel free.

Thanks,
    Donavon

Posted link and info to MidWest plus local individual FF.
    Since we have committments already from some of the Detroit FF I didn't post there.
    Did post to:
    Bay City
    Local cities in Indiana and Illinois
  21. LeiaSkywalker4 Jedi Master

star 4
    Thats okay lovelucas I posted at the Detroit Fan Force.
  22. jabba974 Jedi Knight

star 2
    I can't belive how incredibly busy this summer is turning out to be!!!
    I haven't had anytime to my self in 6 weeks! I just got the date to my best friends wedding, guess what date that falls on? I'll give you a hint there's a baseball game that day!
    also that day is my grandparents 55 anniversary, not to mention that the warehouse that my store buys it's parts from, wants me to go other stores, in other states to show them how to sell there products! so much for any work getting down around my house this summer.

P.S. I even missed Sci-Fi Friday:_|
  23. LeiaSkywalker4 Jedi Master

star 4
    One month until the event and its going to be great. Lets hope the weather holds out as in no rain and none of that hot, hot, humid weather either. Any updates TX0338?
  24. TX0338 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Small information update 7-21-06 Check first post...

Later,
    Donavon
  25. claycmu Jedi Padawan

I would like to join the baseball night, but if some of the "Vaders" out there can answer my other post, that would be a big help. THen I can finalize my 501st registration. my coustume is all very real, except the $100 helmet, the MR is backorder.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.