main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DFW, TX Star Wars at the Brooklyn Museum of Art

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by Master_of_Metropolis, Apr 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_of_Metropolis

Master_of_Metropolis Jedi Youngling

Apr 4, 2002
    Hey all...
    I went to the Star Wars exhibit at the Brooklyn Museum the other day while in NYC. It was really cool, and was glad to see the original costumes up-close. It answered alot of my own questions. The only thing I was disapointed in was that they didn't show the Jedi costumes from TPM. I still have some questions on how they were built, and how they layer onto one another.

They did have Darth Maul's costume, and it was much more detailed than you would think by looking at it on screen.

If you're in NYC, I highly recommend going!
    Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures. But if anyone has any questions, pertaining to the exhibit, I'll be happy to answer.

I know that it runs through July, and after May 16, they will add Ep. 2 stuff to the exhibit.

2. Nabooty_Call

Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 11, 2000
    Thanks for the info, Metro! One more reason to visit NYC :)

3. DarthCynthia

DarthCynthia Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 18, 2000
    Yeah I checked it out when it was in Houston.. had a blast! And me being a huge Maul fan I spent a lot of time staring at that exhibit of his... LOL!!

4. jedilona

jedilona Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2000
    Now I HAVE to plan that trip to NYC...
    :)

5. DarthCynthia

Nov 18, 2000
    Girrrrrrrrrrrl... I thought you were!!! ;) Get goin'!! What.. you think you're taking enough trips this year or what?

LMAO!! *hugs* ;) jk!! :D

6. Obi_Bamm_Karaoke

Obi_Bamm_Karaoke Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 19, 2000
    As long as our Jedilona will be here in May. This is required.

7. jedilona

jedilona Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2000
    Of course I will be :D

Cynth,I know I had better get a move on with the NY trip (even my MOTHER is wondering what's taking me so long to get on over there to see it)

8. DarthCynthia

Nov 18, 2000
    Jedilona, LOL!! Yeah... better get movin', then :) Seriously, it's a blast. Bring a camera (I think I showed you my page of photos?) in case you see some costumes you want to make from it :D

9. Master_of_Metropolis

Apr 4, 2002
    Yes...very cool and worth the trip. I've already started sketches for a costume (or two) I'm gonna make!

10. DarthCynthia

Nov 18, 2000
    excellent! What are you making? :D

11. Master_of_Metropolis

Apr 4, 2002
    Definately making jedi garb...with my own personal touches, and an Imperial Officer uniform--I just have to find the right wool, and the stuff needed for insignia, and etc. (Any suggestions for the latter?) When I'm done, I'll post pics... :)

See ya..

12. DarthCynthia

Nov 18, 2000
    Sounds great! Post pictures when you get a chance :D I'd love to see them!

As far as the insignia.. I've seen some people use wood, but unless done right it's not as nice... I've seen threads in other prop places in the past but since I don't intend to do any officer stuff, I really haven't paid much attention to it. If I find some info, I'll try to post it here for you :D

I've been working on a royal guard for a while - bought a dremel (my first! LOL!) and cleared out the eye area of the helmet... I haven't done anymore work on it because I want to finish my cloak before painting it and replacing the visor. I have the inner robe, but I've lost some weight (and will be losing more) and want to redo the sleeves so they're not as loose. I am going to try to hook up with a seamstress to help me do the outercloak (I'm not using velvet, however) because I pretty much just started to learn how to sew. I had come SO close to getting the cloak to perfection but there was one little thing I didn't know what to do with so I decided to just wait until I had more experienced help :D The forcepike, I'll be getting help with that from a propmaker in the area who is also a sandtrooper. It won't be totally screen-accurate, because I love the look of the AS Handwheel (used on some lightsabers) and I want to use that as the pommel. I already have my gloves and boots and even an EP I droid blaster if I want to make a holster for it later on.

Anyway.. if I come across any good information, I'll post it on the board here for you :D Take care and good luck!

13. Master_of_Metropolis

Apr 4, 2002
    If you need help with the tailoring, I'll be happy to help.

14. DarthCynthia

Nov 18, 2000
    I'll keep you in mind :D thanks! It'll be a little while, still. My husband is between jobs (trying to finish some writing in the meantime ;) heheh) so we've had to clamp down on spending money on some things (collecting/costuming etc). Where are you located in the area? Just curious.. I'm in Grapevine.

btw.. I sent you two pm's.. just fyi :)

15. Master_of_Metropolis

Apr 4, 2002
    Sounds good. I'm in Oaklawn near downtown Dallas. I'm crunching on cash lately too...

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.