main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Star Wars: Attack of the Clones" by R.A. Salvatore [Del Rey, 2002]

Discussion in 'Archive: Literature Review Forum' started by Errant_Venture, Feb 7, 2004.

?

"Star Wars: Attack of the Clones" by R.A. Salvatore [Del Rey, 2002]

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. 10 (Excellent)

41.1%
  2. 9

14.7%
  3. 8

14.7%
  4. 7

11.6%
  5. 6 (Average)

2.1%
  6. 5 (Average)

4.2%
  7. 4

2.1%
  8. 3

2.1%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1 (Poor)

7.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
  2. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Star Wars: Attack of the Clones by R.A. Salvatore.

[image=http://www.theforce.net/books/images/aotc-novelization.jpg]

Synopsis

The Republic is failing, even under the leadership of Supreme Chancellor Palpatine, elected ten years earlier to save the crumbling government. Separatists threaten war, and the Senate is hopelessly divided, unable to determine whether to raise an army for battle or keep the fragile peace. It is a stalemate that once broken, could lead to galactic chaos.

Mischievous and resolved, courageous to the point of recklessness, Anakin Skywalker has come of age in a time of great upheaval. The nineteen-year-old apprentice to Obi-Wan Kenobi is an enigma to the Jedi Council, and a challenge to his Jedi Master. Time has not dulled Anakin?s ambition, nor has his Jedi training tamed his independent streak. When an attempt on Senator Padmé Amidala?s life brings them together for the first time in ten years, it is clear that time also has not dulled Anakin?s intense feelings for the beautiful diplomat.

The attack on Senator Amidala just before a crucial vote thrusts the Republic even closer to the edge of disaster. Masters Yoda and Mace Windu sense enormous unease. The dark side is growing, clouding the Jedi?s perception of the events. Unbeknownst to the Jedi, a slow rumble is building into the roar of thousands of soldiers readying for battle. But even as the Republic falters around them, Anakin and Padmé find a connection so intense that all else begins to fall away. Anakin will lose himself?and his way?in emotions a Jedi, sworn to hold allegiance only to the Order, is forbidden to have.

3. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    I'm gonna give it a perfect 10.It's a great book,and you get more details then just what you see in the movie. :)

4. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    8/10

It was nice to see some scenes that weren't in the movie, like Cliegg trying to rescue Shmi, but it left out a ton of other stuff. The details in the end battle were sorely lacking.

5. LaYa_

LaYa_ Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 21, 2003
    I give it 10. It's great! :D

6. MyEternalRest

MyEternalRest Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 24, 2002
    I give it an 8. Not as good as the novelization of TPM but none the less it should be accepted as the definitive version of the events covered AOTC. The deleted scenes are of course included and we also get additional dialouge in the scenes that are seen in the movie. Also we get some tender father-son moments between Jango and Bobba that can only be found in the book as I do not believe they are even in the script. There are more scenes like the one above that appear to be exclusive to the book. One is a conversation between Sola and Padme, Anakin's nightmare while en route to Ansion, we get to see Anakin slide down an elevator tunnel to reach the level where he gets his hot rod speeder(There was an interesting tid-bit in this part with the elevator door not opening and Anakin pounding at it and one of the elderly people also inside places a hand on Anakin's shoulder and pointed to the button marked 'open'. Upon this Anakin smiles a sheepish smile.), Anakin's nightmare while en route to Naboo, and many more.

P.S. Little thing I liked was the realism added to the Geonosis arena scene, R.A. Salvatore describes Obi-Wan and Mace as caked with dirt, sweat, and blood. [face_devil]

7. hansen

hansen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    I gave it a 7, the ending feels too rushed.

8. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I agree with Bib. The book was pretty good, but there was a lot lacking in the last battle scene.

9. neeldawg66

neeldawg66 Jedi Master star 8

Mar 21, 2002

Could've been better if more detail was added and the battle scene were more expanded upon. Enjoyed the stuff that wasn't in the movie though.

10. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I read it before I saw the movie.

At the time I thought it was the greatest ever. I don't know how much of this opinion came from the fact that I was reading GL's story before I saw the film.

11. QuiDonJinn

QuiDonJinn Jedi Youngling

Apr 14, 2004
    I to read it before the movie, as I did also with The Phantom Menace. If you dont then you will miss a few things. I noticed in both films that some scenes are seamlessly attached to scenes in the books. And they will say things that dont have really as much meaning unless you read the book. I think I may have like The Phantom Menace book a little bit better but since I love them both so much it would be hard to say. But the part in the beggining of the Phantom Menace book that has little Anakin taking care of a wounded Tuskin Raider makes the events in Episode 2 that much more interesting. Also their is a follow-up to his slaughtering of that tribe of Tuskin in a recent issue of Star Wars Republic that makes him face what he has done. It involves one of my favorite Jedi A'Sharad Hett. The issue is #59.

12. andre

andre Jedi Youngling

Jul 11, 1999
    It helped define so many aspects in a new light from the movie that I missed. I loved it. But it also failed to examine the battle of geonosis from a perspective I would have liked...

There are aspects only the film can carry, and plenty only the book can dream up.

8, I greatly enjoyed it. And of all the novelizations I've read so far, II IV V, I've enjoyed this one the most.

13. Darth_Tynaus

Darth_Tynaus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2003
    I gave it a ten for it was very entertaining and it filled a fe gaps. Plus R.A. Salvatore is one of my favorite authors.

14. Predator150

Predator150 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 2, 2004
    I also gave it an 10/10, awesome story.

The film was great, but the novel fills in all those gaps and gives you more detail, making the film, I feel, even better.

15. LukeSkiwalker

LukeSkiwalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 3, 2004
    It was a fun to read book I read it three times before the movie came to theaters. I don't know if that's what ruined the movie or if it was just plain bad. It was wAAAAAAAAAy better than the movie

16. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    I think the story gets a 10 out of 10. But since that credit goes to George Lucas, I can't give the book this.

Instead I gave it a 1. Perhaps a 2. The battle scenes were terribly written. It truly seemed like he was rushing to get done with the battle of Geonosis at the end. Not enough detail there. So much potential wasted.

I liked the intro with Padme and Panaka, but that's the only credit I'll give the book.

I couldn't stand reading the name Uv Gizen when over a year before the book came out, the name was changed to Sly Moore. While Salvatore did make changes to the book to keep up with the current script, he didn't pay attention to the details.

17. DarthMatter

DarthMatter Jedi Master star 3

Jul 12, 2004
    9 for me. There are many scenes which expand the story, just as the TPM novel has, but I agree with others, that the ending seems a little rushed when compared to the careful buildup of character through out the book. Compared to watching the film, which really accents "reel 6", the book accents more of the middle story. Still, it's a great read and gives you much more background on events than you can get from the DVD and extras.

18. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    9 Only thing I didn't like was the Geonosis battle.

19. JediPriestess

JediPriestess Jedi Master star 4

Jul 28, 2004
    Gave it a 10.

20. lightsaber_wielder

lightsaber_wielder Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2002
  21. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Nine, it jumps around too much to not stay true to the movie. Then we have chapters about Boba's birthday. Luckily, we do have the cut scenes from the Naberrie Homestead on Naboo. The beginning was a poor approach starting the story with Shmi, already revealing herself to be the wife of Cliegg and is already kidnapped, losing all suspense later in the novel. Otherwise it's pretty good and that's saying someting since this is the same guy who wrote Vector Prime.

22. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    I gave it an 8/10.

I enjoy that Salvatore explored most of the characters a little more in depth. I like that he managed to take scenes that seemed a bit awkward movie-wise and helped expand them to be more understandable with the addition of narrative voice. I especially like his extended development of Anakin's relationships with Obi Wan and Padme, and I really loved the Boba/Jango father/son scenes. However, his writing style felt a little too forward at times, and it jumped around. He included a few deleted scenes that I felt were better left deleted, since they simply dragged repetitively throughout the novel. But over all, pretty darn good.

23. DarthAJ

DarthAJ Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2004
    I loved this Book!!

The fight scenes were hard to follow.

though i loved the extra scenes of shmi and padme
    i could feel their emmotions

10!

24. Cloned_Sidious

Cloned_Sidious Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 14, 2004
    I think it is excellent.

25. Ki-Adi-Matt

Ki-Adi-Matt Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 28, 2004
    There weren't that many fights or battle i thought it was pretty average, not good, not bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.