main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Star Wars Battlefront 1 (Original from back in the day) versus new Battlefronts

Discussion in 'Games' started by DarthTalonx, Jan 10, 2018.

?

Which is the better game (GAMEPLAY WISE), the Original or the new one?

1. Star Wars Battlefront (2004)

2. Star Wars Battlefront 2 (2017)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2014
    I am amazed by how playable the original Battlefront (from 2004 I think) is. It's such a great game and still plays well over and over. Instant Action, story mode etc. And you can be any soldier at ANY time. And you feel like one of them. Crush the enemy yourself, or with an army behind you.

The new games graphically are outstanding. But given it's 2017, that is to be expected. I kinda feel they should have just called them Star Wars Battlefield and avoided any "Imperial entanglements". Because they don't really continue the Battlefront legacy?

I mean if they remade the originals and upped the graphics, that would be one epic game.

For starters:
    1. In the old game (I'm talking about Battlefront 1 which with sprint mode and space would be superior to Battlefront 2 I reckon as the AI in the second was more against the player versus making you feel immersed), you had more troopers active at one time.
    2. Maps were large and you had genuinely large battles
    3. Battles felt like real war, chaotic and choke points
    4. Freedom to do whatever you want - Jump into any vehicle that is unoccupied (friendly or foe) at ANY time and jump out again.
    5. Interact with map much better
    6. No rails, do what you like whenever you like.
    7. Genuinely varied battles - to this day, you can play the same battle 10 times, and have played a different battle.
    8. Genuine dread hearing the droideka unfurl, or the Jedi hero running at you.
    9. You can order troops to follow etc.
    10. So immersive and larger battlefront.

The new game feels too restrictive. Graphics are beyond amazing (I guess someone looking at it in 2027 will not think so, but today it looks good). But:
    1. Too many rails
    2. No freedom to do what you like
    3. NO OFFLINE play?? In the old Battlefront you can do all your coop, multiplayer, and instant acton offline. Not everyone or every country has easy internet for gaming, not to mention you have to pay
    4. Unit classes etc make it too complicated and uneven. In the old game, you don't have to earn the right to be a droideka or be a Heavy Duty Trooper.
    5. The story mode, was made out to be amazing in the trailer, and kinda disappoints. Where was the peacekeeping Empire resisting an extreme wing emergent First Order?
    6. I'm not keen on the voice overs. In the original Battlefront, you pretty much had movie accurate immersion by way of either the actors' or similar sounding voices for the characters. (This is where Battlefront 2 - the old one - messed up by not using the Clone Voice from Episodes 2 and 3). So in the game you had authentic Stormtrooper, Clone Trooper, Droid, Rebel voices. I want to hear someone say "Rebel scum" one day though. But in the new Battlefront, I feel like the OT era is covered, but the Clone Wars era, why did they not use the MOVIE clones? It doesn't feel right. See when you play Star Wars Republic Heroes, and play as the cartoon clones, it fits. But in this game, supposedly to immerse you in the movies, then it is so out of place?

Disappointed in that it feels like you get an incomplete game with less features despite being made almost 15 years later?

The good though is awesome graphics and it's great to have a Star Wars game. But I don't think it should be called Star Wars Battlefront. Call it something else. And please please give us the game that you showed us in the trailer with Iden being a good guy (i.e. taking out Rebel scum). My suggestion would be her fighting an Imperial Civil War against a faction that wants to become the First Order. And the old Empire resisting such uncivilised people.

Anyhow, Battlefront the original rocked! The glory days and what a game, thoughts people?

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  2. DarthTalonx

Nov 12, 2014
  3. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Host of Star Wars Character Contest star 6 VIP - Game Host

Sep 30, 2012
    Definitely the originals.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  4. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Just installed the original Battlefront 1 and 2 on my PC and it's just the best

5. DarthTalonx

Nov 12, 2014
    I know right? If they just restored Battlefront I (2004) with 2018 graphics, ULTIMATE GAME!!

They are so re-playable and you get a different battle every time.

Battlefront I was and remains epic. It's honestly incredibly immersive right?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018 at 11:12 AM
  6. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I played the original game once, years after it was released when I was in a Star Wars mood and looking to catch up on a game I had missed. Which is to say that I hold no nostalgia for this game at all. I didn't think much of it. The graphics looked bad obviously, but I found the gameplay to be shallow and unremarkable. What I do remember of it was that there was very little weight to the animations or movement. Lots of this bizarre and unrealistic left and right strafing. Everything's done at this sort of hyperspeed, seemingly to make it feel more fast paced and exciting.

7. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    The originals, while not perfect, have one major factor that neither BF 2015, or BF 2017 managed to include.

FUN!

The new games lack fun. Never once was I frustrated or angry playing either original BF game. I can not say the same for the "sequels."

lookameatbag likes this.
  8. Outsourced

Outsourced Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 10, 2017
    Gungan Hunt in Theed.

Jar-Jars Vs. Battle Droids

Jar-Jars have 20 grenades each.

Chaos.

9. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Host of Star Wars Character Contest star 6 VIP - Game Host

Sep 30, 2012
    I loved having your own solo battles in instant action on full maps. The ones in Battlefront II are on small maps and just not very fun.

10. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2013
    The original Battlefront 2 is my all time favourite game and I still plug the PS2 back in and play it sometimes, though my copy has gotten a bit scratched over the years so the music goes a bit weird on it. I still like the new games but they just can't compare to the Pandemic ones. Then again though it's also worth pointing out that the originals also have the nostalgia factor and memories for me and most people that played them, so no matter how good the EA ones are they'll never be able to compete in that regard.

11. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2014
    This is what I miss most from the original BF2 game.

Gee, what an innovative concept; LANDING A SPACECRAFT!

lookameatbag likes this.