main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Star Wars: Battlefront (2015) & Battlefront 2 (2017) [Mod Approved]

Discussion in 'Community' started by IG_2000, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Just thought I'd share this interesting video. It's a little over an hour, so I watched glimpses of it here and there. But you can understand the effort DICE put into Battlefront to give the level of detail that many people playing the game take for granted.

2. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    No one has taken the graphics for granted. It's just that when it comes to a video game, they should not be the focus. The gameplay to this day is still painfully generic and still lacks the variety it very much needed at launch.

Plus, it's hard to see much of this detail when you are being constantly shot at. DICE needs to stop focusing so much on the graphics.

3. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I remember when the game was showcased at celebration one of the developers said "The amount of detail in this game is amazing, you'll find yourself exploring the environments to look at all the little nooks and crannies"

Even then I was like how am I going to explore when I've got 20 people shooting at me when my back is turned and a radio constantly telling me to follow the objective?

Padme501st, he-guy and Mr. Forest like this.
  4. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    If it's graphics they want, just let them loose with an Animated series.

Really why not? The game is so so realistic that an animated series would look great.

As long as the story was good enough, Alexander Freeman steps in then I can't see any problems.

SilentGuy66 and Mr. Forest like this.
  5. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    It's not the same. Video game graphics and animated series graphics are completely different. To make a weekly show look that good would have an insane budget. Animated films have budgets of almost $200m for an hour and a half/two hours of runtime. To make ten hours of a TV series would inflate that to well over 500m, the returns wouldn't be worth it. Doing it for a game is different. You animate it once and implement it in the game, you don't have to constantly keep doing new things each week. When people kept saying this when TOR cine antics were released and wanted a series like that, I facepalmed... Those cinematics easily cost well over an entire season of TCW and Rebels, and for a 5 minute cinematic. And TCW was very expensive for a TV show, a million per episode, probably more later on. So if a million dollars per episode is considered expensive, imagine a photorealistic animated series and its budget.

6. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

I highly doubt any animated TV shows count on the same returns that a game would. It's probably not even close. We're talking about advertising money. That's not the same thing as generated sales from physical copies of a game.

StarWarsFreak93 likes this.
  7. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Kynirin and Ahsoka's Tano like this.
  8. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Death Star is going to be so kriffing amazing... And you get to play as R2 during phase 2!! One of the devs confirmed it in the live stream. And Wedge and Biggs will be Luke's wingmen!

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  9. DarthAnakin96

DarthAnakin96 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 5, 2016
    This is the kind of gameplay I wanted from the beginning! Now I'm glad I bought the season pass.

10. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I'm still waiting for an opportunity to test the Bespin and eventually Death Star maps.

11. Kynirin

Kynirin Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 16, 2015
    That's already tomorrow for Bespin. :) August the 19th to the 21st. (http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront/live-events) I remembered vaguely that it would be somewhere around this time, so I had to check. Haven't played in a little while again, so this might be a good time to get back to the battle.

12. Vib3s

Vib3s Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2014
    Well, you could see that coming from miles away. At Battlefront's launch and the subsequent frustration it created when it became clear that no space battles would be in the base game because of various non-convincing (even laughable) reasons by the developers, it was obvious that it would come in some DLC form later on. Despite them putting up the smokescreen... Lo and behold, it did. Ofcourse it did. EA strategy coming into action again. :rolleyes:

13. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

That's cool. I played the game for about an hour last night. Had the "win three hero battles" challenge, so I figured I'd break from my norm and play that mode for a little while. I did pretty good, mostly as Boba and Vader. When I play that mode, I know I'm not great with any particular character, so I'd typically choose a different character each match when the heroes are available. Gives the teammates a chance to try someone else.

14. srg

srg Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 26, 2016
    Just bought the Ultimate Edition on sale. Can't wait to find out if the matchmaking problems on PC are myth or truth. I'll have to request a refund if there indeed are issues... I hope it's not that bad!

15. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Tried the Bespin maps on the free trial that's on now. Sabotage is fun as the Empire but not so much playing as the Rebels, as most of the time the Imperials will swarm the extraction point at the end and win. Still I'm making the most of the trial as I like all the maps in the DLC.

16. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

I'm gonna try it a little tonight; I don't have any of the DLC maps, and definitely want to test them all before considering buying the Season Pass.

17. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Sorry for double-post, but I couldn't wait. I played the Bespin maps a little bit tonight. The environments are cool, but I didn't really like the new Sabotage mode. There was one player on the opposing team who had about 30 kills, and everyone else had less than 10. Newbies on a mode like that get slaughtered, and it ruins the fun. I enjoyed Fighter Squadron on Bespin, however. The Cloud Cars are...interesting; although I don't see why anyone would want to pick them over the A or X wings. They're slower and have a lower rate of fire.

Grievousdude likes this.
  18. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Loving the Bespin maps which are free this weekend. Aesthetically they're gorgeous.

19. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    The carbon freezing chamber is a genuinely cool map. Graphically it's amazing. I like the Administrators Palace as well.

But the outdoor large maps are really just stark and boring. Steps and a bunch of rooms with 4 doors. Not very inspiring, and way too sterile looking.

20. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

I didn't even get to see the carbon freezing chamber. I played it for a couple hours over the weekend during the free trial. It's nice that they include the familiar Cloud City theme to it. Makes you feel like you're in the movie.

21. vw_jedi

Feb 18, 2002
    That's lame! It's really the best looking of all the maps imho.

22. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

We'll I'm really looking forward to trying the Death Star map.

23. vw_jedi

Feb 18, 2002
    i was speaking strictly of the Bespin maps. Not the game in it's entirety.

Death Star should be interesting though. I used to enjoy he DS maps in BF 2. Hoping they do them justice.

24. he-guy

he-guy RMFF CR star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    Are you guys interested in the new death-star mode? Now that it's been announced I'm not so sure I want to fly then play inside then fly again. I'd rather just stay inside the Death Star and Capture the Flag or something.

25. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I'm still sore we're not getting Tarkin as a playable hero I mean he makes more sense than Bossk and Dengar #Dicedon'tthinkthingsout