main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Star Wars: Battlefront (2015) & Battlefront 2 (2017) [Mod Approved]

Discussion in 'Community' started by IG_2000, Jun 10, 2013.

1. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Customization is overhauled with the new dlc. For rebels you can switch heads/faces with different uniforms including new pilot and officer ones. So you can now have a twilek face on a pilot uniform.

Likewise for imperials helmetless stormtroopers have been removed, officers, Death Star troopers have been added as have pauldron colours.

Overall should add more depth and variety in appearances.

DarthAnakin96 likes this.
  2. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014

That's pretty cool. Twi'lek on a pilot's uniform? Hmm, now where have I seen that before?

[​IMG]

3. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Played this DLC for an hour and a half and let's just say I'm no hurry to come back to it.

Chewie's fur looks laughably bad. The new mode is mostly for fighter squadron buffs and while the customisation is neat it isn't really fair to casual players like myself. It's like sure sure you can give your rodion a pilot outfit...............but only if you have 25000 spare credits and are at level 80. Oh and my stormtrooper (I'm level 48) is now permanently female until I kill 20 hours of gameplay to get the shadowtrooper :_|

DarthAnakin96 and draw73 like this.
  4. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    Agreed. If you like FS, this is your DLC. Otherwise, it's meh. They made the Death Star feel small. Which is bad.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  5. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I guess I can appreciate this DLC probably more than others because of the FS mode. I'd like to see some video of the new customization options. I'm level 65. Have a Twi'lek for my Rebels character, and a helmet-less female stormtrooper with a black ponytail.

B99 likes this.
  6. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    Unless you LOVE Fighter Squadron, this DLC is very underwhelming. Tano, you would likely love it though. Lol..

I have a theory about DLC and Battlefront in general. Been thinking of it for a while, but the battle station mode really drives my theory home.

This whole game, Battlefront 1 if you will, is a giant beta test for Battlefront 2. Please here me out. One of the major complaints about this game has been how vanilla it is. How it feels like the same old FPS modes, but in Star Wars costumes. And it does, really... example, cargo is just capture the flag (in sw costumes). Blast is death match (in sw costumes). Supremacy is zone control (in sw costumes) etc. There is no context as to why we do what we do other than winning, points, k/d ratios etc... but when you think about it it's silly. For instance when in SW would there ever be three droids that must be guarded with soldiers just hovering around them (droid run)? It's all very arbitrary, and lacking in substance. i.e. does not feel the least bit immersive.

Now the original Battlefront 2 took traditional FPS modes and actually integrated them into the game in a manor where rather than being pointless, they were tasks that helped move along a narrative and campaign. Example, first map integrated zone control as you took over the battlefield, and then capture the flag as you stole a crystal power source and ran it back to your ship. Complete those tasks and the level was complete, onto the next part of the story after a cut scene that narrated more about the campaign...

When we think about the special DLC modes so far, Extraction, Sabotage, and now Battlestation, all of them had a, "device," if you will that created a task. But they were very vague. Example, extraction is something like there's some cargo that the rebellion needs in jabba's palace, you must get it out the door and to your ship (p.s. that mode is stolen from Team Fortress "cart mode" btw). In sabotage you have to turn off the generators to free your escape ships, Battle station integrates the droid run mode as well as fighter squadron as part of a three part mission...etc...

Do you see what I'm getting at here? The special DLC modes have been a test of integrating modes/devices/objectives into a story driven campaign. I have a feeling Battlefront 2 will indeed have a campaign mode or maybe multiple mini campaigns that actually utilize the devices that were tested in the DLC from BF 1, but will have a much more integrated and immersive story and reason for them.

I could be way off. But that is what I'm hoping for. because as things stand now the game looks and sounds like SW, but the feel is just still not there.

7. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Here's some video of the new DLC and patch. You're right vw, it looks like a keeper for me.

And the customization options

8. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    How long before we see a bunch of customised Rae Sloane's on the imperial team ;)

jedinightwing and Ahsoka's Tano like this.
  9. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

I haven't read the comics so I don't know her story, but if it's true you can't have any more helmet-less stormtroopers, I think I'd settle for the Imperial Officer uniform.

10. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Yeah I'm aiming for an imperial officer. I agree with VW in that they threw everything at the wall for EABF1 to see what worked and what didn't. This game now has an extraordinary amount of modes which are unecceasary. A while back I suggested that #2 will be better as they will have dropped dead weight modes and refined better ones such as WA, extraction etc.

I am loving the DLC though. So much fun both on and around the DS.

11. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

Well one turnoff for BF2 would be if it's just a rehash of the same more popular modes (albeit refined) on the same maps as the original; only now for an offline campaign mode. They could just as easily add a patch in a month or so from now to provide skirmish missions for the current game. Has it been official that the maps in the sequel game will only be from the new trilogy?

12. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    I played a few games of Battle Station earlier, it's a lot of fun. Serious lag drove me away in the end, hopefully that won't be an ongoing problem.

13. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    Reinstalled Battlefront to try out the Death Star DLCS. I forgot Skirmish is still a worthless mode so I tried out the online portion for the Death Star.

I hate flying in this game. The controls are terrible let and the fighters themselves just does not give me the feeling at all. Dying in a half a second makes the game feel more like the trigger happy Call of Duty gameplay than actually feeling like I am fighting a battle in space.

Finally got to ground gameplay and enjoyed it for about fifteen minutes until I felt the boredom again. Somehow everything DICE has added to the game has done little to nothing for the lack variety and depth for the gameplay. It still feels like the barebones, mediocre shooter I bought ten months ago.

To end on a positive note, the customization is better. No more helmet less stormtroopers and new skins for the imperial is a big plus. , along with being able to use any rebel head with any rebel outfit.

But alas, it is time tof uninstall the game again.

B99 and SilentGuy66 like this.
  14. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I love the new customization options!
    So is it true no more helmetless stormtroopers?

LOL Nevermind!

Really not wanting to buy the DS though.... not
    enthused..o_O

15. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I'm certainly psyched about being able to do the Trench Run. I like the FS mode, and this one looks like the most fun.

The Vanguard likes this.
  16. The Vanguard

The Vanguard Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2016
    I really liked the trench run, I found a 'TIE bomber' powerup on the surface but didn't know how to use it before I got blown up

I'm a big FS player, and I can't wait to be Red 5! Overall I really liked the Death Star DLC.

I have to echo what someone already said though, for some reason they made the Death Star feel tiny. Not cool.

Ahsoka's Tano and heels1785 like this.
  17. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

In reality, how big do you want it to be? I haven't played the new DLC yet 'cause I haven't purchased any DLC yet; but I'd imagine it's proportionate to any of the previous FS maps. It seems to be a bonus that it's somewhat expanded to actually have reason to fly closer to the ground level besides just to pick up powerups and avoid enemies.

18. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    (Some Language in vid )
    After watching HG's review, don't think i'll be getting this.
    So only 3 modes to play??
    No Cargo, Droid Run?? Lame..
    Wat u guys think of the dlc?

19. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Like I said, I'm excited on Trench Run. It all depends on if you like the FS mode or not. I'm better on the FS modes than I am on most of the ground modes.

The Vanguard and B99 like this.
  20. The Vanguard

Apr 12, 2016
    I bought the season pass so I'm playing whatever they throw at me. It could be a Gungan invasion map in Naboo and I'de still play it.
    With that said I've only had a solid 2 hours on the Death Star. (DRL has been hounding me since it came out.)

Being on the Battle Station is amazing in itself. I have died multiple times just exploring like I did on Hoth when it first came out.

The fighting mechanics remain the same from what I can tell. Not sure if they gave any weapons a boost or lower power.

The starfighting IMO has benefitted most. There is a clear difference between the TIE fighter and interceptor, and not just in appearance or sound. The secondary special weapon for the Interceptor is not the torpedoe. Also the locking mechanism seems to have a timer which keeps players from just holding down the targetting button; I believe the range is shorter on them as well, which lends to more dogfighting and less long range shootouts.

Still haven't played as Chewie or Bossk yet, I look forward to that.

The spawning is too centered on the map, makes the match go by too quickly and also makes it feel small. The TRENCH RUN, the part where you actually have to fly through the trench either in assault or pursuit - is somewhat difficult and gratifying for me.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  21. Snokers

Snokers Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2015
    Death Star just finished downloading on my PS4 tonight so had an hour or two of Battle Station play... decent, I must say! better than expected!

Why the hell does Chewie look like he's made of burnt plastic though?!...:rolleyes:

The Vanguard likes this.
  22. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

I noticed that too. You'd have thought that on the PS4 the graphics would be able to show the fur better. Look at the animals in GTA 5 for example.

The Vanguard and Snokers like this.
  23. Snokers

Snokers Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2015
    Here, here!

24. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Alright I'll say it.
    They can just repurpose this as Starkiller base!

jedinightwing likes this.
  25. The Vanguard

Apr 12, 2016