main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Star Wars: Battlefront (2015) & Battlefront 2 (2017) [Mod Approved]

Discussion in 'Community' started by IG_2000, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014

Oh yeah, the ideal scenario for sure. Payback's a ......... hehehe

2. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
  3. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

No offense, but that link really didn't tell you much. We're going to get new heroes, eras, and locations. That's not very surprising.

B99 likes this.
  4. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Supposedly was revealed we will get "Multiple" eras in the game..

5. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

Technically they have that in the game out now; considering the Scariff and Jakku maps.

6. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Yes, to play devils advocate we do already have multiple era locations. They might only focus on the OT and ST.

The realist and optimist in me however says that more than likely it will span all 3. It is just a dumb move not to. They pretty much acknowledged as much last year when they said they weren't happy with the reception it got and wanting to make good on that.

I am excited to see what's new. Like the move from BF1 to 2, if all they did was add new maps, heroes, etc and tightened controls I'd be happy.

Interested to see how they do a campaign for multiple eras though. They could do something similar to Battlefield one with several smaller stories not focusing on one particular character/faction.

What I think would be an amazing feature that would never happen would be to carry over all of EABF1 maps with a fleshed out proper skirmish mode to go alongside the new stuff. Some of the maps in this game are incredible and super fun to play. My favourites are Twilight of Hoth, Ice Caves and Walker Assault on the original Endor.

It's also been confirmed that Skirmish as a mode now, is not having any further work so those hoping DLC maps would port over, no luck.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  7. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    Planned obsolescence. How else can they force you to purchase BF 2 if the original doesn't become utterly useless once the player base diminishes to the point where finding a game is next to impossible? If they were to allow people to continue to play the maps they paid extra for with AI, many of those people may choose not to jump into BF 2. It's devious. And I assume that was alwasy the original plan in not offering robust AI modes in the first place.

8. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

Well I wasn't planning buying the sequel right away; but if they featured the PT era with my girl Tano as a hero it'd be an offer I couldn't immediately refuse.

9. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    Im disappointed but I doubt it's to force people onto the next installment. CoD and Battlefield have both shown they can sustain older games while releasing new ones. They're a business like any other. They've acknowledged their shortfalls with this entry, but as a company it's time to move on.

What it comes down to, IMO is lack of resources and time. EABF1 was rushed development, a few good ideas but not fleshed out enough because of deadlines. I'm sure the devs of given the time and resources would LOVE to flesh out a proper skirmish etc but EA has moved them onto new projects. Unfortunately new deadlines don't just stop appearing and as such they have to move on. Disappointing but a reality.

What I will say though is this - I rather the whole team focus on bunkering down on making a GREAT sequel, instead of fine tuning/rebalancing things with this one. Show that they have learnt what worked and what didn't with this one and knock the next one out of the park.

-Include the eras that were left out

-Focus on 2 or 3 core game modes instead of having the ridiculous task of managing and balancing 14. Seriously why does this game need so many? Extraction was possibly my favorite game mode but I could only play it on 3-4 maps.

-scrap the card/ token system. Scrap hutt contracts. Scrap playlists.

-Tighten controls overall so the game feels more cohesive and responsive.

Basically a good sequel for me is a refinement of what we got. I love EABF1. I have probably sunk waaaay more hours into it than other games. Improve that and I'll be happy.

Grievousdude likes this.
  10. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Yes to this, emphatically. I really didn't like the mechanic. I didn't mind the Hutt contracts though, they make you try out different weapons and tools at least. Games like this need to have some form of progression systems to keep you playing. Which is funny, around Christmas I was playing like mad, trying to reach level 40 to unlock the first batch of decent skins, and now that I've done that I've not played much at all since.

I'm against the introduction of more eras in the sequel. It's mostly practical, it divides the player base and it uses up resources that could be spent on improvement and/or refinement. All the assets created for a Geonosis map populated with geonosians, battle droids and clones can't be mixed in with assets created for the rest of the game. And judging by DICE's first attempt, this would ultimately mean that we'd have even fewer maps per era than what we have now (so potentially 2 Clone Wars maps, 2 OT maps and 2 ST maps; 6 maps is a lot more than what we started BF1 with). It's asking for us to get shafted again with another season pass to get an appropriate level of content.

And it's under a similar reasoning that I'm going to hope that starfighter battles are taken out. If you can't do it right, then don't do it at all. Instead, make the core game the best that it can be. Once you have a solid base, you can then start building upon that with new stuff. I think that's why BF1 ultimately falls, it was trying to include too much too fast. It collapses under the weight of its ambitions.

11. Cedric T Sealion

Cedric T Sealion Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 19, 2014
    No more Skirmish? In that case you can stick Battlefront 2 up your arses Dice/EA/Lucasfilm/Disney. Tea leaves.

B99 likes this.
  12. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Im hoping for Naboo, Geonosis and Mustafar maps at the very least with battle droids, droidekas, etc.

13. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    They should continue the trend of excluding the prequels as they were ruinously terrible for Star Wars and lowered the tone of the franchise. Instead they should look to encapsulating First Order/Resistance battles, given they correctly include OT elements and not vapid PT elements.

14. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    There are plenty PT locations that would work for all eras including Naboo, Mustafar, Coruscant etc.

It's not like seeing stormtroopers on kamino in the original battlefront games ruined anything

15. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Everyone wants the PT/CW added to BF2. YouTube, Reddit, Facebook, Twitter... Tons of comments asking for that era. One of the devs (who develops heroes I believe) replied to someone's comment about there being TCW in BF2, and he responded "cant talk about the game yet :)". May seem like a generic answer, but the little smiley makes me think fans wanting PT content won't be disappointed.

16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Well, given they're PT fans in the first place, I won't necessarily trust them on thresholds for what to be disappointed in.

But maybe they should make any prequel era stuff a 2D sprite, like the original Dark Forces. After all, if the prequels were fleshed out by 1 dimensional characters, it seems fitting to avoid anything close to three dimensional for prequel characters/stuff.

17. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    What I'd also like is to see them get creative and make new planets/maps like they did with Sullest.

18. DarkRula

DarkRula Jedi Master star 3

Feb 3, 2015
    That would be awesome to see.
    Can't remember many planets in canon from books, but I'm sure some could make for some interesting maps.

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Sullust... is not new?

20. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    The planet no, but the way EA depicted it yes. Apologies wording in last post wasn't exactly clear what I meant. I meant not entirely reliant on locales shown in the movies. Branch out.

21. Vader0706

Vader0706 Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2017

Nope, but it wasn't shown in the movies.

22. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Just had a good game of Battle station where my team dominated. When I activated R2 it let me play as him and go to the extraction point. Could you do this before or have they just added it in the last update/patch?

23. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

I thought that's how it always was. How else did R2 get to the extraction point in the first place?

24. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Well when I last played the mode in December he moved along a preset path like the shipments in extraction when you activated him. Maybe it was always like that on the PS4 version and not the Xbox version but that seems highly unlikely.

25. he-guy

he-guy RMFF CR star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    It was. I remember playing as R2 the first night it came out for Season Pass. I don't think we won, but it was fun to play as a Droid for a bit.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.