main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Star Wars: Battlefront (2015) & Battlefront 2 (2017) [Mod Approved]

Discussion in 'Community' started by IG_2000, Jun 10, 2013.

1. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    I really want to play this.

But the game just arrived at home today. As I am up at college my parents have to mail it to me, and it won't arrive until Monday... two days before I have to go home for thanksgiving break.
    Tough world.[face_sigh]

J7Luke likes this.
  2. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Two responses, not a single one can actually refute my point and comparisons. Blind boxes, blind bags, and capsule machines are not gambling. Neither are loot crates.

Being addictive does not make it gambling. Pokémon cards are addictive. They're geared towards children. Buying a pack doesn't guarantee any specific card. They've been around over twenty years now. They aren't gambling.

Hop of the internet hate train for two minutes. We can't label everything that's addictive and has RNG chance values as gambling, because it's not.

3. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I was glad the other night that there are still enough people playing BF 2015 to engage in a handful of matches. I'm not sure how long this'll last as more people buy the sequel game, but I'll keep playing it as long as there's people to play it with.

J7Luke likes this.
  4. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016

Internet hate train? I haven't been a part of that. In all your examples you always receive something of the same value and if you don't like what you get then you can theoretically sell it on or gift it to someone who does.

Trading card games aren't gambling because they are meant to be swapped between players/collectors, if you somehow took away that ability then yes it would be gambling, and that is what AAA games do with loot boxes.

If EA gave you the ability to swap your star cards with friends then there would be no problem with the gambling authorities. It would be classed as a trading game.

5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Wow, did not see that coming - I expected EA to try to ride the storm out. That said I don't think they're in the clear as yet. They might have solved this one issue but sounds like there are others.

J7Luke likes this.
  6. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    There's no pleasing some people, but most of the issues (progression not being tied enough into play/performance mainly; there's some demanding that everything be unlocked instantly but that's just inane and is the opposite of progression) are being looked at and the game really is great. Customization is coming soon too apparently and as they said that crystals will be back later after they have changed the game it's being postulated that the microtransactions will be shifted to cosmetics only. But I guarantee that the mob will complain about that too.

J7Luke likes this.
  7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Cosmetic only would remove the bulk of the complaints of the Star Cards unbalancing the field. If they then went and added a trading mechanic, they could turn this around quite fast and even get them a sales boost. As some gamers are wary of buying it, if it means being deemed as endorsing all the dodgy stuff EA tried to pull on this. Take those aspects out and the game gets to shine.

Huh, clearly deleted one too many 'quote' bits on the prior post as the quotes went wonky.

J7Luke likes this.
  8. PongKrell

PongKrell Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 17, 2016
    Am I going mad or is a lot of what's in the campaign a copy of Aftermath and Shattered Empire, but with its own set of characters?

Iden Versio = Rae Sloane
    Garrick Versio = Gallius Rax
    Shriv = L'ulo L'ampar
    Inferno Squad destroys the satellites at Naboo = Leia, Shara and Soruna destroy the satellites at Naboo
    Rebel Inferno Squad = Norra's team
    Leia sends Inferno Squad to find Han = Leia sends Norra's team to find Han
    Iden goes to Jakku to get Garrick = Rae goes to Jakku to stop Rax

Anything else?

The game's set of events is much less interesting than those in the books. No idea why they bothered with Jakku.

I haven't read Aftermath so maybe it's not as similar as it seems to me.

9. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    I'm only on the Pillio mission, so I can't comment on how "interesting" the events are and I refuse to open that spoiler box, BUT:

The game takes place over much the same time period of Aftermath and Shattered Empire, so doesn't it make sense that it would cover some of the same events from a different point of view? Especially the Battle of Jakku, which frankly was such a huge event that its absence from the campaign would be very conspicuous.

10. PongKrell

PongKrell Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 17, 2016
    Yeah, but it's not just from a different point of view - there are characters and situations that are quite similar to those in the books, but it's different characters and locations. So viewed in chronological order, it's oddly repetitious. There are at least three moments that have parallels in the books, but it's a whole different set of characters doing those things.

They gloss over all the key important details of the Battle of Jakku for example. So if you haven't read the books, you come away thinking somehow Inferno Squad were responsible for defeating the Empire once and for all - but no, they were pretty much bystanders.

Another example, you have no idea about Rax being the Emperor's successor.

The game's story doesn't stand alone, and worse, it's a side story to the juicy stuff happening in the books. I wish they had skipped over most of that time period and shown more of Iden in the other 29 years!

11. Charlie07

Charlie07 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2015
    Here's the simplest solution (IMO) if EA is so desperate to bring back the system:

1. Make all lootcrates skins, MVP poses and maybe even voicelines. If people want to pay (crystals) for that garbage, good on them.

2. Make star cards unlock as you level characters/achievements, with Multiplayer credits usable to "upgrade star cards".

3. Duplicate skins, MVP poses or voice lines give you a small amount of crafting parts, which can then be used to only buy loot crates.

So Crystals and Crafting Parts = Skins/MVP/voicelines. MP credits + time played = Star Cards + Upgrades.

Result:

1. Premium currency/player cash can only buy useless items, nothing Pay-to-win.

2. MP credits actually provides the "sense of achievement" that EA/DICE keeps moaning on about. The more you play, the more credits you make, the more you can upgrade star cards.

3. Duplicate skin currency can only buy you more skins/MVP/Voicelines.

I don't want any lootcrates in games, and i'm not buying BF2 now, but if they are going to shove them back in, this is the best compromise (IMO).

J7Luke likes this.
  12. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I am having a blast with this game. The improvement over EABF1, gameplay-wise, is immeasurable.

IG_2000, J7Luke and bizzbizz like this.
  13. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    So the Starkiller Base map--Detention Center--where they kept Rey in the film...

...is eerily similar to the Artus Detention facility on Artus Prime in Jedi Outcast. Both Artus Prime's mining facility and Starkiller Base's interiors have the rocky walls, and the actual Detention areas look so stupidly similar to the Artus detenion center that I wish we had seen a little bit more of it in the film. Currently my favorite of the smaller maps to play on.

LloydChristmas likes this.
  14. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    One thing the game doesn't explain is what those numbers next to each of the classes mean. I'm currently level 4, but all of my classes say 0. I see some people with 20 or more. What do those numbers mean and how do you increase them?

15. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    It's the number of cards you have for that particular class.

J7Luke likes this.
  16. coervus

coervus Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 31, 2017
    Got halfway through the campaign and played some Galactic Assault maps on my first day! Really enjoyed myself. I'm playing without any star cards at the moment (for science) and am happy to say I can more than hold my own.

Loving the ubiquity of the U-wing as a rebel troop transport in this game. I hope we'll see a lot more Rogue One content in the future.

J7Luke and redxavier like this.
  17. jimbeamjedi

jimbeamjedi Jedi Youngling

Nov 17, 2017
    cant believe the outrage over locked heroes in this game, EA have been doing the same bull**** in FIFA for years and it lauded as an expert football game on a yearly basis

FWIW i bought the deluxe trooper pre order, i hate the aspect that people have bought not earned better guns than me on multiplayer but thats it, i'll get over that eventually when more people buy rhe game and log in with the same equipment as me,

The campaign mode is incredibly good (the second last mission is utterly fantastic, for the older gamers here it is on par with Halo's "assault on the control tower" level imo) and with free DLC coming to add it it we'll have more stuff to do, also the hidden collectibles and playing it on hard mode takes ages to complete a level,

The arcade mode allows us to play as every hero and villain, every ship and most likely all the maps (not finished it, not by a long shot yet)

i honestly dont see what the full on rage is about vader or luke being locked right off the bat in multiplayer is overshadowing what is a finely polished, much improved and massive single player game that we can actually enjoy on our own, oh and free DLC (i hope the frothing masses havent ruined that part)

my only concern now is what will EA do with stuff people have purchased already (i havent done so) if they cancel P2W then people who bought stuff pre outrage will have a considerable advantage for a good length of time

18. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    About a third of the way through the campaign and it's not bad- story's pacing is a bit rushed but other than that it's about the only thing I'll probably find myself coming back to this game for in a few months time.

Played a round of each mode and I've come to the conclusion that I'm just don't have the multiplayer gamer mentality. I'm bored of it already. I HATE losing in videogames and in multiplayer winning a match is mostly down to how well my team plays and whether the opposite teams has good star cards etc- My skill level (which is pretty poor) has little effect on the outcome of the match.

I have nothing against the multiplayer, for those into that sort thing it's probably a blast and for a single player gamer like myself there is still a lot more content for me than the last game. Arcade mode, while no instant action, is probably more up my street.

All in all I think for any future DLC I'll just watch a couple of gameplay videos on youtube instead of wasting the time getting frustrated playing it myself.

19. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    are they adding more to the campaign because that was hardly a proper ending

the game plays much better then the first game imo the only issue i have with it is lack of maps variety and game modes my whole shooter experience is from cod so im use to a bunch of different game modes where this doesnt really have that many

20. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Next month they'll be releasing "Resurrection", a single player chapter. Not many details of yet other than the below from the official site.

Iden Versio returns. In Star Wars™ Battlefront™ II Resurrection, you’ll join Commander Iden Versio during the days of the First Order’s rise to power. These new chapters of Star Wars™ Battlefront™ II’s single-player story mode will be available December 13.

LloydChristmas, J7Luke and bizzbizz like this.
  21. DarkRula

DarkRula Jedi Master star 3

Feb 3, 2015
    Jumped on the campaign today, and it is good for the characters, if not much for the plot. Then again, this is pretty much a character-driven story. For some reason, it reminds me of Rogue One a bit.

LloydChristmas and BrotherKylo like this.
  22. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Is the game a good single player experience? heels1785

heels1785 likes this.
  23. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I haven't played the campaign yet - but the "skirmish" arcade vs. bot mode is fun. Simple, and could be expanded (something DICE said that they're working on), but a good breather from multiplayer for people like me who tend to get washed out in multiplayer.

Although, I've had better showings in two days of playing bf2 multiplayer than I did in 2 years of bf1.

LloydChristmas, J7Luke and Vialco like this.
  24. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Arcade is actually fun. The battle scenarios are easy unless you do the last tier which I find frustratingly fun. I was doing one last night for a solid hour because I kept losing by a few tickets. You’ll have to pardon the meme but when I finally did beat it I felt a huge sense of pride and accomplishment. I did a little fist pump. It felt like a Dark Souls Boss that is died to a hundred times and finally broke through.

For other people they might be a breeze. Custom arcade is also decent although I wish you could do all factions all maps. I hope more maps get added too. You can tweak settings enough that it’s a challenge.

I finished the campaign last night. Decent.
    i was semi holding out hope that there would be a triple cross and that Iden had been playing the long game but overall it was fun.
    Some missions were 100% Star Wars and we’re excellent. The last mission was suuuuuper intriguing and I can’t wait for resurrection in December.

25. BrotherKylo

BrotherKylo Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 30, 2017
    Im playing tonight on ps4 if anyone wants to play. HausOfMark is my username

I am loving this game so much.

heels1785 and J7Luke like this.