main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Star Wars: Battlefront (2015) & Battlefront 2 (2017) [Mod Approved]

Discussion in 'Community' started by IG_2000, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Just finished the Takodana mission of the campaign, so about 3/4 complete. Some spoiler-free preliminary thoughts:

What's here is really, really good. The voice acting is good, the set pieces are good, the new planets are good (I love the designs of both Pillio and Vardos), and the writing is good. The problem is that there isn't enough of it. First off, you pretty much have to read the prequel novel if you REALLY want to connect with the characters. In addition,he campaign simply doesn't take enough time to breath and flesh things out, especially in the first third. There's a major turning point in the campaign's story during the Vardos mission, but it feels rushed because we haven't had enough time to understand everything at that point. Basically, the pacing is too fast.

Some spoilerific thoughts:

Personally, I would have had two or three more missions before Iden defected. Show us her slowly being ground down, forced to do things she's increasingly uncomfortable with. Vardos should be the breaking point, where she finally decides that she doesn't want to be a part of an Empire that devours its own. If this was what happened, the defection would have been much more satisfying and feel less rushed.

That said, I've still enjoyed my time with the campaign. Again- it's good, it just needs more.

2. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I really liked the campaign and although I was a bit worried about the asset repetition in the early missions those were allayed very quickly by great diversity in the levels. Sometimes you're alone, sometimes you're with an army. The planets all feel very distinct from one another too. At one point, the game turns into an RPG. For me the campaign length was perfect, there's a risk with games in that sometimes they spend too long in one area or just repeat previous things. I was never bored or wishing the level would just finish already. I was left wanting more, and I think that's a good note to end on.

If anything the epilogue kind of undermines things and the story they told. I'm not really sure why they added it. I get that it's a justification for the ST era content, but with the prequel era in this one it feels largely unnecessary (it's also downright depressing). Another of my complaints would probaby be that
    the final meeting between the Versio and Versio seemed a bit underplayed

LloydChristmas, J7Luke and PongKrell like this.
  3. PongKrell

PongKrell Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 17, 2016
    The epilogue sets up the upcoming Resurrection DLC. I think the DLC was originally going to be part of the main campaign but got pushed back. Janina Gavankar has called it the third act.

redxavier and J7Luke like this.
  4. Jozgar

Dec 20, 2015
    Yeah, even though I’m really loving the game, the harsh truth is that, despite having much more content than the first game, it still seems to have been a bit rushed. It’s not nearly as barren as the first game, but there are a few things that feel “missing”.

Again, I haven’t finished the campaign yet so I can’t comment on the ending, but stuff like the complete lack of customization, the campaign’s “empty spots”, the lack of Skirmish, and there only being 2 sequel and prequel heroes each, make me think that Dice, Motive, and Criterion were unfortunately forced to get the game out in time for TLJ.

5. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    More base stuff is apparently coming that just wasn’t polished enough for launch such as stats page, a similar skirmish to 2015 and other additions.

Without going into the lootbox discussion the words DICE keep saying is live service. Community wants x and dice will try to have it. If y doesn’t work then they’ll tweak it so it does z. It’ll be interesting to see how the game is different in terms of systems etc in a year from now.

J7Luke likes this.
  6. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    VanGuard is annoying..

7. Jozgar

Dec 20, 2015

Yeah, this is why I cut the game some slack for things that aren't in it at launch now- a lot of it will be coming later, and for free too. As it is, what's in at launch is worth the asking price, so I'm not complaining.

J7Luke likes this.
  8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, this looks to be a first run for EA's 'game as service' model they want to use, with a string of regularly released content to keep it in people's attention.

J7Luke likes this.
  9. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  10. redxavier

Jan 23, 2003
    I can see myself playing this game for a long time, even without the DLC. There aren't any aspects that really kill the experience for me (unlike the previous game) aside from cross-era heroes (which may change later) and I'm having a blast. I just spent 90 minutes playing Kylo Ren on Starkiller Base (custom arcade) laying waste to hapless fools. :D
    (also a really good way to explore the maps and appreciate how gorgeous and authentic they are).

11. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Ok that alone sounds worth the price lol

Deliveranze likes this.
  12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    So all the computer banks died, right?

Darkslayer, LloydChristmas and J7Luke like this.
  13. redxavier

Jan 23, 2003
    The lightsabre leaves a mark across walls when you slice at them, so I did find myself commiting grievous archictectural harm!

14. Cedric T Sealion

Cedric T Sealion Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 19, 2014
    Skirmish is coming? If true, that would be great, but it would need to be all maps and most of the game modes.

What is the custom arcade mode like? Can you use it to create large single player battles?

lookameatbag likes this.
  15. DarkRula

DarkRula Jedi Master star 3

Feb 3, 2015
    The highest ticket count you can set it to is 999, so in a way you can. However, it is sort of let down by the fact the matches are only 10v10 at most, and all the maps are reduced in size, usually focusing the fight in a small mostly inside area, such as the last stage of the Theed battle.

16. Jozgar

Dec 20, 2015
    Gotta say, I’m really loving Starfighter Assault. Criterion did a great job- the gameplay is fun and the fighters feel really nice to fly. Would anyone else be interested in Criterion doing their own Starfighter-focused Star Wars game in the future? A sort of spiritual successor to Tie Fighter or Jedi Starfighter would be really cool IMO.

17. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Loot boxes?

18. redxavier

Jan 23, 2003
    What about them?

19. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Doesn't kill the experience?

20. redxavier

Jan 23, 2003
    Nope. In fact, I quite like the idea of buying the crates and seeing what I get in them (I used to buy LOTR cards in packs). It would be better if they weren't the way that you progress, but I don't mind it. I'm not using star cards anyway (actually unequiped them, no change to my fun factor!). At its core, the game is a shooter - you shoot people with your blaster while not getting shot at yourself. That part is done very well, and it's all wrapped up in Star Wars in a near flawless audiovisual presentation. Progression is just a carrot to keep you coming back to play, but it's entirely secondary to the experience of playing the game. Lots of people seem to be really into the idea of "if I'm not rewarded for playing well, why should I play?" and that seems backwards to me. I also don't feel the need to get everything on offer just because it's there so the grind isn't there for me. Eventually I may get everything (just because I think I'll be playing for a long time) but it's not the goal. My goal is to play the game and have fun. Anyhow, that that's my perspective on it.

DarkRula, coervus and Grievousdude like this.
  21. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    I have been enjoying the campaign and the action has a real Star Wars feel to it. The way a group of stormtroopers ragdoll when you toss them a thermal detonator is very reminiscent of the action scenes in the movies.

The variety of locations is outstanding as is the detail in the landscapes. I'm still finding my feet with the multiplayer and I'm trying to level-up as fast as I can. One thing I do miss is Walker Assault (that was my favourite multiplayer game).

LloydChristmas, J7Luke and bmickey like this.
  22. BrotherKylo

BrotherKylo Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 30, 2017
    I have been addicted to this game. Is there a level cap?

Also, is it true all the DLC's are free?

23. BrotherKylo

Mar 30, 2017
  24. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Yes.

J7Luke and BrotherKylo like this.
  25. BrotherKylo

Mar 30, 2017

OK! Just wanted to make sure I didnt read that in a fake news article or something! haha thank you!

J7Luke and Outsourced like this.