main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Star Wars: Battlefront (2015) & Battlefront 2 (2017) [Mod Approved]

Discussion in 'Community' started by IG_2000, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Disable motion blur.

2. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    My DLC predictions:
    Heroes -
    Obi-Wan
    Anakin
    Ahsoka
    Jyn
    Finn (Confirmed)
    Poe
    Rose

Villains -
    Grievous
    Dooku
    Ventress
    Kreenic
    Phasma (Confirmed)
    Hux
    Snoke

LloydChristmas and Ahsoka's Tano like this.
  3. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I'd love to see Ahsoka included as a Hero in this. I wonder if they'd use the TCW younger version or the Rebels older one.

J7Luke likes this.
  4. DarkRula

DarkRula Jedi Master star 3

Feb 3, 2015
    Skins to have both? Though unless they could change the height with no difficulty, it might be better sticking to one.

5. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I'd imagine they'd probably use the Rebels version just to be on par height-wise with the rest of the heroes/villains. If I'm not mistaken, only Yoda is short one of the bunch.

J7Luke and LloydChristmas like this.
  6. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    How long did the campaign take you all to finish? Is it just tacked on? I'm trying to justify buying this game but I can't just yet. I passed on the last one because of the criticism it received.

7. bmickey

bmickey Jedi Knight

May 7, 2015
    The campaign is short, but a very well crafted one. I'd say it stand on its own, and I might say it is the better developed/produced part of the package (the other being multiplayer, that needs some serious work as now it is in my opinion a good game with stellar presentation held back by contradicting and controversial mechanisms). And one more chapter arrives in December.

Sent from my YD201 using Tapatalk

J7Luke and Ezio Skywalker like this.
  8. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I took my time (including looking for collectables) and it took just under 6 hours. I really enjoyed it, it's probably the best single player Star Wars experience I've had since X-wing Alliance and Force Commander (I never really thought that much of the TFU games). I'm hard of hearing so put the subtitles on; there's a lot of out-of-cutscene storytelling throughout that you shouldn't miss.

J7Luke and bmickey like this.
  9. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Bought it and wowwww, Galactic Assault really gives you the feel of being in a Star Wars warzone it's unreal (also pretty difficult to not die 1000 times but I haven't hit up an FPS in awhile :p )

Most blown away by Starfighter Assault-- handles are literally the best thing since Rogue Squadron, magnitude of battles is awesome, the ability to hit objectives or dogfight is fun as hell. And the locations (in multiplayer + the campaign) are sick-- flying through the Death Star remains?! Past beldons at Bespin?!

Visually everything is stunning and after the microtransactions drama I'm as pumped for this as I was originally. Excited for the DLC, GIVE ME KENOBI

THIS SO MUCH. And there's something about Han Solo's shoulder charge that's just so unmistakably Han. Such great detail.

J7Luke and Dannik Jerriko like this.
  10. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    It's good to see no buyer's remorse here. I haven't bought a new game at launch in a very long time. Nowadays I typically wait for a year or so after a bunch of patches and content have been released and the price has dropped substantially before I buy a game (which is also how I dodged all the Assassin's Creed Unity drama ;) ).

I'm intrigued by the single player campaign but have read online that it looks like EA might add another chapter to it down the road and that as is it seems like the narrative is a bit unfinished. So that's more incentive for me to just wait, as multiplayer isn't enough to lure me, even if it is currently on sale on Xbox for like $50.

J7Luke likes this.
  11. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

Considering the single player campaign is maybe about 8 hours or so (including any additional chapters) of gameplay, I really can't see how that would be a selling point to anyone. I know SW fans have been craving a single player game for years since TFU2 was released, but I never thought of Battlefront in the same genre. Yes, I remember the original BF games had something of the equivalent of a "single player campaign", but I probably tried it for about an hour or so and logged back online. Obviously an 8 hour offline game wouldn't warrant a $50+ retail price.

12. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    1. From what i've seen, the BFII campaign hits around 4 hours. There's no way DLC chapters will extend that by double, even if they add more story DLC for each new ST movie.

2. 50+ for an 8 hour game is pretty standard. Bioshock, Dead Space, Spec Ops, etc. Some of these games had multiplayer, but no one played them so I don't really could that.

13. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

I thought someone had mentioned earlier that it was 6 hours (before the next chapter is released). I have yet to buy any single player game that is under 10 hours of actual gameplay for upwards of $50 retail. Jeez; even the new "Frozen Wilds" DLC from Horizon Zero Dawn is said to be about 12-15 hours' worth.

14. MasterMoolah

MasterMoolah Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 25, 2015
    Honestly, I know people were craving for a Star Wars single-player experience, but what we got in BF2 was not the best they could've done. If you're going to have only 12 missions, you shouldn't have about half of those being from the POV of other characters. I know people liked playing Leia, Han, Luke, Lando and Kylo, but that came at the expense of giving us even less time with the so-called main character Iden Versio. We got nearly nothing from her backstory and I'm forced to buy or listen to an online audiobook of the Inferno Squad novel to get backstory that should've been given in the game. I know this is a FPS game and FPS games are notorious for their low effort, low quality single-player campaigns, but this was the first SW single player campaign in years. I haven't played a single player SW game since The Old Republic game which came out in 2011.

Yes, the game looks gorgeous. I love seeing new planets on current gen systems. But I'm still waiting desperately for a solid, long story-driven game with tens of hours of content. With the exclusivity rights EA has for the SW ip, and EA's history of making game that aren't received well with forced microtransactions, it looks like I'm going to have to wait a long time before we get another story-driven SW game. That's not good and Disney should rethink their deal with EA because it could hurt the image of their brand if SW games continue to be equated with a controversial, highly unpopular company like EA.

This campaign could've been better without the film characters being ham-fisted in. The game is supposed to be about Iden Versio and should've remained that way. The Inferno Squad was really only a story factor for what...the first 1-2 missions? The entire story was just random. They made Project Cinder seem like it was this big thing, then you play the game and that's not even brought up after the 4th mission. I still don't really know WTF it even was. It seemed like some sort of weather modification weapon, but there's so little actual story in the game, you're left to fill in the blanks because they do such a poor job at actually having a good story that explains everything. The cinematic sequences are there purely just to set you up for the next mission with as little story as possible. Only enough to set up the next mission. This crap passes as STORY in FPS games today which is sad and laughable.

The story campaign for me was honestly a 6.8/10 for me and it's only that high because the graphics were so nice and the shooting mechanics were good too.

I don't mind her becoming a rebel either. That's a big complaint I'm hearing from people. The issue is the length of the story for me more than anything and how poorly developed the character was.

15. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I was sceptical that this would happen, but it's good that it has. This has even had a small impact at the investor level too.

With a bit of luck, it'll render the whole rotten mechanism toxic enough to deter developers from considering it on future games.

LloydChristmas and Ender Sai like this.
  16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Well also consider those pieces of **** that made the old Battlefront game decided that we didn't want another X-Wing, we wanted more Battlefront... so people are probably viewing the SP campaign as a very inadequate putty to fill the gap of a missing decent sim.

17. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    It's def closer to 4 than 8, and unfortunately does suffer from being so short-- there's really not much time for character development (and I echo other comments here that the plot's a little canned to boot).

That said it does provide a solid *framework* for DLC and could see them adding it on to a bunch, even beyond the next "chapter."

18. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Every report i've seen has said around four hours. Even then, expecting a DLC chapter to contain another two hours of gameplay is... unlikely.

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/star-wars-battlefront-ii-review/1900-6416810/

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/11/17/star-wars-battlefront-2-review

https://kotaku.com/star-wars-battlefront-ii-the-kotaku-review-1820477183

There's a difference between a linear single player game and an open world "sandbox" game. Horizon Zero Dawn is a sandbox game where the actual meat of the time you'll spend playing is found in side quests, collectibles, and general exploration. The time you'll actually spend on the "Main Story" is going to, almost always, be below the 8 hour story mark. It all comes back to a cost/benefit, where a short but superb experience is worth around as much as a meatier but less satisfying experience. Hence why The Witcher 3's side-quests are so revered, as they all feel like they're on the same level as the main story missions.

19. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Well no one can convince me that any game that's been released this year is better story-wise than HZD; but that's a discussion for another thread.

Seeher and B99 like this.
  20. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    This year? Meh. Maybe. Still, i'd say that linear narratives almost always have better stories than open world, because the developers are able to plan out the story beats and flow a lot better.

But yeah, that's not really for this thread.

21. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    Well, this patch was the final straw. My game became unplayable for multiplayer and arcade mode because of the following reasons:
    • Inactive abilities in online multiplayer matches and arcade mode
    • Multiple online multiplayer matches giving no credits
    • Constant character/vehicle freezing while in-game
    • Consistently being dropped from online matches
    • Star cards selection kept being reset
    I wasn't the only one experiencing these issue just mere hours ago, my friends were having trouble too. So I took my complaints to Microsoft's customer service and requested a refund. Took about ten minutes and I successfully got my digital copy of the game refunded. They had to check into my complaints to warrant a refund under these circumstances, in which they did.

I'm done with giving money to EA. No more new games purchases from them. No more EA Access subscriptions. I am done. I will pick up the game again later on when it's cheaper and everything has been reasonably ironed out, but I will be buying a used copy.

Now with Belgium classifying the lootbox system for all games as "gambling", I hope their successful in getting the rest of the EU to ban these types of games. And I really hope Disney it taking note of EA's handling of the Star Wars brand and will take away at the very least their exclusive licence to create new Star Wars games.

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    To be honest, Battlefront needs to die as a concept. So long as you aim for the literal dumbest and most toxic gamer crowds - first person shooter numpties - you're going to keep having this compromised experience. It'll have to cater to their casual interest in Star Wars and short attention span (hence why Fallout 4 was so awful) and therefore will suck anything Star Wars-y out of the game except visuals and sounds.
    You need it in the hands of a smaller studio with a focus on Star Wars, not on revenue and broad appeal. Think Ghost Recon: Wildlands gameplay, with different planets and multiplayer skirmishes built in...

23. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Have you even played the game yet Ender?
    As for the latest patch, the connection problems lasted a couple hours.

24. bluealien1

bluealien1 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 14, 2015
    I was going to buy a PS4 and this game but after seeing all of the bull i'm glad i never did.If it had been 10-12 hours long,Microtransaction for skins then,and only then would i have bought this with all of this oopla going on,but,sadly no.

25. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    You wonder why I was reluctant to buy the game on launch. Within at least a few months they'll have resolved most of the issues, new DLC will have been released, and the price of the game will be down about $20 or so.

This link pretty much echoes what we've been talking about. There's a little spoiler about the single-player campaign which I skipped over, but most of it is fine for anyone interested in the game; whether they own it or not.

http://www.businessinsider.com/revi...-battlefront-ii-you-should-hold-off-for-now-5