main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Star Wars: Battlefront (2015) & Battlefront 2 (2017) [Mod Approved]

Discussion in 'Community' started by IG_2000, Jun 10, 2013.

1. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    See I haven’t given a thought to the progression or grind. I have over 350k credits and over 9k of crafting parts. They’re irrelevant to my enjoyment of the game.

I also disagree about it being soulless although one could put that down to personal tastes. For me I look at the detail put into the maps with references to the EU, TCW and other material to realize that there are people at DICE that have put their heart and soul into this game. I also see the lead devs interact with the fan base and recognize that they are fans of Star Wars. In saying that it’s also clear that DICE/EA have dropped the ball in some aspects.

Either way I enjoy the hell out of the game. I loved the originals but they were clunky and had similar issues. If 2017 didn’t release anymore content I’d still be playing this game heavily for the next two years. Thing is that they’ve got more content coming which is great. EA have said, even after the backlash, that they’re planning on supporting the game longer than usual so I’m excited.

redxavier likes this.
  2. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    You have over 9K crafting parts? Take a screenshot when you get the chance; cause I find that hard to believe, frankly.

B99 likes this.
  3. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    9K? Bull **** man.. :p

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  4. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Ahh you got me sorry guys! :p I mistyped and currently have about 1.9k. I don’t have a current photo but here’s a link to my reddit thread from about 60 days back when I passed 200k -

www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/7m4e1x/200kmaybe_i_should_buy_some_crates/

Facing the same issue to be perfectly honest. Just waiting for progression to be “fixed” or see how they handle cosmetics before going on a spending spree. I don’t play heroes, use the base weapons and I’ve unlocked most of the troop cards from the daily crates. I’d rather wait for skins and get all of those than get a .5 boost on card x.

If there was a “spend/buy all” button where I could just do it in one hit I’d maybe consider it but the process to do it individually do I bores me when I could be playing instead.

Till then it just stacks. I like playing the game and not mucking around in menus.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  5. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    Soul is obviously highly subjective. For me it can be a feeling of immersion, an emotional attachment to a character, a desire to know what comes next in the story.

Neither DICE BF has given me anything of the sort. They feel like average FPS in SW costumes. I do not feel as if I'm in the GFFA. I feel as if I'm playing any COD with a SW mod. I had the same complaint about BF 2015. The modes were very vanilla traditional FPS modes. Capture the flag, team death match, zone control, cart, etc.. dressed up in SW fare. They have marginally improved this in BF 2. The scenarios are a tad more SW movie like. But ultimately they are bound by the same limitations any FPS is. There's really only so much you can do with FPS unfortunately.

Star Wars is story driven. They have action and violence, sure. But it's not mindless violence. The action and violence serve the story. Unfortunately BF is missing the key component of SW, the story. So what we're left with is just pew pew pew... This is why I say they lack soul, and why I'm so disappointed with EA's treatment of the franchise over the past half decade. The cancellation of the Visceral's game was disappointing as it would have been more story oriented than any BF game.

Regarding progression and unlocking cards or "the grind," it's literally the only thing to do in the game beyond the campaign. The only way to mark progress being there's no stats beyond rank. And quite frankly, it's a road to no where. It's boring for me. I'm only a few points shy of level 50 and I feel like I couldn't care less. There's nothing waiting for me. Not even a skin or blaster, lol... Its so anti-climatic.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  6. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Is that any different to the old Battlefronts though, really?

They didn't even have any progression out of the main campaign. And with the new patch due soon, most of the BF2 modes will be playable offline, just like BF2 2005.

7. Darth Visor

Darth Visor Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 25, 2018
    I agree with darkspine10 here. I feel like the old Battlefronts were like that too.

I agree soul is subjective and it's perfectly reasonable for the new games not to do that for you. I'm disappointed by EA's treatment of the Star Wars brand too, but more from the fact that I feel like they haven't made enough games, but I've enjoyed the two they have.

I would like them to make more story focused Star Wars games, obviously, but I also do like the multiplayer action of Battlefront 2. I think it's a good game to relax and play after a long day, and all the better that it's Star Wars themed.

8. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Jump trooper cargo sucks. Straight up.

9. DarkRula

DarkRula Jedi Master star 3

Feb 3, 2015
    Well, that's nice to know.
    I'll probably give it a bit of a whirl then be back on Galactic Assault.

10. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Does it at least have double xp to make it worthwhile?

11. DarkRula

DarkRula Jedi Master star 3

Feb 3, 2015
    No double XP, but the improvements to the AI are definitely improvements. They use secondary weapons a lot more now, and seem to know a lot of new moves.

12. Darth Visor

Jan 25, 2018
    I disagree. I had a ton of fun playing it earlier.

13. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    If you want x2 xp play bf 2015. Seriously there was double xp like a week ago..[face_beatup]

14. Darth Visor

Jan 25, 2018
    I tried playing BF 2015 like a week ago. I had a really hard time after getting used to BF 2017. It plays more differently than I thought.

B99 likes this.
  15. vw_jedi

Feb 18, 2002
    The difference is there's literally no other choice for next gen consoles or even PC other than BF right now. EA has released only 2 SW games since they received the license. Both FPS.

In 2005 there were many other choices in SW gaming. And the game styles were diverse. It's a lot less boring when you have more choices than repetitive FPS.

16. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I reached rank 100 on the first one ages ago.

It's taking me a lot longer to level up in BF2 though since it seems to not award much Xp in games except for HvV which I find more frustrating than fun so I just stick to Galactic Assault.

B99 likes this.
  17. Darth Visor

Jan 25, 2018
    I understand completely where you're coming from, but you do have to take into consideration that the cost of AAA development has skyrocketed since 2005 and that the Star Wars license is likely far more expensive coming from Disney than it likely was coming from Lucasarts back in '05.

18. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Phasma still sux. Great improvements Dice.

19. Darth Visor

Jan 25, 2018
    I felt like there were still a lot of good hero balancing changes though. I had a ton more fun playing HvV today then I did yesterday.

20. coervus

coervus Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 31, 2017
    I don't think either Phasma or Jetpack Cargo sucks [face_whistling] Granted, the previous patch which adjusted Phasma's blaster behavior was probably more impactful and Jetpack Cargo is too cheesy for me to play continuously (#BringBackCargo), but I had good runs with both today.

Now what does suck, and I say this only because I can't cope with it and YMMV, is Boba Fett's new super-fast jetpack mechanic. Wha???! I feel like I can't hit anything because I'm just zooming around like a popped balloon. It also doesn't seem right that you have to activate For the Hunt every time you want to fly/hover for more than 3 seconds -- and I have both of his jetpack cards at rare, too.

Also, I've just been browsing the chatter on reddit and apparently the heavy's DC-15LE with explosive shot has been quietly buffed. That was my go-to heavy blaster anyway and now it makes sense why that thing was so darn good today.

21. vw_jedi

Feb 18, 2002
    Jett pack cargo is fun for a minute. Then 29 other minutes later the same match is still going and you wonder why the devs didn't institute a round timer of some sort.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  22. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Guess I haven't missed much this past weekend on Battlefront with the new patch; since I was playing Overwatch mostly.

23. vw_jedi

Feb 18, 2002
    Well, no one forced EA/DICE to develop a AAA FPS, then nearly abandon it a year after launch to move tons of resources to their next near identical AAA FPS of the same name, genre, engine, etc...

At the same time how did Visceral get so far along in their process, literally years, only to have their game given to another developer and further delayed? How much money went to that?

Lucasfilm has managed to put out 4 movies in the time EA put out 2 near identical games. All I see is lots of wheel spinning right on over the same trail we already drove over.

24. darkmasteroflight

darkmasteroflight Jedi Youngling

Feb 13, 2018
    QFT...garbage for sure.

25. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Ok.. Joining a game as it's about to start and spawning in right away and getting Assault class is getting old..

fast

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    vw_jedi likes this.