main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars: Battlefront II General Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by hear+soul, Mar 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Wow, I didn't realise how absurd the names of the ROTS planets are. Lucas just isn't trying anymore.

2. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    "Lucas just isn't trying anymore".

BITE YOUR TONGUE HEATHEN!!

wait til' you see ROTS. then will see who isn't trying.

3. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    With the names, I mean. :p I certainly hope ROTS is going to make me change religions, I just think the names are silly. But then, "Naboo" sounds like something an Ewok would say, so I should reserve judgement.

4. hitmbig

hitmbig Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 6, 2004
    I hope they make another Battlefront game. This one kinda died out for me. I think a Death Star and space battle would greatly improve the game.

5. DMan304

DMan304 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 10, 2004
    We need some sort of melee bash. I've been playing Rep. Commando and then when i played Battlefront, I was trying to smack guys without thinking.

6. Dante_Glass

Dante_Glass Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    Yeah some kind of hand to hand strike would be good. Especially for a wookie players, it just didn't feel right that the wookie couldn't take a swing at your head.

7. Darth Tall

Darth Tall Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 6, 2000
    Those are some good suggestions Jeditraitor. Maybe not so many Episode 3 planets, but the 2nd Death Star is a must!

8. Tars-Tarkas

Tars-Tarkas Jedi Youngling

Apr 15, 2004
    Like all Lucasarts releases, Battlefront was abandoned shortly after its birth by its creators. Classics like the Jedi Knight and X-Wing series have been kept alive by the modding community alone.

I play BF everyday, with 80% of my single-player time being spent on player-developed maps and not the originals shipped with the product. Most are interesting and give me a chance to try something new with the engine. A few are really inspiring. For example, there's one map where you can play a bounty hunter as either a Republic Commando, a Gammorean, an IG-88 droid, or a Tusken Raider. All of them have new weapon combinations and other features.

A mod contest with Lucasarts making the best 5 or 6 maps making their way onto an official upgrade or new Galactic Conquest mode would be great. It would vary the play enough to make it interesting and give BF2 a longer shelf-life.

A new set of maps and maybe a new player class would extend the current BF a few more months as well. This would generate some much needed goodwill with the fans and inspire us to buy the new game in the Fall.

BTW: is anyone working on a mod to do the following?
    Empire vs. Droids
    Droids vs. Rebels
    Clones vs. Rebels
    Clones vs. Empire

9. Hudnall

Hudnall Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 23, 2004
    I love Battlefront. I still pick it up on my PS2 almost daily and I play single player. I bought it day one, and I'm still jammin - it is just a matter of challenging yourself to do something different besides run around in berserker mode. Battlefront is one of the few games that I can play 1-3 missions in 30 minutes for a quick fix, without delving into an all-night no-sleep no-good-for-work-tomorrow gaming experience.

A few thoughts:

1) NO OBJECTIVE BASED. Dang it, command posts made it unique. For gods sake, if I have to play the same objective over and over just like everything other game it will kill the replay value for me. Nothing more frustrated than having my imagination shoehorned in to a set pattern. PLEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSE.

others...

1) Ability increase the number of troops (respawns) into the 1000s,

2) Play any faction against any faction

3) Slightly better Wookies and Dark Troopers. Their guns stink.

4) Ability to move command posts would be nice too.

That's it. I was happy with the maps I had, of course, I always want more - who doesn't. But even ones I didn't care for initially have become some of my favorite - ie Kashyyyk Docks.

10. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    YES I love Battlefront so I'm really looking forward to Battlefront II and so soon as well just GREAT

Worst Star Wars game Episode I: The Phantom Menace what can I say but (you can't say that either)

11. Hudnall

Feb 23, 2004

Why is everybody so bent on being a Jedi? Aren't there other games for that?

Anyways -

5) In the flying controls, when I pull the throttle back to slow down, keep it slow, don't make me hold the joystick. That's why so many complain about about the flying engine.

6) If you have to add objectives, give me an unlockable where I can turn it off and go back to command post only.

7) BIG ONE: Improve the tactical commands. "Hold position" never holds them. "Follow me" works. How bout good old fashioned "Attack my target"? And even better, "Cover my back"?

12. Jango_Bebop

Jango_Bebop Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2004
    I just got the new issue of PSM and Battlefront is on the cover (represented by a drawing of Vader). There is a 4 page spread in there and also 2 pages on the new episode 3 game. The pictures are different but, sorry guys, I don't have a scanner but I'm sure someone does.

I still play Battlefront so I am loving this announcement. I am concerned about the objective based missions. I like how open ended the game is and that your army can win without you. They seem to be putting more focus on you turning the tide at all times. Oh and they mentioned they aren't sure how they are going to implement the jedi ie possibly only one life as a jedi.

13. Hudnall

Feb 23, 2004
    I like how open ended the game is and that your army can win without you.

Amen. That's what gives it replay value if you have an imagination. If you decide to ride speeder bikes the whole level, so be it. If you decide to fly X-Wings the whole level, so be it. If you decide to sit in one spot and snipe Ewoks, so be it. If you dedicate yourself to taking down walkers with big guns, so be it. I once spent an entire mission trying to shoot Jawas with grenade launchers, and loved it.

If you want to make objective based mission (like every other single game on the planet) to turn the tide at critical moments, that is fine for Single Player Mission mode. But for goodness sake, give me command-post free for alls in my Instant Action -

14. Jango10

Jango10 Jedi Master star 5

Sep 22, 2002
    I loved Battlefront! I have it for Xbox and I still play single player. I can't wait until Battlefront II!

15. SithLordPat

SithLordPat Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2005
    This is my first post so I really hope I do it right. [-o|

I'm really happy there is going to be a BF 2. I don't really care if it is only a year after the first one. I like the idea of an all space battle. Thats whats really got me excited. I want the spawn number thing to be higher
    like in the thousands. It would be sweet if the maps were a lot larger. I still play my Battlefront (for the Xbox) I never have played online though.And to the people who come here ripping on BF, I'm pretty sure that most of us here don't want to hear it since we liked it and are excited for it. [face_peace]

16. Darth Tall

Darth Tall Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 6, 2000
    Yeah I'm not a fan of objective based missions either, but they can put them in if they leave it the same as in 1. I like how you could win as the imperials at Hoth and not destroy the shield generator. Same for the Rebels at Endor. It's nice to have them, but don't make it a requirement.

17. Jetscream

Jetscream Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2005
    I like too Battlefront! I got it for PS2. If the Battlefront 2 comes there should be a melee weapon and space battles say I. :D

18. SithLordPat

Mar 30, 2005
    I was wondering. Are the PS2 and Xbox versions of Battlefront 1 different in ayn way? I woulden't mind seeing some melee action, I would mind seeing Jedi or being Jedi. The Jedi in BF looked awful, huncebacked little gits.

19. SithLordPat

Mar 30, 2005
    I think this thread died.

20. The_General_Grievous

The_General_Grievous Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2005
    ok heres the battle i want, seance there is the clone war time line and the galactic cival war timeline ill do them in order

Clone War Eara

Naboo Space battle - this would be after the gungan battle but before the battle for thead

geonosis areana - already explanded, save the jedi in the arena

more kashyyyk - come on we want more kashyyyk, mabey like the forest floor

Courscant Space battle - in ep3

Mustafar - in ep3, lava planet

Meigato - in ep3, its a huge sepritist fortress

Felucia - in ep3, its a rainforest

Cato Neimoidia - in ep3, republic attack here, its the neminodian home world ext

Saleucami - in ep3 dont know much

ok now where done the droids vs clones lets move onto the rebals vs imperials

Death Star(aka battle of yavin) space battle - needs no explianing, after the tatoine stuff

The lost ship(an idea) - the imperials must find the meliniam falcon but bewair the asterioid belt

Kashyyyk - the empire takes over kashyyyk(an idea

Inside the death star - rebals invade the death star 2 hoping to take it over, its an idea( i saw a screan shot of it)

Death Star 2 space battle - needs no explaining(i saw a screenshot, its been confermed)

21. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Reading this thread just made my day. I know many were disappointed with Battlefront, but I absolutely loved it. My friends and I play it all the time, and I just think its a lot of fun. Definately my favorite SW game.

Since its confirmed there will be a Battlefront II, I was wondering if anybody knew what the release date is going to be? Summer or Fall?

Also, from the pictures I've seen, some of the maps include the Space Battle of Coruscant, the Space Battle of Endor, a Death Star campaign, and the Tantiv IV. Is there any word on what other maps there might be?

As for personal hopes for improvements, I know most of mine have already been posted, but:

(1) Better A.I. System: Quite frankly, all the soldiers are idiots :p. Sometimes I prefer them to be idiots, because it allows me to perform some fun "save the day" manuevers. But then on other occassions its really frustrating when they act stupid. Really frustrating.

(2) You Should Count as the Last Man Standing: There have been multiple occassions where I almost succeed in gaining victory, but then my last few guys are killed and I can't progress any further. I think it'd simply be much more interesting if you were the last man standing, and were forced to fight/evade dozens of remaining soldiers before getting killed ;)

(3) More Space on Maps: I think it would be more interesting if maps were a little larger. Make it a bit more epic.

(4) Better Commands: After playing Republic Commando, I took notice of how weak the commands in BF really are. Soldiers always break off after a certain amount of time if you command them to come with you, and they never remain at the command posts you place them at. Strategically, I'd find much more interesting if you could give certain soldiers permanent commands to remain somewhere or to do something.

Battlefront 2, baby! [face_dancing]

22. eequo

eequo Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 8, 2004
    Q3 2005 if theyre worth their word

23. GunganGrievous874

GunganGrievous874 Jedi Youngling

Mar 31, 2005
    I dont understand why you wuld want another star wars battlefront, the first was good but it culdve been ALOT better. So i wuldnt recomment another 1 coming out

24. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    The second one is meant to address the shortcomings of the first. Usually that's done in an expansion pack, but since BF2 should be significantly better than its predecessor, why wouldn't you want another one?

25. Hudnall

Feb 23, 2004
    (2) You Should Count as the Last Man Standing:

How could I forget that? BRAVO! Definitely.

I dont understand why you wuld want another star wars battlefront,

Because I love it... play almost every day. It has the most comprehensive soundscore from across the Saga than any game ever - set the music volume up 100%, tune the rest down to below 50% - and just enjoy the scenery. Best game EVAR!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.