main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars Battlefront II Missions and Scenarios: It's Impact on the EU and its Canon Status

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Tyrantus, Nov 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    what is so wrong with the acklays on Felucia?

my question: Why do the commanders of the 501st dress like Galactic Marines?

2. razzy1319

razzy1319 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2004
    gameplay mechanics?

3. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    No! They all secretly wish to be Cobra Commanders!

8-}

4. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    >>"gameplay mechanics?"<<[</i]

Crappy research, more like. Didn't they, erm, watch the films?

5. razzy1319

razzy1319 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2004

Artistic License in favor of being cool looking rather than continuity hugging is more like it.

6. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    Well, as recent LA polls show, continuity is good.
    Is it important that a Star Wars game fits closely within expanded universe continuity?

-Absolutely. 45%
    -Yes, but there is room for forgiveness for the sake of game play. 34%
    -Not really. 7%
    -What is expanded universe continuity? 14%

10/7/05 - 10/21/05

7. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    55% leeway. Seems fine :p

8. Tam_Elgrin

May 1, 2004
    >>"Artistic License in favor of being cool looking rather than continuity hugging is more like it."<<

Bacara looks cool enough as he is. [:D] And it's hardly continuity hugging by following established designs - it's like, say, if in a hypothetical issue of Empire stormtroopers on Tatooine are running round in officer gear, or even Snowtrooper armour.

9. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Uh, aging and growing up are too diffrent things-its likly the clones would be in fighting shape for a long time.

10. Imperial_Commandant

Imperial_Commandant Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 30, 2005

Why do the commanders of the 501st dress like Galactic Marines?

It's just game mechanics. It's certainly not something that is official or canon. My guess is that the LA team wanted to stick the cool looking GMs into the game, didn't know what a 501st commander looked like and stuck the Marine trooper in for the 501st commander.

11. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    1st-Galatic marines are cool

2 why did the empire let all the prisoners keep their weapons? Even the jedi got his lightsaber back-not the best secuirty measures.

12. Vindaxxus

Vindaxxus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 29, 2000
    I was wondering that when I played that level. Maybe the Jedi snuck aboard on a shuttle or transport and orchestrated the jail break. We need to add him to the Purge survivors list...

13. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    at the end of the mission, IIRC, they mention about Fett going off to mos eisley after a smuggler, it's a blatant han solo reference, and is pointing at the beginning of ANH.

I think it'd be silly to change it, personally

I'm just following orders, i'm betraying our General.

THAT is treason, my friend.

The Jedi would have detected it, it's crap, and it's one of the few things about star wars i complain about. if they just had it that it was hardwired into their dna, or a flash-taught thing that was sorta in their unconscious then fine, but to have them know they're going to betray the Jedi, the only people apart from other clones who cared for them... its daft. ARC's i could understand, as they're as Jango as you can get, but then for the Jedi to not know? they don't even think 'ah... thats why they were holding back' or whatever, it really irks me

14. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    there were clones that had been retired in Republic Commando i believe, which was still when the war was going, in RC:HC they mentioned the first commando death by old age, IIRC

15. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    >>>at the end of the mission, IIRC, they mention about Fett going off to mos eisley after a smuggler, it's a blatant han solo reference, and is pointing at the beginning of ANH.

I think it'd be silly to change it, personally <<<

Except that there is a slim-to-none chance that he was doing this clone battle right before ANH. We have a small opening there where it might fit, but I doubt it. He goes from his Underworld comic job, to capturing the Bith with the credits for Jabba, to Toprawa, to Tatooine all in the span of three to four weeks. And besides, Jabba didn't have a bounty out on Solo in the beginning of ANH.

More continuity crap from the LucasArts team. [face_plain]

Edit: At least the Databank makes it clear that it happened circa 9 BBY.
    The resultant clone uprising, which occurred about a decade into the Empire's rule, was put down by the elite 501st Legion of stormtroopers. The master of this Legion, Darth Vader, hired a special mercenary to lead the troopers in battle: Boba Fett, a product of the Kaminoan hatcheries.

16. StarkRhavyn

StarkRhavyn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2003
    quote=Rogue_Follower]Except that there is a slim-to-none chance that he was doing this clone battle right before ANH. We have a small opening there where it might fit, but I doubt it. He goes from his Underworld comic job, to capturing the Bith with the credits for Jabba, to Toprawa, to Tatooine all in the span of three to four weeks. And besides, Jabba didn't have a bounty out on Solo in the beginning of ANH.

More continuity crap from the LucasArts team. [face_plain]

Edit: At least the Databank makes it clear that it happened circa 9 BBY.
    The resultant clone uprising, which occurred about a decade into the Empire's rule, was put down by the elite 501st Legion of stormtroopers. The master of this Legion, Darth Vader, hired a special mercenary to lead the troopers in battle: Boba Fett, a product of the Kaminoan hatcheries.

[/quote]

Another confusing aspect of the Kamino mission is that afterward it is mentioned that from now on they are going to get their Stormtrooper from several different clone sources. But that means they were resupplying their forces with Fett clones from Kamino all the way up to 9 BBY. That means the Kaminoins were plotting a revolt against their largest (maybe only) client?

What's really screwed up is that on some maps in the game Jango Fett is the CIS hero class. That would mean Jango would be fighting his own clones, some of whom he personally trained. Fortunately, that's not part of the Single Player Campaign and therefor not canon. But think of what would happen if Fett wasn't stupid enough to go down to the arena and try to take out one jedi rather than staying by Dooku's side like he was hired to do. Of course Dooku hiring the guy the GAR is cloned from was stupid too. Did he think that wouldn't raise any suspicions of where the clone originated from? Well, it didn't, but it should have!

17. Tam_Elgrin

May 1, 2004
    >>"Another confusing aspect of the Kamino mission is that afterward it is mentioned that from now on they are going to get their Stormtrooper from several different clone sources. But that means they were resupplying their forces with Fett clones from Kamino all the way up to 9 BBY. That means the Kaminoins were plotting a revolt against their largest (maybe only) client?"<<

Well, that directly contradicts IN HIS IMAGE, in which right after RotS Vader is investigating alternate cloning sources/templates.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.