main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars: Battleground Announced

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Dan, Feb 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jebadia

jebadia Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2001
    no you ain't.
    that's it no hug for you....AND your off my xmass card list!!!

2. KansasNavy

KansasNavy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    I wasn't able to make the chat, so I gonna ask my questions that weren't answered. All right? Cool:

1)What are the units that you like the most?

2) Will Garry do the box cover art for GB?

3) Was it fun designing sea units since they will probably be the only ones in the SW universe?

There...

3. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    I got 5 questions answered. You can read them in the transcript.

My 2 favorites that I asked that I never thought they'd accept were:

1.) Will you be able to play Jar Jar in the Gungan campaign? (The answer is yes)

2.) Will Wookies be able to rip off Trade Federation droids' arms? (The answer is no)

:D :D

~Sithy~

4. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    That 2nd question had me laughing last night. Wish I would have asked asked it.

5. Wildwookiee

Wildwookiee Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2001
    I didn't get in on this untill it was too late...is it like FC or Rebellion?

6. Jaepee

Jaepee Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 19, 2001
    Neither. It's like Age Of Empires. But it's Star Wars.

No Force Boats, but...

7. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Yah, and Wildwookie, if you don't know what Age of Empires is, go to GameSpot.com, find their Age of Empires page, and then download the demo or just look at screenshots. That oughta give you a taste of what BG is gonna be like.

...I still wanna rip arms off the droids. Hmm, maybe I gave them an idea though. :D

~Sithy~[/i]

8. pat-fett

Mar 17, 2001
    That would be cool if the wookies had some kind of rampage mode like stem(SP?) packs for the troops of Star Craft had.

9. Young David

Young David Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 5, 1999
    Well ... it seems mr. Gabber lurks around here. So mr. Gaber this one is for you.

I'm a huge SW fan and a huge Age of Kings fan. I'm really looking forward to both GB and Age of Mythologie ... but this forum is all about the first one.

You've talked about new art for the AT-AT's. Is there any screenshot on-line already with one of those mecanics in it?

2nd. The scenario editor had some heroes in it that were not in the original campains (like King Arthur and Robin Hood). My request is that you put some EU characters in it also ... it just makes the user made campains a lot more fun. Characters I'm thinking about are: Thrawn, Pellaeon, Karrde, Xizor, Guri, Daala, Jacen, Jaina, Anakin (solo) ... maybe some more ...

And ofcourse there's been talk about an expansion pack already. The trouble is ... when it's time for an episode 3 expansion, the game is dated to much, the game is already pretty old.

So my suggestion, make an episode 2 expansion (with maybe some EU races in it) and after that, try to get the engine of Age of Mythology and make the ultimate battleground game, wich covers all six movies fully in 3d ... but now with a good engine.

Well that's it. I really hope you can make a good star wars game while keeping the AoK gamers happy (I don't want another AoK game, I want a new game wich plays like AoK).

Young David

10. KansasNavy

Mar 10, 2001
    I like David's idea on heroes. Maybe you could put Brenn Tantor (Force Commander) or Kyle Katarn or other elite soldiers from EU novels and games.

I also thought of a way to put the Yuuzhan Vong in an expansion pack. Their initial pre-strike force infiltrated the galaxy about 3 years after TPM. Maybe you could tie that in somehow.
    But an expansion pack is way off in te future, so its not that important.

11. Lone_Padawan

Lone_Padawan Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2001
    I want to know how jedi and dark jedi will behave, will they beable to defflect blasterbolts and other lightsabres also what kind of force powers can we expect to see? Perssuasion (Like a temporary cloak I suppose) speed? Grip?(In FC vaders never worked I know I cheat...) Throw saber? Also I don't like the ideo of double sabers being darkside only... Jedi should use too and two sabers (An army of Bocs, Hmmm feisty) Has anyone got any screenies of Jedi yet? Oh yeah and will all lightsabres be one colour?

12. Dark_Sith_Alf

Dark_Sith_Alf Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2000
    Vader's grip in Force Commander only works on Rebel infantry I think. But by the time he gets down to Hoth you usually have killed all of the Rebel infantry.

13. Dark_Sith_Alf

Aug 30, 2000
    Which units that appeared in Force Commander will be appearing in Galactic Battlegrounds? Does anyone know?

14. KansasNavy

Mar 10, 2001
    Dark_Sith_Alf: AT-AA, Hover Tank, Attack Tank, Y-wing, Airspeeder, Trooper, Torpedo Launcher, TIE Bomber, TIE Fighter, AT-ST, AT-AT, AT-PT, Stormies. Thats all i've seen.

You know what I noticed? Artillery will be alot easier to handle than in AoK. Since (Im assuming) infantry will use blasters, they'll be able to shoot from a distance. Allowing for some good artillery blasts. That is something I hated alot about from AoK. You could get only a few good artillery shots at enemy units before they were on your troops. I found it to be a waste of money.

Although, that could backfire. Infantry were pretty good at dyeing when being attacked by artillery in Force Commander...

15. Dark_Sith_Alf

Aug 30, 2000
    From what I've seen in the E3 movie previews, one type of Stormtrooper will have a ground setup laser cannon.(like a Maxim machine gun)

16. Dark_Sith_Alf

Aug 30, 2000
    Does anyone know if enemy units will be able to be converted in Battlegrounds?

17. StormtrooperVF101

StormtrooperVF101 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 29, 2001
    I was wondering if there is a expansion pack will it increase the amount of units you can have per map. I've been a die hard RTS fan ever since.....never mind since when.. And I have loved having huge armies facing off against another. But if this cannont be done i am perfectly fine with that.

18. KansasNavy

Mar 10, 2001
    We're getting ahead of ourselves. We should wait, at the VERY least, till the game comes out.

I'm wondering if they have drawn anything from books or other games (besides ForceComm). I love units :X. Battle for Naboo may have some insight to Trade Fed and Naboo stuff.

-The Naboo bomber would be a nice machine. And the Police Cruiser would be the level before the N-1.
    -The Trade Federation would have the Droid Bombers. The gunboat would be an excellent Sea Unit. While the Heavy STAP would be the level after a STAP.

19. pat-fett

Mar 17, 2001
    In the chat La had it was mentioned that there would be EU characters like Mara Jade as well as Dark Troopers from DF as units.

20. Lone_Padawan

Lone_Padawan Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2001
    I reckon the heavy stap would be on the same level as the the normal stap as it is more of a ground veichle and is less maneuvarable, etc. The stap will be more of an'Infantry of the air' :)

21. Garry_M_Gaber

Garry_M_Gaber Director SW Galactic Battlegrounds VIP

Apr 21, 2001
    Things are really heating up. We just hit Alpha last week, which means the team is moving full speed ahead toward Beta, and then release. The Alpha milestone means that all of the civilization art is represented. We have successfully balanced three of the six civilizations; a lot of sounds are final in the game ; level design art list is locked down; and we have an installer that works. Suffice it to say, the game is really coming together!

In answer to Thrawn05 (6/26), we considered using command points in Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds early on, but abandoned the idea because it didn't really seem to fit with the resources we were creating for the game. As far as the AT-AT/Stormtrooper size differential, we have readdressed scale in the game. There is a screenshot at lucasarts.com/products/battelgrounds/images/screens/12.jpg showing the new relationship. The AT-AT feels a lot better now, more like the powerful unit that it is.

In response to Dark_Sith_Alf (6/27) , Buildings and Turrets will not count against your overall total fighting units. There is no concept of experience levels in SW:BG.

In answer to KansasNavy's (6/28) three questions, the units I like the most are the Gungan Mechs, because they are all dinosaur-like creatures, and the Rebel X-wing and the Rebel Multipurpose Droid. I will not be doing the box art for Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds (too many other things on my plate), but rest assured, we have extremely talented individuals putting the cover together. It's shaping up to be pretty epic, actually . The sea units in this game were designed by our lead artist, Christopher Williams, and conceptual designer, Greg Knight. From the look of the many unusual units and buildings in the game, it is fairly evident that they had a lot of fun designing them.

In answer to Young David (6/30), the scenario editor has lots of characters unrelated to the campaigns in the game, but related to the Star Wars universe. Just a few of the many scenario editor units are the A-wing fighter, Mara Jade, Yoda, Emperor Palpatine, Milennium Falcon, Anakin, and many others.

In reply to Lone_Padawan (7/1), the Jedi and Sith have special powers and upgrades that no other single unit in the game possesses. Aside from Jedi Mind Tricks and Jedi Perception, they can also turn other units to their civilizations side, and are amazing melee fighters.

Dark_Sith_Alf (7/3), we tried to use units from our other games, including Star Wars Force Commander. The Rebel Mech Destroyers bear an uncanny resemblance to the Rebel Hover Tank and Rebel Attack Tank, and the Imperial Anti-Air Mobile looks a lot like the AT-AA. The Rebel Anti-Air Mobile resembles the Rebel Proton Torpedo Launcher. Also, from Dark Forces, we have used the Dark Trooper as a unique unit for the Galactic Empire. In answer to your (7/4) query, yes, some enemy units will be able to be converted (turned by Jedi).

Thanks for your support, and please keep the questions coming,

Garry M. Gaber
    Director
    Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds

22. AlienAcid

AlienAcid Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    Cool you hit alpha.. :D :D :D

What Kind of protection are you going to use to make sure no warez sites get this before it goes gold?

23. Dark_Sith_Alf

Aug 30, 2000
    Thanks fo the information Garry M Gaber.

So for confirmation, will I be able to hunt Ewoks in the Scenerio Editor?

24. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    Alpha, woohoo! Thanks for the update.

25. Young David

Young David Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 5, 1999
    Am I mistaking or ... is that the first picture with Wookiees in it?

Also, the AT-AT's look great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.