main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars: Battleground Announced

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Dan, Feb 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    yep - i was like damn they must be wookies! they look cool (i guess in the game youll be able to kill ewoks)

2. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    Great update. The wookies look very interesting.I have a question. What are the resourses for energy going to be? Also how will it be harvested?

3. El_Emperador

El_Emperador Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 18, 2001
    Wow! Great!!!!

Okay, first screenshot: Wookies vs. Empire AT-ATs look 100% better, thanks Gary!! Wow, more reason not to upset a wookie...

2nd: Gungans vs. TF. Gee that building in the middle is very strange. I like the style of the one at the botoom of the screen better. Ok, at the top lefthand corner I think that's a Sith. Personally I think he should have a hood. What's that animal next to him? Do the Jedi/Sith's lightsabre color change along with the Civ color, or just the belt?

3rd: Rebs vs. Imps on an asteroid I guess. Looks like some troop transports there. Wow.. I can't believe how much better that AT-AT looks now. Question Gary: When you click on a unit, does it show up as the name of the unit (like Rebel Hover Tank) or the type of unit (like Mech Destoryer) It would be nice to have the actual name of it.

4th: Wookies here. Our first look at the forests! Neat. Looks like we see some villager-esque things there. Might be a droid or a "shaven-down" Wookie.

5th. TF vs. Naboo. Ooooh! Naboo buildings look grand! I wish more buildings would have made it into this screenshot. But at least we're seeing... Naboo Bombers. To anyone who has played BfN: Do these look like the ones in the game? They look neat, but a little small. It's kinda odd that the blaster shots seem to "streak" across the screen. You know what would be neat? If MTTs could take down trees if you ran into them :) Kinda like siege onagers in AoK.

Okay, keep up the good work team!

4. Young David

Young David Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 5, 1999
    I guess you won't be able anymore to pass a gate with an AT-AT ...

5. KansasNavy

KansasNavy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    Anybody see the Wookie fighter in the first pic. It's right in the middle. Looks ugly, right. But so do A-10s. I'd bet alot the wookies might be the most underestimated group.

6. Dark_Sith_Alf

Dark_Sith_Alf Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2000
    It's fun to own a real AT-AT. It's fun to fire the chin gun on an AT-AT. -YMCA-

7. Dark_Sith_Alf

Aug 30, 2000
    "The Trade Federation and Empire get Sith. The rest get Jedi, but not all civs are strong in Jedi."-Garry M Gaber

I'm guessing that the Galactic Empire Sith will be strong, The Trade Federation Sith will be moderate, The Rebel Alliance Jedi will be strong, The Royal Naboo Jedi will be moderate, and the Gungan Jedi will be weak.

I hope Garry M Gaber posts a reply telling which civilization's Jedi/Sith will be more powerful.

The Gungans do well with water vehicles but not with land vehicles.
    So what will each civilization's terrain advantages be??

8. CosmicMonk

CosmicMonk Jedi Youngling

Jul 13, 2001
    The first civilization I'm using will be the Wookies. Even though few screenshots have been released of them, they look awesome.

The heroes idea is pretty sound. I'd like to see some Noghri commandos on the side of the Imperials included either in the game or the scenario editor.

9. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    The first civ I'm gonna use is Wooks, too...I'm playing the campaigns in order and the Wook tutorial campaign is first.

10. Dark_Sith_Alf

Aug 30, 2000
    I'm going to play the tutorial first also. I have a little trick up my sleeve from AoK the makes it so I can advance to the Castle Age(I haven't tried Imperial Age) in the second level of the William Wallace learning campain before mission objectives are completed. 50 wood and 50 gold to win. Make sure you never have 50 wood or 50 gold at the same time. Assuming the Wookie learning campain is similar, I'll be able to do the same thing.
    So I'll be able to see all of the cool weapons of Wookies in the second level!

I'll probably play the campains in order also.

11. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    your gonna start the game off (second level) with a cheat?!?!? fun (doesnt that destroy all the point of buying the game and trying to complete it on your own merits? - each to their own)

12. KansasNavy

Mar 10, 2001
    The Naboo don't have a campaign. I just noticed it. Do you play as them also in the Gungan campaign, or do they just not have a campaign?

13. Dark_Sith_Alf

Aug 30, 2000
    I'm being misinterpreted.

I'm not going to cheat. It's just resource management. Like I was saying, you can advance to the Castle Age legit in the second level of the William Wallace learning campain. The level objectives are to collect 50 wood, 50 food, and 50 gold. But I don't want to finsh or win the level until I reach the Castle Age so I make sure I never have 50 wood, 50 food, and 50 gold at the same time.

All I do is use villagers to harvest wood and food. I use all the wood for what I need then I start collecting gold with the villagers. Then I use all of the gold and start collecting wood again. Then I just keep going back and forth with the resource management. It's a lot of hard work. It's not a cheat.
    It takes hours and hours and even more hours to do it.

Another question for Gaber. In Age of Empires II, storing relics in the monestary slowly add gold to your resources. Will relics in Galactic Battlegrounds have the same effect when stored in a Jedi Temple/Sith Temple?

14. Dark_Sith_Alf

Aug 30, 2000
    Nevermind.

I have decided I'm going to beat the entire game without cheats.

15. Rikalonius

Rikalonius Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2001
    I'm so glad to hear the ATT are bigger than normal land units. I think they should be like Trebuchet, They should have devistating power, but not be able to hit within 3 or 4 measurment units, thus allowing lone Jedi to be able to destroy them. This follows the films a bit, but it also seems to be a good check and balance type of thing.

My next concern, and I've tried to read as much as possible because I didn't want to look like a fool for asking, but what about healers. Is this the job of a Jedi, as in AOK since this unit shares so many other similarities with the Priest/Monk unit, or is there a medical unit, ie Starcraft Brood War. I'm hoping for the latter, although I already worry, as others do, about unit saturation.

My last and most trivial question is concerning why Lucas Arts decided to pick the Royal Naboo as a Civ? Obviously for commercial reasons, but by their own admission they don't have an army. Why not use something like the Mandalorian, so you could farm attention for the upcoming Episode II. In addition to helping fill the gaps between EI and New Hope. Well, I'm sure you know what you are doing. I'm assuming that Imperial Bounty hunters look like Boba Fett? Please?

Rik

16. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Re: Mandalorians

There are no such thing. Lucas has pretty much erased that whole Mandalorian thing.

I think there'll be an Ep2 mission pack released to coincide with the movie.

17. KansasNavy

Mar 10, 2001
    I hope there's an option to toggle the names from purpose (i.e. 2-seat mech) to an actual name. I like intimidating names. Like Apocalypse Tank (RA2) to Trebuchet.

Also, the Naboo tank (in the last new pic) looks like a winner. Just because Naboo don't have a large military, doesn't mean they aren't advanced. Like Sweden or Canada. They'll be fun to play.

18. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    o ok

yes sorry dark_sith_alf i did missunderstand where you were comming from - now i understand!

19. Compa_Mighty

Compa_Mighty Jedi Master

Jul 27, 2001
    I don't like gungan units very much, will they be better than the last screens? say, there's a kind of mounted unit, which looks strange...

20. Dark_Sith_Alf

Aug 30, 2000
    I looked at what I wrote on the first post about the "trick up my sleeve". I thought about it and it does sound like I was planning a cheat. I'm not going to cheat. Sorry about the mix up SithForceLord.

I think this is why there isn't a Royal
    Naboo campain:

The Wookies have a learning campain and a main campain. There are 6 campains, Galactic Empire, Rebel Alliance, Gungan, Trade Federation, Wookie, and the Wookie learning campain. 2 Wookie campains. That's why there's no Naboo campain. You will be able to use the Naboo on multiplayer and campain editor though.

Just what I think. We'll all have to wait for Gaber's next post to be sure.

21. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
  22. KansasNavy

Mar 10, 2001
    Beat me to it, Dan.

Rebels get Juggernaut's, aye. I thought they were Imp, but oh well. Are those the 10-wheelers on the new pics at the home site? Funny that the Reb's best mech (maybe) is my screen name. Coincidence? Doubt it. ;)

Also, the naval units seem cool. Nothing better than to go Iwo Jima on your opponent. I'm very interested in seeing some more units now. 'Update that on the home page', I say. This is getting more exciting as this GB progresses. I'm going to have heart failure waiting for both GB and Yuri's Revenge till Fall.

Has anybody seen what looks like the predecessor to the AT-AT at the IGN site? What are those called?

23. Dark_Sith_Alf

Aug 30, 2000
    I don't know either what the "predecessor to the AT-AT" is. It's a space station battle, so maybe the AT-AT has special modifications for space combat.

It's an old screenshot though. Maybe it was an early design for the AT-AT.

24. Dark_Sith_Alf

Aug 30, 2000
    Another question for Garry M Gaber. The monks in Age of Empires II had an upgrade called "Redemption" that allowed them to convert enemy monks. Will there be a similar upgrade in Battlegrounds that allows Jedi to convert Sith or Sith to convert Jedi?

25. Rikalonius

Rikalonius Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2001
    Well according to game specs, all Jedi/sith can turn invisable, thus giving them the ability to slip past enemies, as in Dark Templar and Ghosts. I think that is a really good idea. Plus their ability to convert other units like AOK monks, and a powerful melee attack. I'm excited the try them.

I do however disagree that some civs should have weaker Jeds/Sith than others. One can never tell who the force will be with. The Jedi council kinda reminded me of the Green Lantern Corp.

I couldn't imagine that Wookies would have weaker Jedi than the rebs, with their staunch commitment to being in simbiance with nature. The Gungans I guess, initially wouldn't have powerful Jedi cause they weren't previ to advanced training. But once they were represented in the Senate, I'm sure the Jedi recruiters would set up at the local Gungan pre-schools collecting midi-chlorian samples.

On the lighters side, maybe the game designers should put in a filter that only allows the player to have two active Jedi/Sith during the game. This would prevent huge Jedi rushes, and also be inline with Yoda's master/apprentice theory.

Ok, enough babbling from me.

Ric

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.