main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Star Wars: Before the Awakening

Discussion in 'Literature' started by BigAl6ft6, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Cheerios4u98

Cheerios4u98 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 4, 2015
    Sooo...

The stormtrooper in TFA who yells "traitor!" at Finn is confirmed to be Nines.

That actually makes the scene in the movie much sadder...

2. Darth_Monopoly

Darth_Monopoly Jedi Master star 2

Jun 6, 2006
    I just saw this as well. I had suspected this to be the case, but I didn't expect confirmation so soon or in this way. He definitely is a popular character though.

Cheerios4u98 likes this.
  3. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    So what happened to the last trooper, one wonders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Well he's obviously Snoke;)

canadianwookie and Cheerios4u98 like this.
  5. Cheerios4u98

Cheerios4u98 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 4, 2015
    The last trooper went on to be one of the stormtroopers in the background of the movies who never does anything.

6. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Maybe he's the one Finn stabbed with the lightsaber when he stood up. It would add one more insult to Nines' injury and make him as mad as he sounded when he shouted "Traitor!"

7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I just read the Finn story. Oh look- social Darwinism. Because that always works out in a military force. :p

8. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    I loved this novel. Definitely now one of my favorite SW books. Really enhances the film on subsequent viewings. Especially with Finn's story, how Jakku was his last chance to prove he could be the best stormtrooper, he blew it, knows he's screwed and doesn't want to serve this order anymore, so he deserts. And that Nines is the stormtrooper he fights on Takodana is even cooler. Little things like this is what makes the SW universe so amazing!

Rey's story just pissed me off. I loved it, but got mad and sad at the end. I knew those two would steal her ship, and was getting angrier near the end, especially when Rey just left them aboard to go and get Unkar. Now I feel for her even more in the beginning of the movie.

Poe's story was a thrill to read through, maybe the best one. Loved the progression, and it was great to see exactly how and why he joined the Resistance, and why he's Leia's best pilot as stated in the opening crawl. I definitely want more stories like this, showing the lead up to TFA and how the First Order is operating in secret.

Kylun, Sinrebirth and Iron_lord like this.
  9. THE EVIL CLIFFIE

THE EVIL CLIFFIE Jedi Master star 2

Jul 11, 2008
    The closing line of Rey's story basically broke my heart.

10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah, I just read that one. :( Though, it makes her near-instant friendship with Finn even better. So, :)

THE EVIL CLIFFIE likes this.
  11. psenci

psenci Jedi Knight

Jan 15, 2016
    Hello all! (first message, but reading the forum since ancient times)

Just read Rey's story, and there's something that I find intriguing. What's up with that ship that arrives with a man, a woman, and a younger girl? Rey's sees it, admits not knowing anything about that, and we go on to another scene. That ship and those people aren't mentioned again in her story. Don't you find that misterious? Why mention that if it doesn't have importance to the story at all? Maybe you've already talked about this, but I haven't found anything. Am I missing something?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. iucounu

iucounu Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 28, 2014

It is intriguing, isn't it?

Rey's seen this ship land maybe ten times. Each time, the same human man comes out. This time he's with a woman and a young girl. He shows them Unkar's, and the girl seems sad or reluctant, and the woman protective of her. He tells them to go and wait in the ship while he speaks to Unkar.

What I'd assume is that the guy with the ship regularly brings people to Unkar's and has some kind of arrangement where Unkar looks after people in return for their labour. I suspect that might be what happened with Rey. The fact that she doesn't recognise him might factor in to whatever's going on with her memory...?

THE EVIL CLIFFIE and psenci like this.
  13. psenci

psenci Jedi Knight

Jan 15, 2016

I think something like that too. It could be the biggest clue in Rey's Story about "why" is she there, or what can we expect in the future.

I love to search for these "clues" in these stories of the new canon, but sometimes I don't know if I may be "over analyzing". Really liking the book so far.

14. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    And now I've read the Poe one. Overall these were very enjoyable reads, and each story "fit" the character really well.

And it's funny, I got serious Garm Bel Iblis vibes from Leia in the Poe section.

Iron_lord, Kylun and Jedi Ben like this.
  15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I just read Finn's story. Pretty sad that he feels like he can't fit in because he has compassion, and has been led to believe that having compassion means there is something wrong with him.

Pretty sure I'm going to be cheering even louder next time I see the scene when he defects on Jakku.

This story did a good job with Phasma, enough that I could see Gwendoline Christie under that armor.

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Now finished the Rey story. All the complaints in the TFA forum about why she was able to fly the Falcon are explained here. She fixed it and studied it, why wouldn't she know how it works?

The ending was sad; she was abandoned at every turn.

17. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Rucka did what he could on Rey's tale but I just couldn't get too involved in it because I knew she wasn't getting off that rock.

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    And Poe...

Glad to see his mother was an Alliance pilot but I was not clear on what happened to her--killed in action, or death of natural causes afterwards? Either way, nice to see that she was the one who got him interested in the job.

Also love that he was on to the First Order as a genuine threat. I loved his meeting with Leia, and the corrupt Senator whose ship he was asked to invade. Sad that the New Republic got complacent and mired in political bull**** so quickly, after their experience with the Empire.

Gorefiend and Jedi Ben like this.
  19. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    If you want to see Poe's Mum, kicking all kinds of arse, as an A-Wing pilot - grab Shattered Empire.

Kylun and Force Smuggler like this.
  20. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I've been trying to be spoiler free for this book, and just picked it up.

So if the FN troop has to fight FO troop and FL troop during training, does that mean... there's an FU troop?

This might be worth questioning Story Group on someday. Wookieepedia won't be complete without an FU page.

21. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I like this but, doesn't it make her dismissal of the Falcon as "garbage" kind of odd? If she's worked on it, shouldn't she have a better sense for what's going on beneath the surface?

Though I suppose there's a far cry between that and actually piloting it.

22. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Just because you fix something doesn't mean you still don't consider it garbage. I'd rather think, depending on how often you have to repair it, it might have the opposite effect. The Falcon's never been the easiest ship to maintain.

23. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Hahahahaha Rucka brought back "refresher." :p Where's that thread where folks were rejoicing in its demise?

Also Leia randomly namedrops the acronym "CSA" when talking to Poe. A lower-case "corporate sector" appears much earlier in the book, so I can only imagine she's speaking of the Authority.

24. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I, for one, am very fond of those silly-sounding so-called sci-fi terms.

25. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    I do too -- Asimov, Bradbury, and all the venerable sci-fi old guard used to use them all time.